Some issues with my radeon 4890 card...

replicat0r

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
i got the my new xfx 4890 card..

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4545359&CatId=3669

i just installed it...today.

when i turned it on.

it REALLY REALLY loud.. for about 5 second.

then it quiet down afterwards...

i goto speed fan . and when i had the geforce 6800s. it show the GPU temp.

now all i have is cpu, hd and TEMP1 temp2 temp3.

i donno which is the gpu tmep..

is there any diagonstic tool for me to see if there is anything wrong with this thing

o yea.. here are my setup

gigabyte ma790-ud4p
phenom II x4 940
4g Ram
1tb black cavier
dvd burner

replicat0r

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
the gigabyte does have it.. called easy saver. but for some reason. it kept tellin me that the current bios version doesnt support it. but i upgraded to the latest bios...

When the GPU fan is at 100% (which some do at startup) they are very loud.

GPU-Z will give you fan speed and GPU temperature(s).

In Catalyst Control Center there is an option for fan control (you have to go into the OC section and unlock the card).

You can also try Hardware Monitor for full system temps, or PC Wizard for even more info.

My 4850 idled at 60-70C stock! With the fan at 50% or so, it is now down around 40C. I think these cards were designed for high heat, but I don't feel comfortable with that high of temps.

replicat0r

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
In the overdrive part of the Catalyst control centre, best thing to do is to creat profiles with gaming and desktop settings.

Oh and coming from 6800's, this must be one hell of an upgrade!!!!

lol.

the 6800 wasnt even mine.
when i bought the parts for this computer, the 4890 was comin out in 2 weeks.
so i was told that there will be a price drop on 4870.... but there wasnt... much anyways.

the mobo i have doesnt have a intergrated gfx card. without a card i cant display anything. and i burrowed the 6800gs from my freind. waitin for that price drop.

couple days ago. Tigerdirect had a price error for 4890. @ 209 After Mir($20) CND.... LOL

the price for 4870 in canada is around 260 and 4890 is 350.. so i lucked out with one of the csr. and got the 4890 for 229.

XD it even came with tom clancy HAWX.

couldnt be happier

G

"couple days ago. Tigerdirect had a price error for 4890. @ 209 After Mir($20) CND.... LOL "

no.. the price error made it 229 after MIR... there's no way you got it for 209 after MIR :O

are you SURE?

also, i thought tigerdirect doesn't honour price errors

replicat0r

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
i tried to change it in the catalyst control centre...
but it didnt work. i changed it to 50%..100%, 20% and it stayed at 24-25...

"couple days ago. Tigerdirect had a price error for 4890. @ 209 After Mir($20) CND.... LOL "

no.. the price error made it 229 after MIR... there's no way you got it for 209 after MIR :O

are you SURE?

also, i thought tigerdirect doesn't honour price errors

they dont.

it states on thier website.

thats why i lucked out.

hehesra.jpg

Really, so you unlocked the card, set it to 50%, hit apply and it did nothing?!? I guess XFX isn't fully behind ATI after all. What does it do at load? I thought they improved the auto setting some that it would speed up some as it got hot. Maybe that is sufficient.

chef7734

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

XFX will stand behind any of their product. If it truly is not functioning properly hen they will replace the card. Give them a call and they can walk you through a few trouble shooting steps. I personally think it is user error. Probably did not hit apply after changing the fan speeds, but if I am wrong give them a call.