GPRS unlimited add-on

dmartin

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2005

Cingular data support and customer service both swear there never has
been a $19.99 add-on that allows one to do unlimited GPRS from a
laptop; only wap from a handset.

Is there any evidence otherwise?

Dave

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

The service was stated as being offered as the rep described, but in
reality people could actually tether from a laptop.

steve

In article <1108568934.071847.236670@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
<dmartin@newarts.com> wrote:

> Cingular data support and customer service both swear there never has
> been a $19.99 add-on that allows one to do unlimited GPRS from a
> laptop; only wap from a handset.
>
> Is there any evidence otherwise?
>
> Dave

I agree,

I have a teathered laptop and they cant tell the differnece

Chip

steve wrote:
> The service was stated as being offered as the rep described, but in
> reality people could actually tether from a laptop.
>
> steve
>
> In article <1108568934.071847.236670@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> <dmartin@newarts.com> wrote:
>

>>Cingular data support and customer service both swear there never has
>>been a $19.99 add-on that allows one to do unlimited GPRS from a
>>laptop; only wap from a handset.
>>
>>Is there any evidence otherwise?
>>
>>Dave

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Ralph Blach wrote:
> I agree,
>
> I have a teathered laptop and they cant tell the differnece
>
> Chip
>
> steve wrote:
>
>> The service was stated as being offered as the rep described, but in
>> reality people could actually tether from a laptop.
>>
>> steve
>>
>> In article <1108568934.071847.236670@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
>> <dmartin@newarts.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Cingular data support and customer service both swear there never has
>>> been a $19.99 add-on that allows one to do unlimited GPRS from a
>>> laptop; only wap from a handset.
>>>
>>> Is there any evidence otherwise?
>>>
>>> Dave

Hey Ralph,

Do you actually have a cable connecting the phone and the laptop or are
you using bluetooth by chance? Would you happen to know if you could
use bluetooth (maybe with a motorola v551) to get gprs on a laptop? I
heard Tmobile has a $20 add on that you could use for this purpose but
if I can do it with Cingular, then there's no need to change services.

Thanks.

Richard

Richard,

I have a serial cable sold by cingular, but I think on selected models
you can use bluetooth. I prefer the cable personally.

My charges show up as data charges, and I dont think that Cingular can
tell the difference

Chip

Richard wrote:
> Ralph Blach wrote:
>
>> I agree,
>>
>> I have a teathered laptop and they cant tell the differnece
>>
>> Chip
>>
>> steve wrote:
>>
>>> The service was stated as being offered as the rep described, but in
>>> reality people could actually tether from a laptop.
>>>
>>> steve

> Hey Ralph,
>
> Do you actually have a cable connecting the phone and the laptop or are
> you using bluetooth by chance? Would you happen to know if you could
> use bluetooth (maybe with a motorola v551) to get gprs on a laptop? I
> heard Tmobile has a $20 add on that you could use for this purpose but
> if I can do it with Cingular, then there's no need to change services.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Richard

Hi Ralph,

What is the setp on the PC to tether PC to Phone?
Is cingular the ISP, do you provide your own?

"Richard" <something@nothing.com> wrote in message

| Hey Ralph,
|
| Do you actually have a cable connecting the phone and the laptop or are
| you using bluetooth by chance? Would you happen to know if you could
| use bluetooth (maybe with a motorola v551) to get gprs on a laptop? I
| heard Tmobile has a $20 add on that you could use for this purpose but
| if I can do it with Cingular, then there's no need to change services.

Not Ralph here, but I can answer for you if you want ;). I use unlimited
GPRS on my notebook via GPRS through my v551. It is part of the
grandfathered unlimited GPRS in the MEdia Works package for $19.99. I
believe to get unlimited now, you must pay $25.

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hierophant wrote:
> "Richard" <something@nothing.com> wrote in message
> |
> | Hey Ralph,
> |
> | Do you actually have a cable connecting the phone and the laptop or are
> | you using bluetooth by chance? Would you happen to know if you could
> | use bluetooth (maybe with a motorola v551) to get gprs on a laptop? I
> | heard Tmobile has a $20 add on that you could use for this purpose but
> | if I can do it with Cingular, then there's no need to change services.
> |

> Not Ralph here, but I can answer for you if you want ;). I use unlimited
> GPRS on my notebook via GPRS through my v551. It is part of the
> grandfathered unlimited GPRS in the MEdia Works package for $19.99. I
> believe to get unlimited now, you must pay $25.

Thanks Hierophant,

That's what I want to know. I'd prefer to connect the laptop by
bluetooth but a cable will be fine. As long as I can get interent. I
only need it to check email and maybe mapquest.

Thanks for the info.

Richard

dmartin

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2005

Richard, I recently tried very hard to get a new Cingular phone to work
in tethered mode with MediaWorks to access the internet.

I know that people are doing it, but I couldn't and Tech Support was no
help; all Cingular support people but one even denied it was possible.

I think they have changed the download version of some software to
prevent such access (you get an authentication error.)

One tech support guy implied that if I could find the appropriate info
I could get it to work through dial-up networking.

Also they may have changed their activation procedures to prevent such
access as of Feb 11, 2005.

