bottomfeeders5

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
umm..ok...I got a real hum dinger here...I just built a pc...asus p5n-d, q6600, powerking 650w psu, 9800gt sli, 4 gb (2x2gb) pc2-6400~800MHz, 250gb wd se16, all in an antec 300 case...now it runs seemingly fine enough...but there is this annoying RANDOM beep every now and then. just a single short (1/4-1/2 sec.) beep...sometimes 2 or 3 times in a minute or sometimes 1 in 5 or 6 hours...very random...although it's always when there is drive activity...then again with this build there is CONSTANT drive activity at all times...oh and did I mention, the oddest thing about this beep, is that there is NO system warning speaker on or connected to my mobo =p ...anyone got any ideas?

bottomfeeders5

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
so blam...I'm sittin' on the can about 2.5 seconds after eatin' some psychedelic bolivian death peppers..and it comes to me...mad crazy disk activity + beep when no mobo buzzer = hdd beeping! but since when do hdd's beep? in 20+ years of tinkering (breaking many a drive along the way =p)I've never heard a hdd beep. so...after cleaning up the mess in the john...I proceeded to order a new drive from our fine friends at Newegg...I'll let ya know how it works out in a few days when it gets here ... Thanks to all that took a look at my quandry =)

bottomfeeders5

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
lol you may just have a point there...honestly I'm only using it because it was free...also I had to splice the 12v p4 lead to add length to reach the connector on the mobo...guess I oughtta pony up a c note or so for a decent psu..but it is supplying plenty of juice to my sli 9800's w/out a hiccup...I guess it's my drive telling me this though, as I stated above, there is no buzzer on or connected to my mobo. so if the new drive I ordered starts beeping too, then I'll definitly try another psu.

thanks

Anytime you see specifications like this (the really heavy 5 volt rail), you can tell that it's an obsolete design. It may have SATA connectors, PCIe connectors, and an 8 pin EPS connector, and you bought it last week; but it's an old design that the manufacturer simply put extra cabling on instead or redesigning.

And if he was that cheap, what corner-cutting did he do inside the case?

Plus, hard drives can't beep. They physically do not have any way to beep. So, your drive idea is definitely wrong.

Now, as for what the problem actually is? I have no idea, though I agree with everyone else that you should probably get a better PSU.

bottomfeeders5

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
yeah...I'm already shopping for a better psu...but yes Virginia, hard drives can and do beep, it's a product of SMART, to warn you of iminent failure, I read elsewhere....and I replaced that hard drive this afternoon and BLAM, no more beep =) Thanks guys...and as I said above, I only used that psu cuz it was free and it was on hand....got my eye on an OCZ GameXtreme 700 atm =)

Thanks again folks

bottomfeeders5

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
oh and yes.. I cut corners inside the case... I got 3 very cheap blue led 120mm fans for intakes $1.98 ea. =p other than that...asus p5n-d (hella cheap..I managed to get it for $35 american,brand new) core 2 quad q6600, 2x2gb patriot viper pc2-6400~800 4-4-4-12, sumsung dvd+/rw, and now WD 320gb se16 sataII...last years build I know but it's my 1st complete build and was a hella upwardly mobile step from my old dell p4 3.2ghz =p