Has anyone else* had a problem removing the jumper from a Seagate 7200.11 500GB hard drive?
One must remove the jumper on the end of the drive, set from the factory, to get the drive from Sata I 1.5Gbps to SATA II 3.0Gbps.
I thought I had removed it a long time ago (April 2009), but when I put this drive in a different rig I'm updateing, the BIOS tells me that the drive is still set to 1.5Gbps.
Like I said, I thought I removed the jumper pin, but there seems to be something down in there, possibly causing the drive to still be set at 1.5Gbps. Perhaps that's why my transfer rates were below 100MBps when I copied data from/to a couple drives, including this one.
This really peaves me, as I once posted HDTune benchmarks for my drives. This drive used to be part of a RAID 0 array, so maybe that's why my marks were not so good. They were something like 150MBps reads for RAID 0, whereas my Seagate 7200.12 1TB drive posted 140MBps as a single drive. Anyway, to use the drive in another rig, the one in question, I pulled this drive for my RAID 0 array, etc.
I'm no newby, but this really p1ss@s me off!
*I found that it seems to be a problem, posted here, on techsupportforum.com.