FPS Overkill?

Duque

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
Hello all. I am about to build my first computer. The monitor will likely be the Samsung TOC T240. I will also set up 2 gtx 285s in SLI. If the monitor's horizontal refresh rate is 30-81 and its vertical refresh rate is 56-75, will i be able to get the monitor to display the high FPS that the cards output? I read somewhere else that I will be limited by the refresh rates. Is this true? If so, can someone suggest a monitor with higher ones, but still a low pixel pitch and pref. 24 inches. Thank you in advance for your help.

Another question. Does anyone think I will notice ghosting with a 5ms monitor like this one? I heard that 2-3 ms is needed for quick moving horizontal games like fifa or nba.

Duque

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
What are your feelings on response time michael? Do you think I will notice ghosting on fast moving horizontal objects with 5ms response time?

michaelmk86

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
I am not sure about that but when I change my old monitor (response time 8ms ) to a new one with response time 2ms I didn’t see any difference in response time. :??:

@Duque: The graphis cards will output as fast as they can, the monitor will only display according to its refresh rate and most are limited to 60Hz (yours will do 75 I think).
For really fast refresh you`ll need to get onto E-bay or Craiglist for a CRT but a 24" CRT is the size of a small house and weighs about as much;)
There has been some debate on this subject on the Forum and the general feeling is that LCD is good enough unless you are playing for money, where every split-second advantage has to be sought.
I play with V-synch on, which stops `tearing` and helps with `ghosting`.

g3force

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009

But his point is that you can't discern any difference beyond 60 Hz...

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008

That's because the new monitor's 2ms response rate is for Grey-to-Grey. It's actual response rate (Black-to-White) is likely 5ms. Gotta love how manufacturers still can't use the same f'n standards as each other in order to try and gain advantage over the uninformed...

As you can see from the variety of posts, everyone is different. I think that you probably will be fine with a refresh rate of 60Hz, but the only way you can know for certain is to try one out. How you do that, I don't know. Maybe ask a friend or go to a store that has them set up. I don't mind the response time on new LCDs, but it was amazingly bad back in the day.