Dave

PS t-mobile works great for this purpose if you are within their
coverage. Also t-mo's help service is a dream compared to cingular's;
almost never any wait for true 24/7/365 service and an effective
assistance hierachy that'll take you all the way to real experts in
England, Germany, the Netherlands, etc.

I finally gave up on Cingular & will wait before trying it again.

dmartin

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2005

My account is configured for "Wireless Internet Express"

I'm tethered to a laptop that can converse with the modem (Samsung
x427m)

I'm on a Roaming operator #310380 (t-mobile)

My dialer is configured like this:
APN =ISP.CINGULAR
PDO_Type= IP (I cannot locate this parameter in my Cingular Connection
Manager)
Dial-up number= *99# or *99***1#
User Name =ISPDA@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password= CINGULAR1

I've also tried the legacy:
User Name=WIXDC001@W5.MYCINGULAR.COM
Password=ZXY203DC9K0402

With all combinations of upper and lower case. All give me a 645 Error
"Internal authentication error"

Do you have any further suggestions?

Dave

Richie,

I will look when I get home

Chip

In article <1108639210.029656.159630@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
dmartin@newarts.com wrote:

> Richard, I recently tried very hard to get a new Cingular phone to work
> in tethered mode with MediaWorks to access the internet.
>
> I know that people are doing it, but I couldn't and Tech Support was no
> help; all Cingular support people but one even denied it was possible.
>
> I think they have changed the download version of some software to
> prevent such access (you get an authentication error.)
>
> One tech support guy implied that if I could find the appropriate info
> I could get it to work through dial-up networking.
>
> Also they may have changed their activation procedures to prevent such
> access as of Feb 11, 2005.
>
> Dave
>
> PS t-mobile works great for this purpose if you are within their
> coverage. Also t-mo's help service is a dream compared to cingular's;
> almost never any wait for true 24/7/365 service and an effective
> assistance hierachy that'll take you all the way to real experts in
> England, Germany, the Netherlands, etc.
>
> I finally gave up on Cingular & will wait before trying it again.

Cingular has it all documented:

http://alliance.cingularinteractive.com/products/pdf/DeviceSettings.pdf

dmartin@newarts.com wrote:
> Richard, I recently tried very hard to get a new Cingular phone to work
> in tethered mode with MediaWorks to access the internet.
>
> I know that people are doing it, but I couldn't and Tech Support was no
> help; all Cingular support people but one even denied it was possible.
>
> I think they have changed the download version of some software to
> prevent such access (you get an authentication error.)
>
> One tech support guy implied that if I could find the appropriate info
> I could get it to work through dial-up networking.
>
> Also they may have changed their activation procedures to prevent such
> access as of Feb 11, 2005.
>
> Dave
>
> PS t-mobile works great for this purpose if you are within their
> coverage. Also t-mo's help service is a dream compared to cingular's;
> almost never any wait for true 24/7/365 service and an effective
> assistance hierachy that'll take you all the way to real experts in
> England, Germany, the Netherlands, etc.
>
> I finally gave up on Cingular & will wait before trying it again..

Make sure when typing in the information to do this, that you type it in
All Capital Letters. An Authentication Error nonmally comes from the
username/password not matching up.

<dmartin@newarts.com> wrote in message
| My account is configured for "Wireless Internet Express"
|
| I'm tethered to a laptop that can converse with the modem (Samsung
| x427m)
|
| I'm on a Roaming operator #310380 (t-mobile)
|
| My dialer is configured like this:
| APN =ISP.CINGULAR
| PDO_Type= IP (I cannot locate this parameter in my Cingular Connection
| Manager)
| Dial-up number= *99# or *99***1#
| User Name =ISPDA@CINGULARGPRS.COM
| Password= CINGULAR1
|
| I've also tried the legacy:
| User Name=WIXDC001@W5.MYCINGULAR.COM
| Password=ZXY203DC9K0402
|
| With all combinations of upper and lower case. All give me a 645 Error
| "Internal authentication error"
|
| Do you have any further suggestions?

You cannot use the ISP.Cingular APN for connecting via media works. A few
people have been lucky enough to not have that apn disabled, but most have
had that apn disabled. You must use the wap.cingular apn. if i remember
correctly (phone not beside me and too lazy to load howard forums ;) ) it is
wap.cingular for the apn, WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM for user name, and CINGULAR1
for PW.

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 12:05:53 -0600, Richard wrote
(in article <11172rtdu20ndbc@corp.supernews.com>):

> Do you actually have a cable connecting the phone and the laptop or are
> you using bluetooth by chance? Would you happen to know if you could
> use bluetooth (maybe with a motorola v551) to get gprs on a laptop? I
> heard Tmobile has a $20 add on that you could use for this purpose but
> if I can do it with Cingular, then there's no need to change services.

I use bluetooth tethering between a Nokia 3600 and a Mac Powerbook 17.

It's pretty slow (probably about the speed of dialup on a long copper loop),
but it's a good backup in an emergency.

I had to keep a AT&T Worldcom account to back up my cable modem (I have 24x7
support responsibilities), but now just do it through Cingular.