Southbridge overheating

alex_b

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
Recently my computer has been auto powering off(thanks to the temperature cut off)

My motherboard is an Asus rampage ii Extreme running an i7 920 and gtx 285 SLI (all stock settings).

As you can see from this picture http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/6564/sbtemperature.jpg

the southbridge seems to be running dangerously high. I assume it's because the second graphics card is covering a fair bit of the southbridge but then again I've had the system running fine for several months now without this ever happening.

Is it particularly unusual to be seeing temps this high or could the motherboard be faulty? I can't see much more I can do coolingwise.

thanks for any suggestions

Could the heat sink have come loose? And yes, what do you mean second vid card?

In the interim, you could temporarily position a small case fan to blow air directly at the SB to see if that helps.

OK, sorry, we both missed what you meant by "gtx 285 SLI". We assumed you had only one 285, and wondered when you installed the second one.

Does removing the second 285 lower the temperatures significantly? Probably not, I'd guess. If not, and if the heatsink isn't detached, I can't think of a reason why this board running at stock (make certain it is) would suddenly heat up unless the mobo's got a problem.

alex_b

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
Yea, I tried removing the one that's over the southbridge but as you say it only dropped by around 1-2c at most and the bios/board led indicators show that it's running stock/normal voltages. So unless these temps are something to be expected from this type of setup it may indeed be a faulty board

alex_b

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
Well after much thumb squashing and unscrewing or parts I removed the original paste(was pretty rubbery, nasty and thickly applied) and put some new paste on the north/southbridge & CPU. The northbridge and cpu temps have gone down by about 6 or so degrees c but the southbridge immediately read 80c when I turned it on again so surely it must simply be a dodgy sensor.