Forceware 93.71 driver update for GeForce 4 MX 440

designnut

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
I went to nVidia's website and chose for the automatic driver updater for GeForce4 MX 440 - and proceeded to run the 93.71_forceware_winxp2k_english_whql.exe file. But, suddenly, the graphics card seemed to crash and there was no display at all on the monitor.

Utilizing help from a tech guy, I rebooted in safe mode and was able to rollback the driver. And now i'm afraid to update the driver for the graphics card in fear of it crashing. Anyone else have this issue and how did you resolve?

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
You are using an antique GPU. Are you having problems with the current driver? Improvements to that series wouldnt have been made in years as far as drivers go...

That driver version was form the 7000series days, it is probably (even though it is listed as supported) not teh best one to isntall as it is from a day far beyond the card you have.

designnut

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Ha ha...yes, my pc is outdated (built it myself though)...just bought a Mac and saving to replace PC too. Tried to hook up apple cinema (dvi) to this graphics card (vga) (this was another thread), using monitor adapter, but nothing displayed. So, thought maybe I should update the drivers...and then this problem. So, maybe I'm just stuck and either replace the graphic card with a DVI port or wait until I can afford a new PC.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Well the thing is the architecture of that card is pushing 10 years old (The MX is just a rebranded GF2). The Forceware 90, while perhaps the oldest drivers nvidia keeps on archive is probalby 3 years or so newer than what you are looking for..

That and im not sure what you mean by monitor adapter but it isn't possible to connect an analog output to a digital input without some sort of conversion going on somewhere, this card certainly has no AtoD built in. (apple cinema is an video in using a dvi?)

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Aye, the adapter is just that, it connects pin x to pin y, it does not convert the signal in any reguard.

That adapter, although the opposite of it is more common, would be to adapt a dvi cable to plug into a vga display (most adapters go on the other end and adapt a vga cable). Regardless though, these kind of things require the source (you video card) to be able to detect it is plugged into analog/digital and convert its signal accordingly. Your source cannot do that, regardless of drivers.

What happens with a modern dvi port is that it can also output an analogue signal when required. An vga port cannot output a digital signal though, which is what you are trying to do. The card simply will not, does not, and can not support a dvi only monitor.

designnut

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Ok, so it sounds best then to either get a new card (that will work for my motherboard- which may also be outdated?), or simply buy a new machine (which might be more cost-effective in the long run).

Thanks so much for your help.

TRENDING THREADS