What kind of heat is BAD

Im over clocking my system and before i run the 8hour stree test, i want to know what is the RED ZONE for TEmp.

I have the fallowing:
MB- Giga p55aud4p
CPU - i5 760
Ram-ZippJaw9-9-9-24? @2gb x 2 stick
CPU cooler - CoolIT ACT (self contained Liquid cooling)
Case - Coolmaster-Sniper

Right nowi have my Bio set up to:

3.4Ghz

-Toe

p.s. i have been using this youtube video as my baseline....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Llqhe3N1cJA

reason is i have the same MB, only thing i change from the video in tuning is the Base clock, which is at 170
12 answers Last reply
More about what kind heat
  1. if i didn't put enought info, let me know what kind of other info you need from me, so i can get some answers....
  2. For your CPU, I'd say that you want it under 70C ideally, although there isn't really any serious risk until you start pushing up into the 80s.
  3. your system good ! u can OC to 4Ghz !
  4. For temperature guidelines, I try to stay in the 30s (Celsius) for idle temps. For load temps, your safe around the 60-70C level, but as someone else said before try not to go past 80's. I usually have load temps around high 50's/low 60's on an i5-750 at 3.8 Ghz.
  5. I wouldn't run any cpu over 60C. If you are that hot, you need better cooling.
  6. GenericUser said:
    For temperature guidelines, I try to stay in the 30s (Celsius) for idle temps. For load temps, your safe around the 60-70C level, but as someone else said before try not to go past 80's. I usually have load temps around high 50's/low 60's on an i5-750 at 3.8 Ghz.

Wow you are pusing yours to 3.8Ghz? pm me your parts, i want to see what kinda of tweaking you have done also!
  7. henydiah said:
    your system good ! u can OC to 4Ghz !

if you are refering to the youtube vid then i can't. in that video they mention that they are tunning a i7, i on the other hand only have a i5.

i tried to turn my base clock up to 175 and my muliplyer to 20, it won't load... but i got my base on 170 and multiplier to 20
  8. ahthurungnone said:
    I wouldn't run any cpu over 60C. If you are that hot, you need better cooling.

On my previous setting, my Base clock was 150, and the multiplier was x 20. this gave me 3.0Ghz and i was running high 50's and bearly breaking 60..... but when i thought of it... i knew i could gain another .4ghz but the heat will be pushed to the high 60's.... this I will keep in mind!! do you think i need to re-set my cooling unit on the cpu? maybe its not on even? and when i install that ALC, i ddin't use any compound...... should i do this? i was also thnkin of looping(sand paper the cpu past the coating) for better cooling but i was thinkin of selling this cpu down the raod and get either a duel quad or a i7.
  9. okay, i got school right now, and im going to run the stress test until i get back, maybe 2 hours, and ill see from that test how high my temp actually got.

BUT i already know i need to get the thermal compound.... right? since i didn't use any when installing the cooling the first time.
  10. i have my i5 running at 4.16Ghz on a Mini ITX mobo and dont see temps past 65* C on full load on prime95 for 10Hrs.

generally ANY kind of heat is bad :lol:

the threshdold for CPUs on what is safe is 70* C on full load is a good threshold
  11. tx-jose said:
    i have my i5 running at 4.16Ghz on a Mini ITX mobo and dont see temps past 65* C on full load on prime95 for 10Hrs.

generally ANY kind of heat is bad :lol:

the threshdold for CPUs on what is safe is 70* C on full load is a good threshold

WOW, 4.16ghz.....

... Does this mean i should be messing with my voltage? see whats the miniuim voltage with most power combo is? and maybe that would lower my heat problem in the process? I just left it on Auto for the voltages.

When i turned on the prime95 on, i took a quick look before i left the house for school(which is where im at right now) it topped out at 70*C.
  12. i tweaked with my voltage manually, and put it to 1.1 instad of auto, which had it at 1.31v and now im seeing a load of 55*C max on core#0 everything is lower, but i will run a longer test on it tomorrow.
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking