Ssd in a netbook (OCZ vertex 2 or ocz onyx)

gordonaus

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Hi,

I just got a new netbook, an em350 n450 1.66ghz. It came with a 160gb 5200rpm hard drive and i was thinking of swapping that out and putting in either a 62gb vertex 2 or a 32gb onyx (both ocz). My question is will there be much difference in speed considering the slow processor. the onyx is $80 and the vertex is $160 (Aus $). I am not that concerned about the amount of storage as i will mainly be using it for uni and not filling it up with music and vid's etc.... Mainly i am looking for faster boot up times and better battery consumption.

I have a vertex 2 in my desktop at home and its AMAZING. but will a netbook perform any better with the slower read and write times between these models?

jrocks84

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
Just a thing to note: many netbooks use 1.8" hard drives. That means you'll have to get SSD's in that form factor if that's what your netbook uses. I tried looking around on the web to see which form factor it uses, but the sites I visited didn't list it.

I'm sorry, but WHY would you spend money on a SSD when your CPU is probably a bottle neck in most cases?

If you wanted more battery life, you are probably better off getting 2nd battery for that eMachine netbook. A current gen 7200rpm drive would have probably fixed your boot up speed issue (Also, are you sure this is not due to the CPU?).

gordonaus

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
i got the vertex 2 in the netbook now and its superfast, boot up times are tiny, i can get browsing in less than a min after pressing the power button. Got corel draw on it too and it works well. To be honest i am over the moon with the performance i am getting. i heard all sorts of reports about how slow these netbooks were but a good ssd, 2gb ram and windows 7 ultimate has made my netbook fantastic to take about with my when i am on the road.

Are you serious?? I can't stand how slow my i3 laptop is and that's faster than that Atom! I guess it depends on what you are doing.