UPS Which are the best?

mugaro

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
I am looking for a very reliable UPS (Battery type thing w/ a surge protector). I want the computer to stay up for at least 10 min or so if the power goes off for a safe shutdown. Where would I get a decently priced one that will not malfunction etc.

Any recommendations! Thanks!!

Boliver

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006

You are definitely going to want to add up all the power requirements of the equipment you'll want powered by the UPS. Monitor, PC, NAS, Router, Cable Modem, etc. just to name a few. I wouldn't put stuff like printers and such on it as it will reduce run time by more than its worth (IMO). I've had good luck with APC units over the years but I have not bought a new one in ages. I'm sure the technology is better now.

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
couldn't begin to recommend a ups with out knowing what was gonna be plugged into it. you have to figure what the components you wish to keep plugged in are drawing and then you work from there.

any of the major brands should be fine for most usage. If you want a step up i quiality though look for a true sine wave output, that will cost you though.

dzeric

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
I would recommend APC for the brand, check how many watts you are using/want to protect. I currently am using APC's "back-ups xs 1500 lcd" for my gaming rig and it works well.
Steer clear of cyberpower. I bought one from them for college a while ago. It would try to fail over to battery every few hours even though the power was normal, and when it did so it could not deliver the power (even though it was well within specs). This caused my computer to power down every time... grr..