DVI to VGA through KVM Switch Problem

bmanfeeb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
I have a new pc that only has DVI outs on the video card. I use a Belkin KVM and my old PC, a laptop, has VGA out and my monitor has a VGA in. Using the DVI to VGA adapter that came with my Geforce GTS250 video card, I get no video through the KVM from my new PC, but when I hook it up directly to the monitor(bypass the switch), it works. I'm assuming I need a new KVM? Not sure which one though as I need to connect it to a monitor with a VGA input, a PC with VGA out, and a PC with DVI out.

Lavarin

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Thinking of no other solution, here's what I've come up with:

Hey bmanfeeb, how old is your KVM? Your right to assume that your switch is not processing the signal from your desktop properly, and you may need a newer model that properly interprets converted signals from a DVI port.

Look through NewEgg for something that has a better rating than your current KVM.

I have a 7 year old 4 port Cybex Switchview has no problem with a DVI/VGA adapter.

Do you have the little 2 port Belkin switch? If so, it's strange that it will not work with an adapter.

bmanfeeb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Thanks for the responses!

My KVM is about a year old and it is the 2 port Belkin Model#F1DK102P.

I'm thinking about going with an IOGear GCS22u because it's cheap and I don't want to spend to much just to find out it won't work either. It has 5 eggs on NewEgg. What do you think?

bmanfeeb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Well, I'm guessing something must've been wrong with my Belkin. I went out and got an IOGear GCS42UW6 and it works fine. Thanks again for the feedback.