Your question

New Build

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
March 23, 2009 6:49:23 PM

First time building, I'm pretty sure everything I have is compatible, just wanted to make sure. I will be ordering all these parts from newegg in the next couple of days, I want to be sure that when it arrives in the mail, I will have everything I need to make the system work. Particularly looking for things I overlooked. Not overclocking right away, but I will eventually. Most likely will not be making use of crossfire support.

CPU
E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz

MoBo
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45

Video Card
PNY VCGGTX285XPB GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit

HD
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB
I see that getting recommended so much on these boards I would feel stupid posting anything else, lol

Memory
mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800
Buying 2 kits, for a total of 8GB

Wireless Card
D-Link WDA-2320
This is the best I could find as being the most likely being compatible with 64 bit Vista, if anyone has any recommendations, I'm listening.

DVD burner
HP 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model DVD1060I

PSU
Antec Signature SG650 650W

CPU Fan
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler Right now its comboed with my CPU

Thermal Compound
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

Fan Controller
ZALMAN MFC1 Plus-B Black 6 Channel Multi Fan Controller

Case
NZXT TEMPEST Crafted Series CS-NT-TEM-B

OS
Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Monitor
ASUS VW192T+ 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor

Have a keyboard and mouse already, Looking for something I might have forgotten or overlooked that would prevent me from building a fully functioning computer using just these parts

More about : build

March 23, 2009 7:10:01 PM

It is a well thought of build. But, I'm afraid your build won't be "future-proof" enough. There really isn't a whole lot of expansion you can do if somewhere down the road you decide to step it up. I don't know your plans for this rig, or how long you plan to keep it.

Your motherboard does not have SLI capabilities, meaning if you wanted to add another GTX 295 in a few years, your stuck. If you decided to SLI with a compatible motherboard, your PSU might be a little underpowered. 650W is cutting it dangerously short, I recommend getting something with more juice; again, assuming you want to upgrade down the line. I'm unsure how much power 2 GTX 295's consume, but I'd recommend anything 750+, like this one.

March 23, 2009 7:15:33 PM

Not looking to upgrade this down the line, Not looking to use a second GFX card
Related resources
March 23, 2009 7:22:03 PM

In that case, it is overall a good build; but your monitor could be stepped up a bit, a GTX 295 is OVERKILL for a single 19". You might enjoy the insane graphics with something larger, like a decent 22" or anything above that. This again, is totally up to you, I don't know your situation. Check this ASUS 22" out, with the rebate you will only have to spend an extra $30. Without it it's $50. I totally recommend it.

March 23, 2009 7:22:51 PM

You have a very small monitor and a massively powerful gfx card .

You'd be better with a 4870 1 gig or GTX 260 216 and a 22 inch monitor . You will still get very good frame rates .

For wireless I dont see much advantage having a wireless connection to a desktop . If you want to connect a laptop to the machine or the net buy a wireless router and use that instead so you dont have to leave your desk top on all the time to get wireless access .
March 23, 2009 7:31:31 PM

int0xication said:
In that case, it is overall a good build; but your monitor could be stepped up a bit, a GTX 295 is OVERKILL for a single 19". You might enjoy the insane graphics with something larger, like a decent 22" or anything above that. This again, is totally up to you, I don't know your situation. Check this ASUS 22" out, with the rebate you will only have to spend an extra $30. Without it it's $50. I totally recommend it.

The monitor in the build has a 1680 x 1050 which is a step up from the standard 1440 x 900 for most 19" monitors, but your right, the vid card is over kill. A gtx 285 would be nice for that resolution if he wanted to play Crysis on high with all the settings turned up and get great frame rates.
March 23, 2009 7:53:10 PM

Agree with comments on GPU vs Screen size.

If you really want a 19" an Ati 4850 would do nicely.

Preferably go for GTX260 or ATi 4870 and a 22" monitor.
March 23, 2009 7:54:17 PM

Thank you for your suggestions, it was my intention to eventually add a second monitor (about 3 months), which is the reason for the overkill GFX card, But what you said does make sense, and I will be getting the 22". As for the wireless, I need it to connect the internet, It would be a large inconvenience (read: a really long cable running through my entire house), and would really help with that.
March 23, 2009 8:10:27 PM

Mr_Bojangles said:
Thank you for your suggestions, it was my intention to eventually add a second monitor (about 3 months), which is the reason for the overkill GFX card, But what you said does make sense, and I will be getting the 22". As for the wireless, I need it to connect the internet, It would be a large inconvenience (read: a really long cable running through my entire house), and would really help with that.

Some fixes for your build. :) 

The mobo you chose will work fine, but it's set up for Crossfire (dual ati cards). The identical mobo to that one ,but with one PCI-E slot is this one here.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $114.99 ($99.99 after $15.00 Mail-In Rebate)
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
2 oz copper PCB + Easy Tune 6 for OC

Also that antec is way over priced. Try this one down here and save some more money.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $89.99 ($69.99 after $20.00 Mail-In Rebate) Free Shipping*
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail

Last but least. The E8500 in my book was a way for Intel to scam a few more bucks. E8400 is cheaper, and if you take a few minutes and bump up that E8400 to (9 x 400) for a nice mild OC of 3.6GHz at 1600 fsb your getting performance, and saving money.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $164.99 Free Shipping*
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail
!