Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Best gaming rig available?

Last response: in Systems
March 24, 2009 12:48:02 AM

well, i have been advised to forget building a super computer, and build multiple small systems.
so, what are your recommendations for me to use?

motherboard?

i-7?
i-7 extreme?

graphics card?

vista?
xp?

all the other goodies i can add?

this rig is only for gaming,

thanks for the help

More about : gaming rig

March 24, 2009 1:03:16 AM

ok then, i want to put the computer together by next January.

i have an unlimited budget.

i do not know anything about the latest systems, thats y i am asking here.

and overclocking? well, doesnt that run down the computer slightly faster?

i do want as much ram as possible, as i run alot of graphically intensive programs.

and i would like the best graphics card out there, preferably 2 in my setup.
Related resources
March 24, 2009 1:16:06 AM

effluo said:
ok then, i want to put the computer together by next January.

i have an unlimited budget.

i do not know anything about the latest systems, thats y i am asking here.

and overclocking? well, doesnt that run down the computer slightly faster?

i do want as much ram as possible, as i run alot of graphically intensive programs.

and i would like the best graphics card out there, preferably 2 in my setup.

There is no point in spec'ing out a build if you won't be able to do this until January. Do not buy the system in parts, buy it all at once, so you get the lowest price. Technology changes very fast, and by January the scene will be very different. Today's high end system will be kinda mid-high range in january. A $5000 system today will cost $3000 then.
March 24, 2009 4:11:18 AM

ok.... i never said price was a problem....

i wanted to know what i should be looking for in a top of the line gaming rig.

so, what are your recommendations for me to use?

motherboard?

i-7?
i-7 extreme?

graphics card?

vista?
xp?

all the other goodies i can add?

specs pls, not price tags
a b 4 Gaming
March 25, 2009 2:24:26 AM

The Fastest CPU you can afford.
The Best GPU you can afford.
And good parts for the rest of the system.
March 25, 2009 7:07:48 AM

thats the problem... what are the 'best' available?

i have 15k set aside to make this setup as perfect (including dual monitors and sound system) a rig as i can get.

so... what is that to be? 5 years ago i could just buy the most expensive system and get probably the best available.... now there is too much, so i am asking u guys.
a b 4 Gaming
March 25, 2009 7:44:58 AM

First of all, enough stuff is coming out between now and next January to make any current build useless (at least one full new generation of video cards, including Intel's Larrabee, possibly 32nm CPUs with up to 6 cores, faster, higher capacity DDR3 sticks, etc). However, for a current build, the fastest available would be a water cooled system with an i7 965 extreme, 2 GTX 295s (possibly 3 GTX 285s would be faster - either would be incredible), 12 gigs of really fast RAM, something like an Asus Rampage II Extreme mobo, a 30" monitor, and some really nice speakers. Even with that, I don't see a reasonable way to hit 15k, unless you blew a LOT on the speakers (which you could easily do, no doubt).

Realistically, though, you'd be better off getting a (still very high end) 2-4k system, and saving the extra. In a year or two, when the system starts to slow down, spend some of that money remaining for upgrades. Repeat cycle. This method will give you far better value, and also play anything you throw at it for quite a bit longer.
a b 4 Gaming
March 25, 2009 12:44:03 PM

effluo said:
i have 15k set aside to make this setup ... perfect
It makes no sense to spend two months pay on a computer. The ROI is about zero.

cjl's advice is sound. Here is a "Killer Gaming Rig" from just 10 months ago.
About the only thing on that list that would still be a recommendation is Windows Vista - and even THAT will change in the next six months.

effluo said:
5 years ago i could just buy the most expensive system and get probably the best available....
Actually, you can still do that. There are LESS choices than there were 5 years ago as so many of the Boutique high performance PC builders have gone out of business or been gobbled up by larger companies (Alienware by Dell, Vodoo by HP, etc)
But you can still visit the Alienware, Falcon Northwest, MainGear and Vodoo websites to get an idea what the latest and greatest is right now.
You can also hop on some of the websites like CyberPower PC and do a "virtual build" picking parts from what they offer. You can google up the specs & reviews on the parts.

March 25, 2009 11:48:08 PM

My point was that if you want to build an extreme gaming system, do it all at once when you are ready so that you get all the best hardware that is out at that time. Doing it over a time span of several months is a bad idea. In January new better GPU's will be out, new CPU's, likely a new chipset, faster ram, and likely better cooling solutions as well. There is always going to be a bigger badder system available just around the corner.

