Sign in with
Your question

Can't boot from CD at all.

Last response: in CPUs
June 26, 2009 6:11:41 PM

A friend deleted what we believe to be his windows folder, we're not 100% sure, so now he can't use his computer, whenever he trys to it says he doesn't have the nltdr file, so we put that on a floppy, and then it said we need hal.dll so we put THAT on the floppy, but then it said we need the ntdlr again, and we can't get past this, so we decided to try to boot from the windows XP professional re-installation disc (his computer started with it installed) but it never gives us the option to boot from cd.
Any solutions?

More about : boot

a b à CPUs
June 26, 2009 6:14:39 PM

set the boot order in the bios to boot from cd first, and then your primary hard drive.

This should be in the windows part of the forum, not the CPU / Components section.
June 26, 2009 6:18:52 PM

When we try that it says we need the ntldr
And sorry about wrong section.

EDIT:When we try to boot from hard drive or disc it says we need ntldr, when we try to boot from floppy it says we need hal.dll
Related resources
June 26, 2009 6:42:02 PM

I guess no one knows how to fix this?

If not could you at least say so, this is our last option before paying for a professional repair or even a new computer all together (he's unemployed at the moment so he can't really afford it)

Sorry If I seem pushy or annoying, but we've been trying to fix this for 4 days.
a b à CPUs
June 26, 2009 6:49:41 PM

We just told you how. Make sure the boot sequence boots from CD first.... and then it will work, based on your reply your obviously haven't done that.

You dont give any details on the boot order of your devices... so its hard for anyone to give you any help.
June 26, 2009 7:18:14 PM

I just told you we tryed that and it wont work, based on my reply I obviously did that.

And the boot order was what everyone said to make it (we tryed every single possible combination.)
a b à CPUs
June 26, 2009 7:42:59 PM

then the cd/dvd is faulty, or the drive is faulty. Try the disc on another machine to find out which it is.
a b à CPUs
June 26, 2009 9:10:49 PM

did you "press any key to boot from cd" after bios screen?
June 26, 2009 9:38:24 PM

imjesse said:
A friend deleted what we believe to be his windows folder, we're not 100% sure, so now he can't use his computer, whenever he trys to it says he doesn't have the nltdr file, so we put that on a floppy, and then it said we need hal.dll so we put THAT on the floppy, but then it said we need the ntdlr again, and we can't get past this, so we decided to try to boot from the windows XP professional re-installation disc (his computer started with it installed) but it never gives us the option to boot from cd.
Any solutions?

Ok go to your bios and check you cd rom as you 1st boot device. Un plugg all usb except mouse and key board. if you dont have a floppy drive check disablefloppy in your bios. Also be ready to press a key when it says "press any key to boot. Somtimes you fave to press f8 to get you cd rom to boot
June 27, 2009 2:08:19 AM

Thanks guys, we're going to try those solutions as soon as possible, thanks a lot for the help.

(this problem has NOT been resolved by the way, we haven't tryed these solutions yet)
!