Sign in with
Your question

Custom Built PC on Craigslist.

Last response: in Systems
March 23, 2009 10:02:26 PM

Here's the direct link to the ad.

I'm apprehensive to buy a used PC on Craigslist but wanted to get some opinions since it's been awhile since I've built a PC.

Motherboard: Asus P5ND2-SLI: if youre not familiar with this board it has support for all dual core processors, as well as SATA (and Esata) and has two graphics card slots for dual SLI nvidia graphics. It has just about every human comfort a board can offer including firewire, tons of usb ports, and even dual IDE channels (for older hard drives and DVD drives, a rarity these days) Look it up.

3.2ghz Intel Pentium 4 HT
3gb DDR2 800mhz ram
Video Card: Nvidia Geforce 7900GT 256MB from EVGA i think
OR I can install an ATI radeon x1900xt but who wants an ATi grapics card in an Nvidia motherboard?
320GB SATA hard drive with 16mb cache
Can also include a dual 80gb (160gb total) raid0 high performance IDE setup. Makes games load way faster. Put your pagefile on it for super fast multitasking! (50$ more)
Creative Soundblaster X-fi Sound card (as well as onboard sound-DUAL sound I/O)

Case is a raidmax smilodon black and green. Has LED's on the front door and installed green and purple cold cathodes (removed the garish green LED fan cause it was just way too bright but I could dig it out and reinstall it if you like. It looks much better this way IMO).

500watt power supply from thermaltake with dual PCE-E plugs for those SLI setups, dual SATA rails (total of 4 sata plugs) and 4 count em FOUR 12 volt INDEPENDANT rails with 5 molex on each. The power supply itself is black with gold hardware, very good looking.
March 23, 2009 10:18:26 PM

Asus P5ND2-SLI is a 2005 vintage motherboard. Do you know how old the whole system is?

THG's System Builder's Guide $625 with a HD 4870 video card
(but without XP/32bit and old Dell CRT monitor)

You'd want to check on the actual model of PSU - something about "FOUR 12 volt INDEPENDANT rails with 5 molex on each" doesn't sound quite right to me.
March 23, 2009 10:34:41 PM

That system would have been decent about 3-4 years ago, but is very unimpressive compared to the current parts available. I wouldn't pay over $200 for that system. You can get MUCH more value for your money building a computer based off of current hardware.

What's your budget? What do you plan on doing with this computer? Do you already have a monitor, keyboard, mouse?
Related resources
March 23, 2009 10:34:47 PM

It's very misleading when it said "this board it has support for all dual core processors." The only dual core processors you can upgrade on this system is a Pentium D. It has no support for Core2Duo.

Also, when he said "Video Card: Nvidia Geforce 7900GT 256MB from EVGA i think
OR I can install an ATI radeon x1900xt but who wants an ATi grapics card in an Nvidia motherboard?" is even more misleading. He wants to get rid of the 7900GT because he knows that the ATI radeon x1900xt is a better videocard.

and the final misleading thing is the price of $600 or more. This computer may be worth more than $600 back in 2005, but it's 2009. It has depreciated to the point that it has little value to offer. I wouldn't even buy it for $200. The computer parts are very old and could burn out at any time. You can buy or build a much cheaper and better computer with $500-600.

If you don't want to build a computer. I think the prices at http://www.cyberpowerpc.com are decent. I've seen some pretty nice computers that are around $500-700. Not to mention the 3 year limited warranty plus the life-time technical support the company gives you.

March 24, 2009 1:32:29 AM

The answer lies in your text
"I'm apprehensive to buy a used PC on Craigslist"
March 24, 2009 1:38:15 AM

what do you say you give us a budget you might have and we can walk you through building it, and we can help yuo select the parts and all that good jazz. you gotta alot of tech savvy people checking your post who would be more then willing to assemble a list of parts within your budget and walk you through it all.
!