Vista 64 bit random memory issue

Karribu

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
Hello,

This is my system specs...

Intel core i7 920 DO stepping
Asus tek P6T Motherboard
DDR3 6gig Corsair memory PC3-10700H (667 Mhz)
Radeon HD 4890
850W Antec psu
Windows Vista OEM premium

The problem is that windows was detecting 4gig of ram on the first install. I had a problem with Avast! which wiped out some inportant update installing software, so I re-installed. Still 4gig. After updating to latest version service pack, it detects 6gig.

I just switched my monitors cable from a vga - vga to a hdmi - dvi and for some bizzare reason windows was showing 4gig again. A couple of restarts and still the same. I've checked the bios and it's detecting 6135mb of usable RAM, and on start up its now detecting 6gig again.

Anyone have any Idea's? I spent ages putting this baby together (i'm still a noob) and I'd hate it to be a hardware issue.

Thanks for any info in advance.

Karrí

Karribu

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
Sorry! I thought I put that in. It's 64 bit version.

Today I pushed the sticks in firm to make sure they are connected properly. One of them budged like....a millometer, if that! Today, Vista is still detecting 6gig.

With DIMM modules the most important thing is to make sure that they're pushed into the socket far enough so that the retaining tabs at each end of the socket can flip up and engage into the notches at each end of the module.

Other than reseating the modules, I can't think of any other advice for you...

Karribu

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
haven't had the problem for a few days now. Bios, windows and CPU-Z all show 6gig, so hopefully it was something that's not going to happen again. I will say this, everytime I've had the problem, it's because if installed new hardware or software.

Karribu

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
*** ed the board up, had to clean install windows. I'll do it as a last resort, got 6gig for the last week now.

Shouldn't my board already come with correct settings anyway, its fairly new.