Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

H70 overclocking temp

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
November 21, 2010 6:21:13 AM

hmmm I just got my h70

1) Mounted it as an exhaust on my HAF-X
2) Fan speed is at 1600rpm
3) Overclocked my i920 D0 to 3.6kmhz

The temp is 72 after running prime95 for 3 hours..

is this normal?

More about : h70 overclocking temp

November 21, 2010 6:36:01 AM

seesee said:
hmmm I just got my h70

1) Mounted it as an exhaust on my HAF-X
2) Fan speed is at 1600rpm
3) Overclocked my i920 D0 to 3.6kmhz

The temp is 72 after running prime95 for 3 hours..

is this normal?


I assume you are running the 2 fans in a push/pull setup? Also I know this is crazy but corsair recommends as an intake setup. Last thing are the fans being used with the "speed cap" (fan limiter)?
m
0
l
November 21, 2010 7:00:19 AM

yes they are on the speed cap, I find running the fan @ 2000rpm ridiculously noisy!
m
0
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 21, 2010 7:02:56 AM

seesee said:
yes they are on the speed cap, I find running the fan @ 2000rpm ridiculously noisy!


Try flipping the fans so they are "pulling" cold air in from the outside of case, also Airflow from within your case is important. What i suggested probably won't drop your temp by more than 2 or 3 degrees at best btw... so I hope I can help get you pointed in the right direction
m
0
l
November 21, 2010 7:14:41 AM

i don't wish to use it as an intake because it will make the internal of my CPU casing very hot. plus all the dust will clog my radiator in future?
m
0
l
November 21, 2010 7:24:36 AM

Dust will build up but just clean it with some compressed air... I do understand your felling though

From Corsair website.. http://www.corsair.com/products/h70/default.aspx
Performance

"Tests performance in the Corsair Lab show greater cooling performance over the H50 in an extreme overclocking scenario. Using a test system built in the Corsair Obsidian Series 800D with a Core i7 920 processor overclocked to 3.8GHz (20 x 190 MHz, 1.34Vcore), Asus Rampage III Extreme motherboard, with the default fans configured as an intake on the rear 120mm fan location".

m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
November 21, 2010 7:35:35 AM

if your case has more exhaust fans (like on top) then this can be done...

haf X comes with one 230mm in front, one (plus one optional) 200mm at the Top, one 200mm in the side and one 140mm at the Rear... i understand that you have installed the rad on the rear as an exhaust and have all the fans running... if this is the case then teh setup is ok...
m
0
l
November 21, 2010 7:39:40 AM

I had my h50 set up like that with a sniper case a 200mm on the side and a 200 on top the fans (especially the top one) pulled the hot air out.
m
0
l
a c 325 K Overclocking
November 21, 2010 12:33:00 PM

Run push/pull with the fans on intake rather than exhaust. It might make a couple degrees C difference. If you find out that your temps are much different, you have poor case airflow.
m
0
l
November 21, 2010 1:03:48 PM

hmmm well

I try over clocking to 4000 mhz! and the temp is about 90 degs! madness!
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
November 21, 2010 1:40:40 PM

I'll tell you what... why dont you have the radiator installed on the top as an exhaust??? i have even seen places where the radiator is installed at the front of the case (in front of the HDD cage) to act as an intake... the general consensus is that front and bottom should be intake and rear and top should be exhaust...
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
November 21, 2010 3:05:28 PM

seesee said:
i don't wish to use it as an intake because it will make the internal of my CPU casing very hot. plus all the dust will clog my radiator in future?


It's beyond me why people don't want to fallow the products instruction that came with ,you do have exhaust fan on top of the case (crank that sucker up or replace with better one), dust..there is no way around it,will clog the RAD sooner or later and the noise is what i don't like about this small factor WC units due to high FPI (fins per inch) radiators ,didn't you have full blown WC system before?. I think you had some problems with bubbles or maybe it was someone else
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2633/ffi-15/ModRight_...
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...
m
0
l
a c 325 K Overclocking
November 21, 2010 11:16:07 PM

Radiators will collect dust regardless of how you have the fans oriented. You didn't think the inside of your case was a clean-room did you? I don't understand why people don't read direction, either (@ortoklaz) nor people that just 'don't' put fans in their cases, but keep replacing their coolers thinking that will fix the problem. Your problems are airflow, little of it, and likely the lack of fans pulling cool air into your case, and exhausting hot air out.

Pull the side of your case, put a house fan up to the side, full blast. Run your benchmarks, etc.

If your temps go down, you have an airflow problem...correct it by adding more/better fans.

If your temps remain similar or the same, you have an issue with your cooler.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
November 22, 2010 11:31:08 AM

rubix_1011 said:
You didn't think the inside of your case was a clean-room did you?

With some Hepa filters, you could make it kinda, sorta like one, but the fans you would need to force air thru the filter media would be insane :ouch: 

m
0
l
a c 325 K Overclocking
November 22, 2010 12:11:03 PM

I'd think you'd end up spending more time cleaning air filters than anything else. But, if you neglected them, they'd clog up and end up with even less airflow than you began with.

I agree...you'd likely need some wind tubine grade fans to make up for the resistance the filters would cause. (more with dirt/dust build-up.)
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
November 22, 2010 12:26:04 PM

rubix_1011 said:
I'd think you'd end up spending more time cleaning air filters than anything else. But, if you neglected them, they'd clog up and end up with even less airflow than you began with.

I agree...you'd likely need some wind tubine grade fans to make up for the resistance the filters would cause. (more with dirt/dust build-up.)

More than likely.
Was just getting my morning amusement, I spent 2 decades building cleanrooms.
m
0
l
November 22, 2010 12:31:17 PM

so do you guys agree with H70 as exhaust? to reduce dust built up?
m
0
l
a c 325 K Overclocking
November 22, 2010 12:32:06 PM

I'd think that's more difficult than it sounds; creating an environment like that to meet stringent requirements...operating rooms are nowhere near that clean...and they cut people open in those.

I've spent some decent time in the datacenters at work, and while those are remarkably clean, you can never ensure a dust-free environment on that scale with the volume of air being pumped around those server rooms. I've seen the filter screens; even a datacenter that rarely has people inside can collect a fair share of dust.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
November 22, 2010 12:52:13 PM

seesee said:
so do you guys agree with H70 as exhaust? to reduce dust built up?

The air inside your case is probably 4-6c warmer than the air outside, if you're good with running warm air over your rad for cooling, then by all means stick with it.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
November 22, 2010 1:01:14 PM

rubix_1011 said:
I'd think that's more difficult than it sounds; creating an environment like that to meet stringent requirements...operating rooms are nowhere near that clean...and they cut people open in those.

I've spent some decent time in the datacenters at work, and while those are remarkably clean, you can never ensure a dust-free environment on that scale with the volume of air being pumped around those server rooms. I've seen the filter screens; even a datacenter that rarely has people inside can collect a fair share of dust.

Not really, more filtration and silicone will get the job done..
A Class 1 room can register no more than one .5 micron particle per cfm during testing, these are what you would generally find in the pharmaceutical and silicon wafer industry.
If the room can't meet the federal standards it can't be used, and in the pharmaceutical industry the FDA has to be there during testing to make sure it's on the up and up.
m
0
l
!