Here would be my version of today's Extreme gaming system, no price tag attached:
2x Dell 30" LCD Displays
3x GTX 285's
Intel i7 965 Extreme Edition
EVGA x58 Classified Motherboard
12gb 2000mhz Corsair Dominator GT Ram
2x Intel X25-E Extreme 64GB SSD's in Raid 0
2 WD Caviar Black 1TB drives in Raid 1
Cooler Master Aquagate Max Liquid cooling
Swiftech MCR320-QP Quiet Power Radiator
Swiftech Apogee GTZ with LGA-1366 Bracket CPU Block
COOLER MASTER Stacker 830 Evolution
PC Power & Cooling T12W 1200W PSU
Vista Ultimate 64

March 26, 2009 7:35:51 PM

thanks alot. i have been looking for some good specs for a while now. this will help alot. it wasnt that i was going to buy the items over time, i want it finished before january. i wanted some good info, and i dint know how long it would take to get replys back

one more question tho... a friend put together a computer about 12 or so years ago. he customized his motherboard and had 4 cpus in it, was the fastest computer i had seen at the time. an original 'quad core'.
(he worked at compaq in texas at the time)

is it possible today?
March 26, 2009 7:58:08 PM

effluo if youve got that much dosh to spare, i wouldnt even bother considering a homebuild. get yourself off down to the alienware site (or alike) and price up the very best system with best add ons. i just did on alienware and it came to 6k which is still way under your budget, but yet the best bang for your buck...
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
September 22, 2009 11:24:03 AM

Having just purchased an Alienware system...I've sent it back to them...why?

You pay an inflated price for Alienware, I knew this before puchasing, but I didn't mind because according to there blurb. all systems are built by there engineers as if they were there own.

I personalised the setup and looked forward to receiving it.

After ordering, I got an email saying there would be a delay (2 weeks) due to short stock, when it did arrive I was supprised at just how big the case was, about 8" longer than a normal desktop mini-tower, and 2" wider.

Very nice to look at. Switched it on and found I had to complete the OS installation, not a problem but when it had completed I found the firewall would not come on and Windows Updates would not work either with error 8024402f reported. Did a quick google and it seemed to suggest a corrupt OS install. I rang Alienware and was told to "respawn" the system to factory default, which I did, it came back exactly the same.

My conclusion, the system had not been tested or completed to my specification as per my order, they suggested I install the OS from the DVD, sorry not interested, if I wanted to do that I would have purchased the bits and made it myself.

So I returned it, which took almost a week to get an RMA number out of them. Wouldn't recommend them to anyone, customer care isn't all that.
September 22, 2009 1:10:17 PM

I would have to agree with alot of members on this page.I made mistakes on building my first pc,That I have not got done yet.But my problem was that our familey poor.If I went out and got a new system I would not of had the money to buy it.So I had to buy one part at a time.And have made mistakes with the parts I have order.But lucky I found this website.And am very glad that I did.So listen to these ppl cause they sure know what there doing.Buy every thing at one time if you can.
February 5, 2010 4:01:44 PM

Straight to it:

Motherboard: EVGA x58 classified 3-way SLI
Case: Corsair 800D Osidian
CPU: Intel core i7 975 Extreme Edition
GPU: 2x ATI Radeon HD 5970
RAM: 12gb of Corsair dominator GT 1866MHz
Sound card: X-Fi titanium fatal1ty champion
Primary Harddrive: Corsair 256gb SSD
Secondary Harddrive: Seagate Barracuda 1,5tb (for storage)
CPU cooling: Corsair H50
Optical Drive(s): 2x LG Blu-Ray/HD-DVD writer
PSU: Corsair HX1000 watt
NPU: Killer xeno pro

