Fairly sure it is a hopeless gesture, but have I missed anything

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
I have sitting beside me a reasonably new, normal looking 4870, which I have been told I can have - I can have it because it is broken, and the box and recepit and whatever else needed to RMA it are missing and generally it is a worthless pile of *insert expletive*.
Apparently it worked originally for the friend of a friend who bought it, who forced the fan up to decent speeds, but then one day the guy moved the whole computer, loaded it up and had massive white and grey lines streaked all over the screen. I figured it was almost certainly dead and a lost cause, but put it in my own computer just as a test and lo and behold, massive artifacting and in fact a BSOD on trying to load into windows. Since every other component has essentially been swapped out it is fairly obvious that it is the graphics card at fault.
I tried to fix it using my fairly limited knowledge of the thing and have had no luck, power supply and cooling don't "seem" to be the problems, and i'm fairly sure somewhere there is a loose connection or some permeanently screwed RAM, but I am nothing if not miserly, and any chance of a free upgrade to a working 4870 shall not be thrown away, hence this post, in case there is anything obvious I should have tried to fix that I have not. (yes everything was plugged in, no the capacitors aren't exploding, no I can't see any major physical defects etc.)

jennyh

Splendid
Well it's highly unlikely it will ever work like a 4870.

One route you might wanna look at is flashing the bios to its original state and then downclocking it if needed. You can find 4870 bios's around, try techpowerup.com to learn more about it if you want.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
ah yes... the heatspreader.... the card is sitting next to me right now with only one screw in it because the damn thing won't come out.... I'll try again tomorrow i suppose