Swap Intel integrated for Nvidia integrated?

MuppetThumper

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
Hi All,

Recently acquired a Sony Vaio VGC JS1E, one of these all-in-one PCs that the Tom's Hardware fraternity probably hate for being overpriced and a classic case of style over substance. I'm not going to disagree with those principles, other than to say that I got a great deal and a space saving solution was a necessity. Lastly I absolutely love the keyboard - which is actually a very important consideration for me.

Spec wise its fine... apart from the dreaded Intel 4500 gfx. I can't really complain given the great price I paid, and I'm not a huge PC gamer, I've got an xbox for most of those needs. However I do like to indulge in WoW from time to time and would like to be able to play Diablo 3 when it comes out. Currently Im getting 15-20 fps in WoW which is a little disappointing.

Sony have just released a successor, the JS2, which carries a Nvidia 9300 GS. Now I'm not an expert on these things, hence my asking you fine people, but aside from a slightly faster processor and the Nvidia card, everything else is the same - I mean, the things are near identical. My question therefore is... would that include the motherboard? And if so, could I pull out the Intel 4500 and put in the Nvidia 9300 - which, from a power/heat point of view must be fine as its included in the JS2? Has anyone ever done such a thing before?

Any advice would be appreciated. If such a swap of integrated cards isn't possible, are there any other ways of boosting the Intel 4500 gfx performance under Vista or am I pretty much stuffed?

Thanks

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
Stuffed.

Unfortunately you cannot replace the 4500 at all, barring replacing the motherboard, and I assume its beyond your know how.

I wouldn't want to perform that task myself.

Zenthar

Distinguished
cliffro's right, the "integrated" video card is actually a soldered chip on the motherboard, you cannot change it. By the look of it, there is also no way of adding any kind of alternate GPU in there.