Two receivers, Two TVs, how to share signal?

Last response: in Home Theatre
November 19, 2004 5:10:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.dbs.echostar,alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

I just moved to satellite dish from cable TV. I have 2 tvs in
different rooms. Each TV has its own Dish receiver. Both receivers are
connected to the same Dish 500 antenna in my patio.

Everything works fine.

I recently bought a pay-per-view sports package. Dishnet said they
will charge me 2X if i want to receive it on both receivers (yes, its
silly, but thats how they sell this $140++ package), so i bought it on
one receiver only. But it is annoying to be able to watch the sport on
only one tv.

I was told that since the two TVs are physically connected, i should
be able to send the signal back from one receiver to the other (some
addition/subtraction of frequencies.. i didnt understand it) .. and
its just a matter of addign some splitter on one receiver. Can someone
give me information (or URLs) on how to do this? What kind of
interference/quality-hit am i likely to suffer with this?

My config:

+---------------- Dish 811 --- PanasonicTV

Dish500 Antenna

+---------------- Dish 510 --- PhilipsTV

Basically, I want to see Dish510 reception on the PanasonicTV without
having to disconnect any existing connections.

ANy suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Anonymous
November 19, 2004 10:18:49 AM

DRIZAII wrote:

> I just moved to satellite dish from cable TV. I have 2 tvs in
> different rooms. Each TV has its own Dish receiver. Both receivers are
> connected to the same Dish 500 antenna in my patio.
>
> Everything works fine.
>
> I recently bought a pay-per-view sports package. Dishnet said they
> will charge me 2X if i want to receive it on both receivers (yes, its
> silly, but thats how they sell this $140++ package), so i bought it on
> one receiver only. But it is annoying to be able to watch the sport on
> only one tv.
>
> I was told that since the two TVs are physically connected, i should
> be able to send the signal back from one receiver to the other (some
> addition/subtraction of frequencies.. i didnt understand it) .. and
> its just a matter of addign some splitter on one receiver. Can someone
> give me information (or URLs) on how to do this? What kind of
> interference/quality-hit am i likely to suffer with this?
>
> My config:
>
> +---------------- Dish 811 --- PanasonicTV
> |
> Dish500 Antenna
> |
> +---------------- Dish 510 --- PhilipsTV
>
> Basically, I want to see Dish510 reception on the PanasonicTV without
> having to disconnect any existing connections.
>
> ANy suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

You can send the 510 RF output (Channel 3/4) from the 510 to the
Panasonic with Diplexers (or a new coax run between the receivers). A
diplexer will combine the RF frequencies (channel 2 - 83) with the
satellite frequencies on the same coax cable. You use a 2nd diplexer to
seperate the two. In your picture above, you'd need two pairs. One at
the 510 that passes the LNB signal to the 510 combining the channel 3
510 output to send the RF out to the antenna. There, you separate it,
run a short coax to carry the RF to the 2nd pair of diplexers used on
the 811 coax. Google diplexer (diplexor also) for wiring diagrams. It
might be cheaper to just run coax between the two receivers but you can
find diplexers for less than $10.

--

Bill Henley
Anonymous

"DRIZAII" <drizaii@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:D 17b26b5.0411190210.15848b0a@posting.google.com...
| I was told that since the two TVs are physically connected, i should
| be able to send the signal back from one receiver to the other (some
| addition/subtraction of frequencies.. i didnt understand it) .. and
| its just a matter of addign some splitter on one receiver. Can someone
| give me information (or URLs) on how to do this? What kind of
| interference/quality-hit am i likely to suffer with this?

There are many solutions that vary in price, but here's one that will cost you a
single cable run and a splitter.
Split the rf out of the reciever that has the package you wish to watch. Run
coax from the splitter to the antenna in on the reciever that does not have the
package. Now turn off the second receiver (or use the appropriate button to
switch between sattelite/antenna). Voila, whatever is on the first receiver now
appears on the second. Of course if somebody changes the channel on the first
receiver ... you get the idea.

I've never tested this on your equipment, but it works for direcTV, and all the
recievers I am currently using. A diplexer solution should save you the extra
cable, but if the recievers are relatively close ... it works like a charm.

--
CWC
============================

DRIZAII wrote:

> I was told that since the two TVs are physically connected, i
> should be able to send the signal back from one receiver to the
> other (some addition/subtraction of frequencies.. i didnt
> understand it) .. and its just a matter of addign some splitter
> on one receiver. Can someone give me information (or URLs) on
> how to do this? What kind of interference/quality-hit am i
> likely to suffer with this?

