thejekyll

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
Ok, so I built 2 systems over a year ago. One for my wife and one for myself. They have worked fine for over a year now. Yesterday my wife calls and says her monitor wont come on. I had her hook my monitor to her system and it would not come on either so I assumed video card. When I got home last night I pulled her video card and put it in my system. I could not get a picture either so I knew the card had gone bad.

Well just to be sure I put my video card in her system, but still got nothing. Then the next thing I knew the system shut itself off, then back on for a second, then off, and so on. Now thats all it does is shut off and on over and over. I trying swapping the PSU with mine and it still does it. I pulled everything off the board and it still is doing it.

Finally, I pulled the power line that powers the CPU and it the system will power up and stay up. Can I assume the CPU is shot here? And in its death is it possible it took her video card to its grave too?

Suggestions?

thejekyll

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
I think there was only one 6 pin connector but I will check that again when I get home. By short, do you mean maybe in my swapping of video cards I knocked a screw loose or something to that effect that might have gotten behind the motherboard?

And just curious, why clear the bios on my machine?

I think there was only one 6 pin connector but I will check that again when I get home. By short, do you mean maybe in my swapping of video cards I knocked a screw loose or something to that effect that might have gotten behind the motherboard?

That's a possibility of a short.

And just curious, why clear the bios on my machine?

Because you get no activity on the computer at all.