Sign in with
Your question

Need some good DDR3, do I really need high-end?

Last response: in Memory
September 7, 2009 11:26:32 PM

i am building an i7 system, ideally for mid-to-high-end gaming and image/website editing, and maybe some 3d rendering. I'm looking at 6-8 gigs of ram, and will need DDR3, but I am not sure what to get. I don't know much about ram, so i would appreciate the help. I've been reading about different kinds, and is it really worth it to get high-end, or overclocked ram? Thnx for the help!

More about : good ddr3 high end

September 8, 2009 12:47:44 AM

Get a 6GB set of 1600. Paying for higher is not worth it, as you will see close to zero difference in benchmarks, and surely no difference in day to day use. 8GB is no good as it would not be triple channel.

If you are concerned you may need more RAM later for serious rendering or something, just get a mobo with 6 RAM slots and you can throw a second 6GB set in later.

OCZ gold is a popular choice, as is the platinum set with 1 lower CAS.
September 8, 2009 1:04:18 AM

Thanks! I want to pay about $100 for ram, but $125 is close enough. I was looking at some corsair memory (TR3X6G1600C8D) for $200. I'll keep your suggestion in mind
a b } Memory
September 8, 2009 4:56:01 AM

I don't think there's any point in paying extra for RAM unless you plan to overclock it. And you should keep in mind that of all the things you can overclock in your computer system, RAM is the component that will give you the least overall performance improvement.
!