Sign in with
Your question

Filemate usb external + hitachi 1Tb SATA- WONT FORMAT

Last response: in Storage
October 15, 2010 1:37:00 PM

Tom,
I have a filemate external usb with a new 1TB Hitachi SATA drive. The computer beeps knowing that teh USB is plugged in, but Windows 7 doesn't load the disc. When I tried Disk management from your information post, DM sees it but says it is not ready when I try to format. Is there a need for the jumper on the drive next to the power and I/o connector? i dont have the jumper on the pins. How do I get it to initialize. This is a brand new HP AllinOne computer with windows 7.
a c 104 G Storage
October 15, 2010 4:34:36 PM

Hello,

You don't have to place any jumpers on the HDD. It should work just as you pruchased it with the SATA/USB PCB interface.

For completeness, check out these items in sequence.

First turn on the ext HDD and connect the USB cable so that it is running when you boot up your computer and it is available for the BIOS, Disk Manager, and by the OS in Disk Management.

Go to system setup in the BIOS configuration, and check that it is recognized as Disk 1, or Disk 2 and enabled or auto.

Then reboot, and when the OS has loaded, check in Disk Manager in System Properties and see that it is listed and working properly.

Then go to the Windows Disk Management. Right click on the Drive, choose the Partition sizes, either as a single large volume or 2 or more Simple Volumes. The only choice as to Drive Type with 1 single drive is a Basic Disk with a Simple Volume. Then Format each Partition with NTFS, and finally assign a "Friendly Name" to it (them) and a Drive Letter designation(s).

It should then show up in your file structure and should be ready for use.
October 22, 2010 12:34:55 AM

tl0720 said:
Tom,
I have a filemate external usb with a new 1TB Hitachi SATA drive. The computer beeps knowing that teh USB is plugged in, but Windows 7 doesn't load the disc. When I tried Disk management from your information post, DM sees it but says it is not ready when I try to format. Is there a need for the jumper on the drive next to the power and I/o connector? i dont have the jumper on the pins. How do I get it to initialize. This is a brand new HP AllinOne computer with windows 7.

Thanks for the reply instructions. However, after multiple tries I could not get it to work, so I took it back to fry's and got a ACOMDATA version. It came up recognizable by Disk Manager first time without multiple re-boots and I was able to format. All is well now.
I guess maybe a few more re-boots with it plugged in may have gotten me past the "no see" condition.
Disk manager actually saw the drive but would not format it.
a c 104 G Storage
October 22, 2010 1:01:53 AM

Hi there,

Glad you have a working ext USB drive. I wonder if the 1st HDD might have been a restocked unit at Fry's and that a different File system had already been formatted on it.

The key thing is you went through stepwise troubleshooting, and exchanged the non workable HDD, which you did yourself.
Should get a gold star!
!