Somebody may have misled you, or not given you nearly enough
info...

> My config:
>
> +---------------- Dish 811 --- PanasonicTV
> |
> Dish500 Antenna
> |
> +---------------- Dish 510 --- PhilipsTV

These two cables ^^^ between the receivers and antenna cannot be
interrupted with RF splitters, they must carry the polarizing
voltage back up the cable to the antenna, and you can't do that
through a splitter. Same reason you can't just throw a (forward)
splitter on one wire and feed 2 receivers.

> Basically, I want to see Dish510 reception on the PanasonicTV
> without having to disconnect any existing connections.
>
> ANy suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

You'll need a piece of coax running between the two locations,
or some other (third party) device to get the signal there via
a "wireless" method.

Are you feeding the 811 to the Panasonic TV via Audio/Video, or
are you just using channel 3 or 4 RF? If you're going A/V there,
and you don't have anything else going into the RF input of that
TV, that is your answer. RF out ("To TV") from the 510 is fed to
the RF in on the Panasonic TV. If you're already going into the
Panasonic with RF instead of A/V, you would need to either change
over to A/V and free up the RF port, or usa an "A-B" coax switch,
and either case would indeed require you to disturb the existing
connections, even though it would be one time only.

--
The real Tom Pendergast [ So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
aka I-zheet M'drurz [ have some sympathy, and some taste.

In alt.satellite.tv CWCunningham <charlesw-at-blackfoot.net> wrote:
> "DRIZAII" <drizaii@yahoo.com> wrote:
> | I was told that since the two TVs are physically connected, i should
> | be able to send the signal back from one receiver to the other (some
> | addition/subtraction of frequencies.. i didnt understand it) .. and
> | its just a matter of addign some splitter on one receiver.
> There are many solutions that vary in price, but here's one that
> will cost you a single cable run and a splitter. Split the rf out of
> the reciever that has the package you wish to watch.

....or, if one of the TVs and the receiver that has the package has both
RF connections (coax) and composite video connections (RCA cables) take
the RCA video outs to one TV, and RF to the other.

> Run coax from the splitter to the antenna in on the reciever that
> does not have the package.

My solution requires no splitter. ;-)

> Now turn off the second receiver (or use the appropriate button to
> switch between sattelite/antenna). Voila, whatever is on the first
> receiver now appears on the second. Of course if somebody changes
> the channel on the first receiver ... you get the idea.

I have a DishNetwork receiver sitting on top of a TV in the living room.
On the other side of that wall is the garage, where there's another TV.
Coax from the broadcast antenna splits, one goes into the passthru
connection on the dish receiver, and the other goes to the antenna
connection on the first TV. The composite video RCA outputs from the
dish go to the line ins on the first TV. The coax RF outs from the dish
go through the wall for the garage TV. Also bought an RF IR extender so
the Dish remote works through the wall.

This means that
- both TVs can watch different broadcast channels,
- both TVs can watch the same Dish channel,
- the inside TV can watch any broadcast channel while the outside TV
watches any Dish channel, or
- the inside TV can watch any Dish channel, while the outside TV watches
broadcast 7 or 9 (man, that RF injector bleeds like a stuck pig)

You could do the same thing with two dish receivers. In fact, if you
wanted to make two cable runs between them, you could have either TV
able to watch from either Dish receiver.

--
Huey
Anonymous

Bill Henley <BHenley@No-Spam.CalWeb.com> wrote in message news:<419E0ED9.E4AE356@No-Spam.CalWeb.com>...
> DRIZAII wrote:
> >
> > I just moved to satellite dish from cable TV. I have 2 tvs in
> > different rooms. Each TV has its own Dish receiver. Both receivers are
> > connected to the same Dish 500 antenna in my patio.
> >
> > Everything works fine.
> >
> > I recently bought a pay-per-view sports package. Dishnet said they
> > will charge me 2X if i want to receive it on both receivers (yes, its
> > silly, but thats how they sell this $140++ package), so i bought it on
> > one receiver only. But it is annoying to be able to watch the sport on
> > only one tv.
> >
> > I was told that since the two TVs are physically connected, i should
> > be able to send the signal back from one receiver to the other (some
> > addition/subtraction of frequencies.. i didnt understand it) .. and
> > its just a matter of addign some splitter on one receiver. Can someone
> > give me information (or URLs) on how to do this? What kind of
> > interference/quality-hit am i likely to suffer with this?
> >
> > My config:
> >
> > +---------------- Dish 811 --- PanasonicTV
> > |
> > Dish500 Antenna
> > |
> > +---------------- Dish 510 --- PhilipsTV
> >
> > Basically, I want to see Dish510 reception on the PanasonicTV without
> > having to disconnect any existing connections.
> >
> > ANy suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
>
> You can send the 510 RF output (Channel 3/4) from the 510 to the
> Panasonic with Diplexers (or a new coax run between the receivers). A
> diplexer will combine the RF frequencies (channel 2 - 83) with the
> satellite frequencies on the same coax cable. You use a 2nd diplexer to
> seperate the two. In your picture above, you'd need two pairs. One at
> the 510 that passes the LNB signal to the 510 combining the channel 3
> 510 output to send the RF out to the antenna. There, you separate it,
> run a short coax to carry the RF to the 2nd pair of diplexers used on
> the 811 coax. Google diplexer (diplexor also) for wiring diagrams. It
> might be cheaper to just run coax between the two receivers but you can
> find diplexers for less than $10.

This seems like what I want to have .. but this also seems to
contradict with I-zheet 's posting. Let me google for diplexors to get
an exact idea.

I have ample of inputs and outputs to play with (i am using component
output to TV in 811 and composite output to TV in 510; and the
panasonicTV has at least 3 inputs free including an RF) .. so the
simple solution of splitting the signal at 510-output and running an
extra RF cable across the hallway would have definitely worked -- but
this is what i was trying to avoid.

Thanks tp those who posted.
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 3:35:12 PM

DRIZAII wrote:

> Bill Henley <BHenley@No-Spam.CalWeb.com> wrote in message news:<419E0ED9.E4AE356@No-Spam.CalWeb.com>...
> > DRIZAII wrote:
> > >
> > > I just moved to satellite dish from cable TV. I have 2 tvs in
> > > different rooms. Each TV has its own Dish receiver. Both receivers are
> > > connected to the same Dish 500 antenna in my patio.
> > >
> > > Everything works fine.
> > >
> > > I recently bought a pay-per-view sports package. Dishnet said they
> > > will charge me 2X if i want to receive it on both receivers (yes, its
> > > silly, but thats how they sell this $140++ package), so i bought it on
> > > one receiver only. But it is annoying to be able to watch the sport on
> > > only one tv.
> > >
> > > I was told that since the two TVs are physically connected, i should
> > > be able to send the signal back from one receiver to the other (some
> > > addition/subtraction of frequencies.. i didnt understand it) .. and
> > > its just a matter of addign some splitter on one receiver. Can someone
> > > give me information (or URLs) on how to do this? What kind of
> > > interference/quality-hit am i likely to suffer with this?
> > >
> > > My config:
> > >
> > > +---------------- Dish 811 --- PanasonicTV
> > > |
> > > Dish500 Antenna
> > > |
> > > +---------------- Dish 510 --- PhilipsTV
> > >
> > > Basically, I want to see Dish510 reception on the PanasonicTV without
> > > having to disconnect any existing connections.
> > >
> > > ANy suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > You can send the 510 RF output (Channel 3/4) from the 510 to the
> > Panasonic with Diplexers (or a new coax run between the receivers). A
> > diplexer will combine the RF frequencies (channel 2 - 83) with the
> > satellite frequencies on the same coax cable. You use a 2nd diplexer to
> > seperate the two. In your picture above, you'd need two pairs. One at
> > the 510 that passes the LNB signal to the 510 combining the channel 3
> > 510 output to send the RF out to the antenna. There, you separate it,
> > run a short coax to carry the RF to the 2nd pair of diplexers used on
> > the 811 coax. Google diplexer (diplexor also) for wiring diagrams. It
> > might be cheaper to just run coax between the two receivers but you can
> > find diplexers for less than $10.
>
> This seems like what I want to have .. but this also seems to
> contradict with I-zheet 's posting. Let me google for diplexors to get
> an exact idea.
>
> I have ample of inputs and outputs to play with (i am using component
> output to TV in 811 and composite output to TV in 510; and the
> panasonicTV has at least 3 inputs free including an RF) .. so the
> simple solution of splitting the signal at 510-output and running an
> extra RF cable across the hallway would have definitely worked -- but
> this is what i was trying to avoid.
>
> Thanks tp those who posted.

FWIW,
<http://www.buy.com/retail/product_jump.asp?sku=90111960...;
is a $6 diplexer ($31.50 for 4 with shipping and CA sales tax to my
addr) that would do what you wanted. More searching may find something
cheaper. BextBuy has the same RCA 920 but they are $20 each - works if
you want it today.
<http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?j=1&id=10518262...;
Here's a pretty cheap source ($25 for four "high performance 201-252"
w/shipping):
<http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/nsearch?.autodone...;

If you look at <http://www.buy.com/retail/large_image.asp?sku=90111960&...;,
you see that DC voltage does pass between the Sat (receiver) and Ant/Sat
(LNB) and the 3rd connector is for the < 950MHz frequency. It was the
DC voltage thing that I-zheet mentioned being a problem with a standard
splitter/combiner. A diplexer combines/splits two different frequency
ranges (AC) but passes DC on only two of the three connections. The RF
that doesn't pass DC can be bringing OTA antenna or cable to the TV but
it can also be used to take the RF output back in the "opposite
direction" of the LNB to receiver signal. If you have a long run from
the dish to the receivers, you will get a signal quality drop just like
you would if you ran the sat output through several peices of coax
connected with barrel connectors at the distance you will have the
diplexers. An amplifier may be needed. The diplexer won't bother the
sat signal itself.

--

Bill Henley
Anonymous

DRIZAII wrote:

> This seems like what I want to have .. but this also seems to
> contradict with I-zheet 's posting. Let me google for diplexors
> to get an exact idea.

Quite honestly, I'm not familiar with how these diplexers work,
I've never worked with one. I can attest that the frequency
range for the 'downstream' satellite signal *is* a completely
different range than VHF/UHF TV signals, and yes, it *is*
possible to combine those two on one piece of cable, but the
questions still remain: 1) Can it also pass the polarizing
voltage, and 2) will the VHF Channel 3/4 signal be allowed to
pass through the LNB ports (is there a high pass filter in
there that would eliminate it)?

If you get any of that cleared up on your Googlequest, I would
sure appreciate the scoop or at least a link.

> I have ample of inputs and outputs to play with (i am using
> component output to TV in 811 and composite output to TV in 510;
> and the panasonicTV has at least 3 inputs free including an RF)
> .. so the simple solution of splitting the signal at 510-output
> and running an extra RF cable across the hallway would have
> definitely worked -- but this is what i was trying to avoid.

If you're not already using the RF out of the 510 (you're
using composite video per the info above) you wouldn't need
a splitter, unless there's some reason you want both RF and
A/V input signals available to theTV.

--
The real Tom Pendergast [ So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
aka I-zheet M'drurz [ have some sympathy, and some taste.
Accept no substitutes! [ Use all your well-learned politesse,
$1 to Mick for the .sig ---[ or I'll lay your soul to waste.
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 11:12:20 PM

I-zheet M'drurz wrote:
> Quite honestly, I'm not familiar with how these diplexers work,
> I've never worked with one. I can attest that the frequency
> range for the 'downstream' satellite signal *is* a completely
> different range than VHF/UHF TV signals, and yes, it *is*
> possible to combine those two on one piece of cable, but the
> questions still remain: 1) Can it also pass the polarizing
> voltage, and 2) will the VHF Channel 3/4 signal be allowed to
> pass through the LNB ports (is there a high pass filter in
> there that would eliminate it)?

The RF signal never makes it to/through the LNB. The "usual" setup is
for the diplexer to combine the LNB signal with either an OTA antenna or
cable to bring both into the house on the same coax. It just isolates
the < 950Mhz stuff onto a separate connector and the LNB-Receiver stuff
goes through the other two legs. For his setup, you happen to source
the < 950MHz at the 510, carry it out toward the dish to another
diplexer that is then connected to the 2nd pair of diplexers that is now
carrying < 950MHz into the house to the TV by the 811. I used to have
some good diagram URLs but they seem to be broken links now.

--

Bill Henley
Anonymous

Bill Henley wrote:
> I-zheet M'drurz wrote:

>> ...will the VHF Channel 3/4 signal
>> be allowed to pass through the LNB ports (is there a high
>> pass filter in there that would eliminate it)?

> The RF signal never makes it to/through the LNB.
> For his setup, you happen to source the < 950MHz at the
> 510, carry it out toward the dish to another diplexer that is
> then connected to the 2nd pair of diplexers

OK! I got it, I think. <g> You're actually using 2 diplexers
on each of the two cables, one to insert/extract the "TV" RF
at each receiver, and two out at the LNB, to "bypass" the TVRF
around the LNB. ??? That makes all the sense in the
world. You let the DC pass through the "SAT" and "COMBINED"
ports, but you block it from the "TV" port. The polarizing
voltage goes thru as planned, and the lowband RF never really
comes into play.

Thanks. The brain is a little rusty, it's been too many years
since I've worked with this stuff.

--
!