Hi there

my specs

asus crosshair
athlon 64 x2 5000+
4 Gb Giel ram
2x Geforce
9600 in SLI
Silence 800watt PSU

One day my machine shut down on its own. (no warning)
now it will not even post. at first i thought it might be my PSU. but i have tested with another PSU and the same thing. the board powers up when you switch on but does not goto post. i am now left thinking it is my mobo but not sure. i was wondering anybody could help shed some light on this problem before i go and order a new mobo. if you need any more info let me know.

ibnsina

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Read the following which I have I written before, it should help you find the cause of the problem.
..................................................................................................................................................

Firstly touch the metal case to remove any static that have build up in your body.

Unplug the power Cable from the back of the Power supply. Also unplug keyboard, mouse, speaker cables.

Reset the Motherboard, there should be a reset button(jumper) on Motherboard. Or simply take the battery out and put it back in. Refer to motherboard manual for further instructions.

Carefully remove all parts from motherboard, leaving only the cpu and the fan. Then unplug all cables (i.e HD, DVD, case etc) connected to the motherboard except the Power supply cable and of course CPU fan.

Now add the Graphics Card, make sure it sits on the slot properly.

Now add just 1 Memory card in Slot 1. Make sure you insert it the right way. There's a guider at the bottom of card to help you, if you notice one side of metal connectors is longer than the other side. You should hear clicking sound once insert it properly. You can leave others till later )

Now connect the main power cable to back of Power supply and connect the Monitor cable to the Graphics card. Make sure the monitor is switched On.

Now is time to switch on the Motherboard, either by pressing the internal Power button located on MotherBoard or by locating the power Switch cable coming from the front of the Case and connecting it to the motherboard jumpers (it might be labelled PW or PWR).

The screen should display the bios screen. If it does that means these parts are not the cause of the fault. If it doesn’t then go to - Part 2

Then what you do is Disconnect the power and add the parts one bye one to the system. Each time you add part or connect a cable, turn the system on to make sure it works.

Basically this is one way to find what is causing a blank screen.

......................................................................................
PART 2 (still have blank screen)
......................................................................................

Unplug the power Cable from the back of the Power supply. Also unplug keyboard, mouse, speaker cables etc

Carefully remove all parts from motherboard, leaving only the cpu, the fan. Then unplug all cables connected to the motherboard.

Very carefully unscrew motherboard and take it out from the case. Place it on top of the Motherboard box, with the anti static bag underneath it (or on top plastic or wooden board.)

Now add memory to slot 1 as before. remember it must click when insert it. Next add the Graphics Card, make sure it sits on the slot properly.

Now connect the power cables from the power supply to the motherboard.

Now connect the main power cable to back of Power supply and connect the Monitor cable to the Graphics card. Make sure the monitor is switched On.

Now is time to switch on the Motherboard, either by pressing the internal Power button located on Motherboard or by making a metal contact to motherboard Power jumpers (it might be labelled PW or PWR).

The screen should display the bios screen. If it does that means these party are not the cause of the fault, it could be that you did not install Motherboard to case properly.

However if the fault still exist, it means it could CPU, Graphics card, Memory or Motherboard that is causing the fault.

.............................................................................................................
Part three
.............................................................................................................

When an IBM compatible computer is first turned on, the hardware runs a Power-On Self Test (POST). If errors are encountered during this POST test, they are usually displayed via an audio beep or in the form of a code number flashed across the screen. With this audio code in hand, you can determine what part of the system is having problems and find a solution.

The pattern of beeps whether its the number of beeps or the length of those beeps will give you an indication of the actual problem. Its a distress signal from the computer in a morse code like pattern. Unless you have a diagnostic card to tell you more about the particular problem, you will have to use the charts to decipher the computer error and get your machine back up and running.

This following gives troubleshooting tips for when you hear beep codes and your desktop board does not boot up successfully. (source Inte.coml)

You are getting 1, 2, or 3 beeps that indicate a memory failure.

1 beep - Refresh Error (with nothing on the screen and it is not a video problem)

2 beeps - Parity Error

3 beeps - Base 64 K memory failure
Reseat the memory.
Make sure that the contacts on the memory and the socket are clean.
Try removing one bank of memory modules at a time. Note: Some systems might need to have a memory module in Bank 0.
Try using memory modules from the same manufacturer with the same part number and speed.
Check for a faulty memory module by trying the memory in a known good system.
Trying known good memory in the system.
Check the power supply and check for power fluctuations.
If the steps above do not resolve the problem, the desktop board may be defective. Try a different desktop board.

You are getting 4 beeps indicating a timer not operational:
Check for foreign objects such as screws that may ground the desktop board and make sure that screws that hold the motherboard are not too tight.
Try a different desktop board.

You are getting 5 beeps indicating a processor error:
Check for foreign objects such as screws that may ground the desktop board and make sure the screws that hold the board are not too tight.
Make sure the processor is seated properly.
Try a different processor.
Remove the desktop board from the chassis and reinstall it.
If the steps above do not resolve the problem, the desktop board may be defective. Try a different desktop board.

You are getting 6 beeps indicating 8042 - gate A20 failure:
Check for foreign objects such as screws that may ground the desktop board and make sure the screws that hold the motherboard are not too tight.
Try a different keyboard.

You are getting 7 beeps indicating processor exception interrupt error
Make sure the processor is seated properly.

You are getting 8 beeps indicating display memory read/write failure
Make sure that you have a video card on your system.
If possible, swap the memory on the video card.
Try a different video card.

You are getting 9 beeps indicating ROM checksum error
Try reflashing the system BIOS.
If possible, try reseating the system BIOS chip.

You are getting 10 beeps indicating CMOS shutdown register read/write error

You are getting 11 beeps indicating cache memory bad
Make sure the system is configured properly (CMOS Setup Program and jumpers on the board) for the RAM cache.
If possible, replace the RAM cache.

pezy86

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
i followed the above steps. i think the board has gone a well. ordered a new board. will post when it is installed.