• BIOS
  • Boot
  • USB
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 15, 2010 4:38:14 PM

I am unsure if this is the correct place or not. I have a laptop that I am trying to boot from an external USB hard drive. I have gone in to the BIOs and enabled all the usb sections and move them to the first few lines. Two things one the drive is not seen in the bios and it will not boot. I can take a flash drive/usb thumbdrive and plug it in and there are no problems. Am I missing something here. I have an older model of it and it sees the drive in the Bios, but they are different Bios. Any ideas I know I can boot from cds etc...I am trying to eliminate cds all together with this boot process. Thanks.

Adam

More about : usb bios

a b G Storage
October 15, 2010 11:29:36 PM

Confirm that your have the USB HDD connected to a functional USB port and that the USB HDD is powered on when you boot.
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 16, 2010 1:15:53 AM

treefrog07 said:
Confirm that your have the USB HDD connected to a functional USB port and that the USB HDD is powered on when you boot.

Yep it only has 1 accesible port so that is the one we keep switching between, teh external lights come on and it spins so I am assuming it has power. Next ideas.
m
l
a b G Storage
October 16, 2010 1:36:32 AM

You may be out of luck, only some computers can boot from an external USB device and I haven’t seen this option on a laptop computer before. Check with the manufacturers web site to see if there is a BIOS upgrade to add this feature.
m
l
!