(these components all fit)
February 8, 2010 11:36:24 AM

Here Is My Gaming Rig Suggestion And You Can Buy Them From www.techbuy.com.au.
01:Antec Twelve Hundred Full Tower Gaming Case $266.20
02:Corsair HX1000W Power Supply $345.35
03:EVGA X58 3-Way SLI Classified Motherboard $627.45
04:Intel Core i7 975 Extreme Edition Quad Core $1,299.10
05:Corsair 6GB (3 x 2GB) x2=12GB 1866MHz DDR3 Memory Ram (Comes With Free Fan Otherwise Get Number 12) $978.10
06:Western Digital 2000GB 7200rpm 32MB Cache Hard Drive Cavier Black $415.05
07:Sony BWU300S Internal Blu-Ray Optical Drive $501
08:EVGA GeForce GTX 285 x2 For Quad Video Cards Classified Edition To Match With The Motherboard $1315.10
09:Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro Sound Card $365.05
10:Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate-DVD,64-Bit,OEM $255
11:Corsair CWCH50-1 Cooling Hydro Series H50 CPU Cooler To Cool The CPU From Over Heating $133
12:Corsair Dominator Airflow Fan (Up To 6 Memory Modules) To Cool The Memory Cards From Over Heating $52.45
13:Vantec MP100 LCD Panel Card Reader It Reads The Temperature,Fans And Prevents Over Heating As Well $69.30
14:Vantec Cable Sleeving Kit To Keep The System Tidy And Improve Air Flow $15.95
That Brings To A Total Of $6,638.10.
Other Than That Folks Is To Get Alienware From www.dell.com.au And they can Sell You A Computer Up To $10K Or More.But For Me I Think,This Is Close Enough.You Can Have 2 Times EVGA GeForce GTX 295 CO-OP FTW Instead Of The 285 Which I Put Down On The List,But The Techbuy Company Hasn't Got Any In Stock And Also They Don't Have EVGA Killer Xeno Pro Either Which I Would Reccommend To Add As Well.The Reason I Got The Nvidia GeForce On It Is Because If You Have A Compatible HD LCD Monitor Such As Samsung 22" Screen You Can Buy The 3D Glasses To Play Games And Movies In 3D Version.Cool Eh!.It Is Not Compatible With Ati Radeon Graphics Cards.Make Sure You Add Warranty And get The Company Run And Test The Computer As Well,It May Cost You Extra And Also Get Security Software For Your Computer Such as Trend Micro To Prevents Any Dangers to the Computer.Keep The System Clean And Scan The System Every Now And Then For Updates.If You Want Very Fast System And Maxed Out 3D Mark And 3D Vantage,It Is Based On Video Cards,Processor (CPU) And Memory Cards In DDR3 Form.And In Most Cases The Motherborad As Well.Most Important Too,Is to Keep Your Computer Cool With Out Over Heating,Because It Can Do You Damage To the System.You Can Overclock The System But I suggest That Technician Should Do that Just Incase.So Good Luck,Happy Hunting And Go Extreme Gaming.
February 12, 2010 2:56:16 PM

I'm reading this and b/c also in the market for an extreme rig. Good systmes both Trialhak and EvilEye. I have my eye on the ABS Canyon 695 case though (this is the Lian Li Tyr PC-x2000 if you're not US based). I love the sheer monolith size of this case, but not sure if my Thermaltake 1100W will fit, also heard problems installing WD Raptors and SSDs into this case. Do you guys know anything about this?
February 12, 2010 8:53:29 PM

CPU: Intel core i7 975 extreme
Motherboard: asus p6x58d
GPU: 2x 5970
RAM: 2xMushkin Enhanced Redline 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 998691
HDD: 2x x25m g2 160gb (320gb) 1tb samsung spinpoint f3 (if needed)
CPU cooling: Noctua nh-d14
Optical drive: 2x blu-ray drives
NPU: Killer Xeno pro
PSU: antec cp-1000w
case: antec 1200

This leaves lots of room for tri monitor setup and a nice speaker system, and/or water cooling.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
August 1, 2010 2:50:45 AM

Case: Build a custom mountain mods case, blow like, i dunno, 1.5K
CPU: Dual intel xeon x5680 processors
Motherboard: evga sr-2
GPU: 4-way sli w/evga or zotac GPUs
Memory: (Corsair 24GB dominator 1600s,)2
Hard Drives: Ocz 1 tb ssd
Power Supply: corsair ax1200
Monitor: Dual LaCie 30" LCD monitors
Speakers: M-Audio is hi-tech, u should choose how over the top u wanna go.

Blow like, 3k on the water cooling system. Bitspower, EK, and xspc are my personal favorites.

anything else, spend it on some energy drinks :lol: 
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
August 1, 2010 11:45:33 PM

Since person is asking for best products for best gaming PC, I will give what my friend has found for me.

CPC --- 2 Xeon X5680 overclocked to 4GHz ----- about 3300
Ram 24 GB Corsair Dominator DDR3/1600 about 1300
Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
Graphics 3 or 4 EVGA GTX 480 Superclocked (not sure anything would scale to 4 GPUs so not sure to have more than 3 GPUs)
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Thermaltake Powerexpress 450W
Solid State Drives 2 OCZ Vertex 2 200GB
Hard Drives 2 Western Digital 2TB Caviar Black
Optical Drive Plextor B940SA
Sound Card Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Case Mountain Mods U2-UFO
Cooling Danger Den Custom Liquid Cooling
- 2 MC-TDX Blocks for the Xeons
- 3 DD-GTX480 Blocks for GPUs
- Rad Resevior
- DDC 3.25 pump
- Feser Red Coolant
- 3 Hardware Labs SR-1 Series Radiators
Bezels MNPCTech
Keyboard Microsoft X6
Mouse Mad Catz R.A.T. 7
Fan Bay NZXT Sentry LX
Monitor 3 HP ZR30w
OS Windows 7 Ultimate

All of this would of course be built by person requesting the best PC
pricetag about 15,700
a b 4 Gaming
August 1, 2010 11:52:43 PM

You two do realize that you just posted in a thread that has been dead for the last 5 months.

Mods please close
a b 4 Gaming
August 2, 2010 12:16:51 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!