To whom it may concern

Solution
With stainless, my understanding is that it isn't the steel that you have to worry about (since it is plated from the manufacturer) but rather with the welds and the filler metal being used for them. If you use a lesser quality metal than stainless wire for welding (or soldering as traditional radiators are constructed) then yes, you could potentially run into issues.

However, it remains to be seen exactly how they are constructed and of what materials in the joints. Stainless steel is used in surgical instruments and other high-quality components all over the world for good reason: non-reactivity to most common corrosives.

Since galvanic corrosion has been a major concern in watercooling loops for years, I highly doubt that a...

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Bummer that it's through that forum and not directly from Feser. However, that being said, i'd still love to see some reviews and benchmarks from Skinnee. I think he's hinted at actually having a couple in his possession, but I think he is bound by NDA from posting any info until release date.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I just want to see some real data. There is so much speculation as to how well these will perform and what cost will be. From the hype, they supposedly outperform normal rads 3:1, but again...all speculation. I've seen a few minor details as to how many channels the rads run and the flow-rates, so very curious to see real-world result data.

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Stainless steel? I can understand wanting to get away from soldering, what with the EU having to comply with RHOS...but why introduce galvanic corrosion and requiring folks to use inhibitors in their cooling loops? I don't care how stainless the steel is, it will still oxidize-reduce with the copper in your loop using your fluid as the medium, like a battery, and the precipitates will end up in your loop, most likely as a sludge.

But...if it honestly gives 3x performance, I might look at it. I'm not sold that round tubes are better than flat for heat dissipation, though, unless they are inducing turbulence. Laminar flow would have the water on the edges cooled, while the water flowing in the middle of the tube remains uncooled. With flat tubes, that uncooled portion is small, while with round tubes, it is much bigger. By adding turbulence, you force the water away from laminar flow and more water meets the edges. To do this, though, you have to introduce impingement, which means you need more head pressure from your pump, which dumps more heat into the loop.

It will be interesting to see some real test data for this new product. And we won't know any real-world results from galvanic corrosion testing until it's been in use for a while. Age-testing on a product this new...yep, hate to be the consumer who does this for the company. But, if the corrosion is very slow, then flushing your loop every six months might be enough to save it, along with inhibitors. We'll see.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
With stainless, my understanding is that it isn't the steel that you have to worry about (since it is plated from the manufacturer) but rather with the welds and the filler metal being used for them. If you use a lesser quality metal than stainless wire for welding (or soldering as traditional radiators are constructed) then yes, you could potentially run into issues.

However, it remains to be seen exactly how they are constructed and of what materials in the joints. Stainless steel is used in surgical instruments and other high-quality components all over the world for good reason: non-reactivity to most common corrosives.

Since galvanic corrosion has been a major concern in watercooling loops for years, I highly doubt that a company like Feser would fail to incorporate safeguards to prevent this.

As for the internal design and the flat vs. round tubes, that also remains to be seen as to the end result and design. You could implement a golf-ball 'dimple' design and increase surface area dramatically and allow increased coolant flow INSIDE the tubing while allowing minimal airflow OUTSIDE with the proposed fin designs. Again, until we see some reviews, tear-downs and real world data, it's all speculation.

Solution

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Had a long talk with a doctorate chemist, and his opinion about the galvanic corrosion is such that, yes, it will occur, but it would take about 10 years before you saw anything since the metals do not have a great affinity to each other. Depending on the SS alloy, it could be either the cathode or the anode. Either way, the reaction is so slow that it can be countered by inhibitors and flushing your loop at least once a year without any real damage.

Still waiting to see some actual testing data. That would be most telling whether it is good for the money.