Sign in with
Your question

HELP! CPU/mobo damage during replacing CPU.

Last response: in CPUs
June 25, 2009 8:13:12 PM

Hello,

Recently I replace CPU in my home server from LE-1200(AM2 socket) to athlon 7850(AM2+ socket) for better virtualization performance.

From previous experience, I let the server on for about 1 hours under heavy CPU load (disk I/O backup) to heat the CPU up, in order to prevent the thermal putty stick the CPU and heatsink together.

Then I open the heatsink clip pull the heatsink....and then the cpu and heatsink come off together. Luckly no pins on CPU get bend. But the socket lever is still on locking place.

This time it seems that the socket get damaged. (last time didn't) After I install the new CPU and power up my server, I get no display, no beep sound, and no BIOS POST messages. The harddisk and CDROM seems spinning and CPU get powered (because CPU heat up).

I also noticed when I lift the lever and trying to remove the new CPU, I hear a abnormal click sound and feel resistance when lifting the lever. The socket sake a when it click.

my mobo is Gigabyte GA-M61PME-S2

My question is:

1. did the socket damaged and I need to replace mobo?

2. how do I seperate the old CPU and heatsink...they still stick together now. I tried to twist them in different direction but didn't work out.

3. What's the correct way to remove CPU from AM2 socket? Last time I trying to remove CPU I damage my CPU and this time I damage the mobo....What a poor design...

Any help is appreciated.

Regards
xbtsw
a c 159 à CPUs
June 25, 2009 11:20:03 PM

Place the heatsink and cpu in the freezer for a couple of hours; if you still can't separate them, use acetate (nail polish remover) in small quantities with an eye dropper to dispense it between the heatsink and cpu to disolve some of the paste. Before trying the new cpu again, check the bios version of your board if possible to make sure the board supports the new cpu. It will be displayed on the post screen, so you may have to use your old cpu to check.
June 26, 2009 3:06:42 AM

It sounds like your MB is trashed - sorry! In the future, I would try removing both CPU and heatsink together (loosen the CPU socket lever), then separate the CPU and heatsink once you have them out of the computer.
Although Intel's 4-push-pin cooler mounting system has design issues, at least their CPU securing mechanism for socket 775 and now for the i7 prevent these kinds of cooler-stuck-to-CPU problems.
Related resources
June 26, 2009 4:27:22 AM

o1die said:
Place the heatsink and cpu in the freezer for a couple of hours; if you still can't separate them, use acetate (nail polish remover) in small quantities with an eye dropper to dispense it between the heatsink and cpu to disolve some of the paste. Before trying the new cpu again, check the bios version of your board if possible to make sure the board supports the new cpu. It will be displayed on the post screen, so you may have to use your old cpu to check.

Thanks for the advice, according to gigabyte website the mobo supports the new cpu, I am now placed the old cpu into freezer and hope it can separate.
June 26, 2009 4:30:12 AM

Mondoman said:
It sounds like your MB is trashed - sorry! In the future, I would try removing both CPU and heatsink together (loosen the CPU socket lever), then separate the CPU and heatsink once you have them out of the computer.
Although Intel's 4-push-pin cooler mounting system has design issues, at least their CPU securing mechanism for socket 775 and now for the i7 prevent these kinds of cooler-stuck-to-CPU problems.

The worst part of AM2 (maybe AM3, I don't know) socket is before the heatsink is removed, one have no access to CPU lever (the lever is blocked by the heatsink).

The intel 4-pin heatsink system is hard to remove too. However I think the CPU mounting mechanism is better than AMD's. The metal frame makes it more robust.

Maybe the CPUs are designed to install-only.....
June 26, 2009 4:47:37 AM

Hmmmm,had the very same experience not to long ago had to separate them with a putty knife,cleaned them off checked for missing/bent pins ,greased and installed new cpu and "away we went"accidentally pulling them out together should not trash either the mobo or the cpu,,,,PSSST make sure that you have the RIGHT bois VERSION for your new cpu..:) 
June 26, 2009 4:54:03 AM

dokk2 said:
Hmmmm,had the very same experience not to long ago had to separate them with a putty knife,cleaned them off checked for missing/bent pins ,greased and installed new cpu and "away we went"accidentally pulling them out together should not trash either the mobo or the cpu,,,,PSSST make sure that you have the RIGHT bois VERSION for your new cpu..:) 

Thanks for the advice, I would check the BIOS version after I manage to separate my old cpu and heatsink...
June 26, 2009 9:27:18 PM

UPDATE:
After I put the CPU and heatsink into freezer they still can't be saparated.
And I tried to use a small screw driver, but they are too tight..
Finally I saparated them by using a drop of WD-40 between CPU and heatsink, they saparated instantly.

After install the old CPU onto the motherboard, the computer still can't startup, the motherboard prove dead.

Still looking for the correct (or the safest) approach to uninstall CPU from AM2 socket.....
June 26, 2009 9:46:48 PM

Lift to socket lever up. Put the cpu in it carfully. Lock down the lever. Put the cpu fan on. plugg in the fan. First only try one or two memory sticks.
Install the video card. Then the harddrive and cd rom. Finally do this carefully chech every components and mke sure the power is fully conected
And put in straight like the cpu and memory. It also could be that you video card is not working. plugg in only mouse and key board usb
June 26, 2009 11:23:49 PM

Quote:
3. What's the correct way to remove CPU from AM2 socket? Last time I trying to remove CPU I damage my CPU and this time I damage the mobo....What a poor design...

Do small twists in both direction until it becomes loose. Then pull.
Works everytime with a hard to remove heatsink.
June 26, 2009 11:39:33 PM

+1 to wuzy

i've installed and removed cpu's and heatsinks on everything from a 386sx to phenom II (not done an i7 yet :)  ) and never once had a problem or damaged any hardware....

seriously little twisting motion back and forth with upward pressure after unhooking the heatsink will always remove it safely and with as little force as is necessary.
!