eleusis

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Hey - I am having ridiculous computer problems recently!

Upon looking into it further I noticed that my processor is over heating. Voltages are wonky (says a friend) and I hardlock up after 20-40minutes into any full screen video game.

I have swtiched my: RAM, Video Card, and even my MoBo all to no avail

Here are the temps at Idle:

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5306/idletemp.jpg

Notice how my CPU Core, Core 1 and Core 2 are all different? When playing Left4Dead they rise up to 60C + then eventually the hardlock comes.

Here are the voltages at Idle:

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/9326/idlevoltage.jpg

I have never overclocked.

nForce 780i Motherboard --> Switched to ASUS P5Q
9800GX2 --> Switched to nVidia 7600GT
2GBs Ballistix RAM --> Switched to Patriot Viper Series
Intel Core Duo e8400 @ 3.00GHz (replaced stock cooler with Freezer 7 Pro + Arctic 5)
Windows Service Pack 2
SILENCER 750Watt High Performance Power Supply
I got a really good case with 5+ fans, one of them is huge

Thank You!!

eleusis

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
I will try swapping out the PSU tomorrow!

If that doesn't work -

Could it be a faulty processor? I thought it would cause more of a fuss then just overheating / acting like it was overheating if it was faulty...who knows!

Anyways, thanks for the tips!

cheers from canada

tweak13

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Heres some help-

Try running Primes torture test for 24 hours with nothing overclocked.

Even though you've replaced the mobo and ram test out that area too with memtest86, I've had multiple situations where the board I replaced came back bad, or the ram has come back with another dead stick.

If possible get your psu tested or swap it out with known good one.

If the CPU fails the torture test you may want to retry with no power savings options enabled.

If you find the CPU is the problem claim warranty but DO NOT tell them you are using an aftermarket cooler, although its better than the stock, they will deny your warranty because of it, I've ran into it before just trust me on this.

I looked at the temps. One core is overheating. It looks like either the CPU is defective or you have a problem with the HSF.

Is the HSF properly installed? I know you replaced the motherboard, so you had two chances of getting it right. But did you install the CPU and HSF before you installed the motherboard in the case or after? I am a proponent of installing the CPU and HSF before installing the motherboard in the case. It's the only way of really ensuring that the HSF is installed properly.

I doubt if your PSU is the problem. PSU voltages look very good.

And you should not need to run the case fans on HIGH.

eleusis

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Right on guys, thanks for the advice.

I believe CORE and GPU are the same thing though! They are having the same readings in all the tests we have been doing

I swapped out my e8400 to an e8500 now and I will check it out!

I am noticing that my 12V readings in speed fan are high, and when running ASUS PC Probe I got some kind of warning about 12V+ - Could be wrong though. BIOS readings are 12.03V which are perfectly fine. Seems high compared to my buddies computer, hes running at 6.3V in Speed Fan while im at 9.87V

Thanks again for all the help