AMD Phenom II x2 555 unlock

Status
Not open for further replies.

mm8k

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
Hi,

I about to start a new build, with the 555 dual core processor.
I wanted to try unlocking it to a quad core, but will not be doing any actual overclocking. Does anyone know if it will run at stable temps with just the stock cooler?

Solution

I unlocked my 555 to a quad but it needed +0.025v to boot.

From there it went up to 3.6v stable before any more voltage was needed so its worth considering an overclock that doesn't increase the voltage for the obvious benifits.

Generally the stock coolers aren't too good, they will keep it cool at low voltage but most even cheap aftermarket coolers with 120mm fans will drop the temps and the noise in your case, highly recommended upgrade.

Luckily the 555 seems to run pretty cool, good luck...

freshnbaked

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
Yes I've done it with a $50 Mobo to 4 cores at 4.1ghz, It ran fine with prime 95 for 9 hours while I slept. HardwareMon had a max of 74 c with the stock cooler in a old crab bag I call my tower. It was alot of fun and gave it to a newcomer in the world of computers, my 17 year old cousin and runs crysis maxxed out with quad 250 gts's

I unlocked my 555 to a quad but it needed +0.025v to boot.

From there it went up to 3.6v stable before any more voltage was needed so its worth considering an overclock that doesn't increase the voltage for the obvious benifits.

Generally the stock coolers aren't too good, they will keep it cool at low voltage but most even cheap aftermarket coolers with 120mm fans will drop the temps and the noise in your case, highly recommended upgrade.

Luckily the 555 seems to run pretty cool, good luck with the unlock.

Solution

mm8k

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010

Thanks for the advice. I managed to unlock it without a problem, but ended up getting a relatively cheap Cooler Master heatsink, which keeps it below 40 even under load.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS