Core i7 Temperature problems...?

decoyjoe

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Hey guys,

I recently built a machine for myself...

Antec Nine hundred 2
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
Core i7 920 @ stock 2.67ghz
Zalman 9700 Heatsink with Arctic Silver 5

Well I was really excited getting my i7 as I have heard good things about overclocking possibilites. So I even bought an aftermarket HSF (Zalman 9700) and used AS5. But after building it, my i7 temperature readings (as read by CoreTemp) are in the 40-44C range at idle while only at 2.67ghz, and prime95 stress test after a few hours gives me temperatures of ~77C. So then being curious to what OCing would do, i overclocked to 3.2ghz mild OC and the temperatures shot up. Idle ~55 and stress test showed pretty much 100C. Ive read different forums and other people have gotten their Core i7 at 3.5ghz at the temperatures that im seeing at stock.

So im wondering why my temperatures are so high, especially seeing as how im at stock clock with the antec 902, zalman 9700 and AS5.

And YES ive already tried reseating my heatsink a few times with temp variations of about 1C. So I cant even really overclock :(

Any ideas?

Thanks guys!

Mondoman

Splendid
Here are some possibilities:
1) cooler not mounted correctly. Try installing the OEM cooler (will need to remove MB from case for this) and see if that helps.
2) Too much thermal compound.
3) Air inside case too hot - try running with side removed from case for a bit,

decoyjoe

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Ive tried running the case open and all the case fans at the highest speed and it made a difference of about 1C....and ive reseated the heatsink many times and have been careful with the thermal compound being sure not to put too much and have tried different methods of application also. I have yet to try the stock heatsink but i doubt that i incorrectly mounted the aftermarket one.

JessieJ

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Just so ya know - your numbers with the OEM fan are not unique.

I'm running a similar setup with Gigabyte UD4P and an Antec 300 with all fans on high. One Prime 95 - my temps got up around 80 degrees - and it idles around 40 degrees on all 4 cores.

I think it's a matter of the OEM fan / heatsink sucks. I'm going to eventually get an aftermarket heatsink / fan. But for now - my PC uses never push the cores enough to get beyond 55 degrees as there is alot of unused Processor capacity in my case.

decoyjoe

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009

Im actually not using the stock heatsink. I bought a Zalman 9700 and getting these temperatures thats why im not happy with them. Of what ive read from other people i should be getting lower temperatures thus letting me overclock but I am not getting the desired temperatures. :(

Ancient_1

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
It could be that the Zalman just cant handle the heat that the i7 puts out. X-Bit Labs did a test of many of the top coolers and the Zalman 9900 (they didn't test 9700) came in dead last. As long as you have a good seat on the cpu and the fan is running at full speed I would guess that is your problem.

decoyjoe

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009

Yea i saw that and realized that, out of the top performing heatsinks, zalman came in last but even so their temperatures at 3.7ghz were about what mine are at 2.66 so its just a little puzzling...

Mondoman

Splendid
Any heat-pipe cooler with at least a couple of pipes should do a reasonable job, and the i7 920 is not a super-hot CPU at stock. Being in last place doesn't mean it doesn't do a decent job -- I'm sure they all did a decent job.

gotenks65

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
Hi, not to repeat whats been said, but it would be a good idea to test the temps with anotehr fan if you have one. The othe rthing would be to see what temps you are getting in the BIOS, do the correspond with what Core temp is telling you? It might be a temp misreading, a "bad" cpu...