consumera

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forums and I've been on and off tomshardware reading articles for about 4 months while putting together a new gaming pc.

I thought I had gotten a top of the line rig- but it doesn't seem to be performing as well as it should.

Without further ado- here's my setup

Antec 900
Corsair 850w
2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0
1 TB Seagate 7200
2x Asus 4870 DK Top in CrossfireX
Asus P6T (non Deluxe)
Intel Core i7 920

Vista 32bit
Direct X 10

3D Mark 2006 Benchmark: 18,672

I do have everything running (ie. windows is working, I can play some games),
but I have the following few problems, they are really annoying:

1. Raid 0 JMicron controller sometimes doesn't read the raptors
If I reset power, I get the error message "Boot device not detected, please insert boot device. Press enter to continue"
or something like that.
Then I just Alt+Ctrl+Del and restart, and then it reads the harddrives again.

2. Crossfire doesn't seem to be working with the newest drivers. It took me a long time but I finally realized to downgrade the drivers, but there still seems to be some problems. When idle, one video card is consistently at 60 C while the other video card is at 40 C. (In the case one is placed on top of the other)
Also, in the Catalyst Control Center under Crossfire, then Diagnostics, nothing shows up, I'm not sure if this is normal

I'm using catalyst version 8.6, and Asus 4870 drivers 8.501. Both of these are very outdated, hopefully someone can suggest a newer one that will actually work

3. Stalker - Clear Sky, won't run on maximum settings. When I set it to maximum, the game freezes upon opening and I am unable to change the settings, forcing me to reinstall to reset the settings. (I have the latest patch for the game, I'm wondering if that is messing things up) I'm just curious as to why this happens.

On the other hand, I ran the game on High Graphics, which it defaults to on my PC, and the game crashes within 2 minutes (most likely to graphics cards overheating).

4. Crysis did have a problem, but after I updated the game to the newest version, it stopped crashing. I'm running Crysis on High Settings, which leads me to believe that Stalker could also be run on High Settings.

Hopefully I'll be able to achieve the following:

1. Really fast boot times without having to restart every once in a while (any advice to skip through initial bios screens and to get into windows as fast as possible is greatly appreciated)

2. Get my games running on at least high graphics :) (am I not updating / should I un-update?)

Random question:

In the antec 900 case, the fans have both input and output power.

Would it be possible to use just 1 power thing, connect it into the fan, then connect the fan to a harddrive?

(like in this picture http://www.getprice.com.au/images/uploadimg/492/350__1_sf_900_01.jpg there is 2 plugs)

Thanks everyone for ur help in advance

the first thing to change is to install Vista 64 bit .

A 32 bit OS cant use more than about 3.3 gig of RAM [ including the gfx card RAM ] .You may have 8 gig [ 6 RAM+ 1 gfx+ 1gfx ] in that machine and its mostly sitting there wondering why you paid for it
The fresh install , and the driver updates will probably cure the rest of your problems

consumera

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
fresh install I guess means that I should install vista 64 bit, I heard there's some way to get the upgrade for like 10$ from microsoft? can anyone point me in the right direction? thanks

trance4850

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
Maybe gpu bios(from asus site) will fix crossfire isue and it will lower gpu temp. At idle(will set clocks on minimum at 2d mode)