MY PSU BURNED OUT BUT IS THAT IT?!?! HELP!

nytrus90

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Hi Guys

right i had this PSU that the front 80mm venting fan was not spinning and mad it run really hot. well long story short i thought i fixed it by putting a 80mm case fan to blow on it to cool it down.

well i was using it all fine and that after a reboot i logged into windows and it just shut down (bit like a power cut) and i then smelt a odor from the PSU.

so i was like errrrrmmmmmm crums lol...... so i fired it back up nothing..... took it out and it didnt wanna work anymore so its died due to overheating because of the fan failing.

i am in the process of gettting the PSU replaced...... but my question is could it of killed any other componets?

i dont have another PSU strong enough to power the machine but if anyone has got any experience with this matter could they please tell me their story.

Kind regards

Sean

NOTE: PSU in question AlphaPower 1050watt (it has over voltage protection)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Yes, it could have blown any number of components. It could have blown the CPU and motherboard at the same time. It could have blown everything all at once.

It probably didn't. You can't find out until you replace the broken power unit.

nytrus90

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Why did you go and say that :( now i am going to be worried sick till i get my replacement :(

but thank you for replying, has anyone else experieced this kind of issue and what was thier out come?

Regards

Sean

tecmo34

Administrator
I have two stories...

1.) I added another video card to one of my first systems in SLI and after about 20 minutes of gaming... I had the same thing happen that you did. I replaced my PSU and all was good. My PSU wasn't powerful enough to handle two cards in SLI (I was a newbie and didn't realize I need more power to handle two cards).

2.) I was stretching an OC to as high as I could go and when the system boot up just fine, started my Prime95 test... and 5 seconds later everything shut off. I tried to start back up.. no luck... I purchased a new PSU and tried it again... Smoke came from my CPU and all was died. I adjusted my voltage a little to much trying to get more out of an overclock and it killed me PSU, MOBO and CPU. The good part of this story is, I rebuilt to my current system, which is much better. However, I did like how my Q6600 performed as a 775 chip.

nytrus90

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Thank you, well i didnt over clock, the comp was not stressing when it died, it just booted windows lol (vista 64bit)

i guess it jus blow due to over heating.

well at least you said the comp was fine, thats a good sign.

Anymore stories?

Regards

Sean

nytrus90

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Just a quick update. there is no physical damage done too the mobo and CPU. they smell fine.

this is the first time going threw all this, am i missing something or can i clearly rule out that the PSU didnt take out anyother hardware?

Regards

Sean

nytrus90

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Its cool dude i would like to thank you for your support, it not a very easy time to go threw when you have hardware failing and i guess ill have to wait for the verdict when i get my replacement i will report back as i hate reading threads where the OP just give up.

can electrical damage be non physical?

like could it be damaged but not look defective in any way.

Kind regards

Sean

mellor x

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
yes,

what can happen with a cheaper PSU is it can give of a little surge of power before it dies, not much, but it can be enough to take out a couple connections that cant be re-connected (like a transistor or something)

it may not be visible but it will still be there,

go for a good gaming PSU if you dont trust yous.

but by the sounds of it you should be ok, but no one could tell you for certain untill you have it all riged up again,

let me know how it goes and i hope there is no other damage apart form the PSU

mellor x

nytrus90

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Thank you i will Definately keep you guys up to date as i do in all my threads.

well this PSU has some safety features, they are.:

* Over voltage protection
* Over current protection
* Over load protection
* Short circuit protection

do you recon that one of the above would of kicked in to save my hardware?

Kind regards

Sean

NOTE: here is a link to the psu that i have got.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160344290556&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

tecmo34

Administrator
Yes those should've had helped!!

I would not trust your PC to any power supply outside of Corsair, Antec, PC Power & Cooling or OCZ (owns PC P&C). Your PSU is the last thing you want to get at a bargin price or low grade component.

nytrus90

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
:( yeah i wish i had know that before i went and blew the rest of my funds lol

Well im getting a replacement of the same PSU, i have no other choice. but my next build the PSU will be of QUALITY.

Thank you for your advice on this matter.

i pray that no components are fried. but with all the "protection" do you think there is still a possiabllity?

does anyone else have any stories of the same thing happening to them?

Regards

Sean

nytrus90

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
hmmm. :( spose there is no other way of knowing until i get my new PSU

just a quick question. if it did zap the system would it effect my GPU?

thats the one thing im scared about because the rest of my system is still under warrenty and it can b RMA'd if it is dead.

Regards

Sean

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
First of all I would have been amazed that some one put a crappy fan in a powersupply which is 1050w

Really they should be a 120mm fan as - a its quieter and b. more effecient at cooling.

I would guess that the powersupply is pretty crappy in the first place.

Just looked it up - yup its not a gooden.

I would expect to spend over £150 if you want a decent 1050watt

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/484/

If you want high power then this is the one.

Dont go for cheap it could damage the rest of your system

tip - never buy components off ebay...

anyway why do you need a 1050w are your running quad sli or something

spend the money wisely on a 650w Corsair.

But unless your unlucky i doubt other components are damaged.

nytrus90

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Thank you for your reply, the PSU did come with a 134mm fan on the bottom but it has a 80mm vent fan on the other side, problem was that fan didnt spin and as a result it over heated and burned out.Now the reason to why i bought it, Well me been non-educated at the time when i purchased the PSU i thought to myself wow..... 1050watt PSU that cateers to my needs and has enough power to be future proof! and its dirt CHEAP! wow BUY!

Now i regret making the decision, but i guess you learn from your mistakes. my next build will be with a QUALITY PSU maybe make the same build and put a 750w thermaltake in there.

what i really want to find out is other peoples stories on this matter, what was their outcome when thier PSU burned out like mine did.

im guessing one of the capistors overheated and blew. there was a burnt smell present also know as the "brown smell" when the PC just shut down, like a power cut to be exact but there was no power cut lol.

so yeah any stories people could share with me?

Regards

Sean

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

When will people learn than not all psu's are created equal.

I wish people would not get fooled in to buying a £35 1050 watt psu.. Its going to be crap components all the way through.

Why do you think corsairs are over £150.. Because the are quality in rail performance.

nytrus90

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
well im running the same kind of setup just with an phenom maybe 500 watts max load on the PSU.

Still dont explain why it over heated :S because it werent overloaded or nothing :S

Regards

Sean

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

its just that some psus are problematic

if you want a crap psu then look at some sweex 400w

nytrus90

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Well maybe i wont have so much bad luck with the next one, should be getting a replacement this week. hopefully depends on when they dispatch and how royal mail are doing things lol

has this problem of a burnt out PSU happen to anyone else, if so what was thier experience?

Regards

Sean

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

I have had a customer whos machine was totalled in a thunder storm.

even the hard disk got fried.

more of the same as you really - powersupplies which blew up in a puff of smoke

nytrus90

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
WOAH! thats extreme lol

that happened to one of my friends, there was a thunderstorm it his mobo blew lol.

anyone else?

Regards

Sean