Is this a power supply problem or?

mindlogiczero

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
ok, so my computer specs are, amd athlon 64 x2 5600+, 1tb sata hdd, 1 dvd rw, galaxy 512mb oc 9600gt gpu, 4x 1 gig sticks of ddr2 ram, pci tv tuner, back exaust hooked to mb, 92mm back exaust hooked to 4 pin to psu, 120mm side fan hooked to 4 pin to psu, 80mm front fan hooked to 4 pin to psu. and my power supply is this purepower 500 by thermaltake http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153052 .

while ingame yesterday after about a hour or 2? randomly turned off, as if someone unplugged the cord, turned it back on, after about an additional hour it repeated. mighta been dumb but w/e, few weeks back i clipped the 4 pin cords from psu since they were just getting the way, decided to mod case for extra fans last week so i just retwisted the wires and tied plastic caps thingys around each one.

does it sound like psu, ram or motherboard? was going to test ram just no floppy drive and only got blank dvds for the boot disc for memtest. also read one guy say if it was ram id get bsod alot and i dont get that.

if you think its indeed psu will this one do me justice for my setup?, http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3255393&Sku=ULT-LS600 i dont have much money to spend, says it has a 20+4pin connector but no additional 4pin for mb, my current psu uses a 24pin and additional 4pin i believe, will this work without the extra 4pin going to mb?

The symptoms indicate a problem with power. If your "mod" and "unmod" were causing problems, they would have started immediately. If you system crashes only during gaming, you could be running out of power.

Both your original and prospective new PSU are decidedly average. Both have relatively light 12 volt rails. A good 600 watt PSU should be able to put out around 45 amps on the 12 volt output.

Your computer will not work without the 4 pin 12 volt connector. The good news is that according to the new PSU specs, the 8 pin EPS connector is actually a 4+4 connector. SO you should be able to separate the pins and plug it in.

mindlogiczero

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
thanks, didnt realize about the 8pin cord part. yes both are mid range psu's but my pc is low/mid as it is, my current is on a way lower amp rail i think 15 or 16? new will be 32. least what i think.