Sign in with
Your question

Please help identifying Vista Memory (RAM) Error on Asus G1 Notebook

Last response: in Memory
September 8, 2009 5:50:44 AM

My Vista Ultimate 32bit laptop (Asus G1, 2GB RAM as 2x 1GB DDR2-667 in 2 banks) is giving me troubles already over the last few weeks.Occasional BSOD (IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, BAD_SPOOLER, NTFS.SYS, MEMORY_MAANGEMENT, etc.) or bootup problems pointed to some memory problems. With Vista Boot/Repair CD that could always be fixed - so far.

Until today. Computer doesn't boot anymore, no difference if Safe Mode, Normal or Last Known Good Configuration. Vista Repair CD doesn't detect and can't repair any startup errors.

So I ran Memory Test which came back with "Hardware Problem detected" right away. So probably 1 or both Memory bars are defect or even a bank or 2.

Here is what I did to further consolidate the error and the occurring symptoms:

- both memory stick in both banks

no bootup, computer starts, Vista green progress bar appears short time, then black screen with hd activity for ever

- only 1 meory stick (0) in bank (0)

bootup till blue Vista bubble, than "Please wait" on Vista background screen, then black sreen with mouse cursor only, cursor is working, but no other activity, no CTRL-ALT-DEL possible, only switch off

- only 1 memory stick (1) in bank (1)

bootup till blue Vista bubble, than "Please wait" on Vista background screen, then black sreen with mouse cursor only, cursor is working, but no other activity, no CTRL-ALT-DEL possible, only switch off

- only 1 memory stick (1) in bank (0)

- only 1 memory stick (0) in bank (1)

no bootup at all. screen stays black and all status LED are blinking

That tells me that either the memory stick or the bank is defect.

Can you please help me identifying what is the best way forward? Unfortunately I currently live on a small island with no access to alternative RAM module. Have to go 4 hours to next big town with mall, where I could buy memory modules if necessary.

What should I look for?

1 memory stick? or 2 right away? And what is the possible hardware problem? Bank0 or 1? Or only the memory?

Please help me to find the right way, as trial and error can prove costly for me here in the middle of nowhere. ;-)

Thanks,

Chris
a b } Memory
September 8, 2009 10:12:18 AM

Well you're going to be even more pleased to hear that there is not really much to definitively indicate that the RAM is the culprit. All of those stop error types can be caused by defects in numerous hardware components. RAM is just one of them.
m
l
!