Ssd in a netbook (OCZ vertex 2 or ocz onyx)

Hi,

I just got a new netbook, an em350 n450 1.66ghz. It came with a 160gb 5200rpm hard drive and i was thinking of swapping that out and putting in either a 62gb vertex 2 or a 32gb onyx (both ocz). My question is will there be much difference in speed considering the slow processor. the onyx is $80 and the vertex is $160 (Aus $). I am not that concerned about the amount of storage as i will mainly be using it for uni and not filling it up with music and vid's etc.... Mainly i am looking for faster boot up times and better battery consumption.

I have a vertex 2 in my desktop at home and its AMAZING. but will a netbook perform any better with the slower read and write times between these models?
8 answers Last reply
More about netbook vertex onyx
  1. There will be a substantial difference in speed. Speed, I mean by loading time of programs. But since it is backed up with a slow processor, I would suggest saving money and go with Onyx.
  2. Both SSD's have Trim support which is wonderful in Win7. It optimizes the sectors to keep the SSD at its top performance. I have intel g2 160gb SSD, and its great.

Sorry for double post...
  3. Just a thing to note: many netbooks use 1.8" hard drives. That means you'll have to get SSD's in that form factor if that's what your netbook uses. I tried looking around on the web to see which form factor it uses, but the sites I visited didn't list it.
  4. Its a 2.5" drive. i have double checked by comparing the HDD from the netbook with the vertex 2 in my desktop.
  5. I just ordered a vertex 2 and a 2gb stick of ram so my atom netbook will be pimping. I will let you know how it goes and if it was worth the $220 (aus$) for the upgrade.
  6. I'm sorry, but WHY would you spend money on a SSD when your CPU is probably a bottle neck in most cases?

If you wanted more battery life, you are probably better off getting 2nd battery for that eMachine netbook. A current gen 7200rpm drive would have probably fixed your boot up speed issue (Also, are you sure this is not due to the CPU?).
  7. i got the vertex 2 in the netbook now and its superfast, boot up times are tiny, i can get browsing in less than a min after pressing the power button. Got corel draw on it too and it works well. To be honest i am over the moon with the performance i am getting. i heard all sorts of reports about how slow these netbooks were but a good ssd, 2gb ram and windows 7 ultimate has made my netbook fantastic to take about with my when i am on the road.
  8. gordonaus said:
    i got the vertex 2 in the netbook now and its superfast, boot up times are tiny, i can get browsing in less than a min after pressing the power button. Got corel draw on it too and it works well. To be honest i am over the moon with the performance i am getting. i heard all sorts of reports about how slow these netbooks were but a good ssd, 2gb ram and windows 7 ultimate has made my netbook fantastic to take about with my when i am on the road.

Are you serious?? I can't stand how slow my i3 laptop is and that's faster than that Atom! I guess it depends on what you are doing.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD OCZ Vertex Netbooks Storage