Sign in with
Your question

Problems Booting with Seagate Barracuda

Last response: in Storage
October 16, 2010 7:35:20 PM

I recently just built a new rig (see below) and it has given me nothing but trouble. I have not been able to get it to boot with anything other than a 20gb IDE hard drive.

I originally had a western digital 500gb SATA hard drive, though whenever I turned on the computer it said "windows failed to start. A recent hardware change etc...". I tried reformatting it and reinstalling windows, but it did not work at all. I tried using a 20 gb MAXTOR IDE hard drive and installed windows and what do you know? it boots perfectly. So I ordered a 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 and used the 20gb for 3 days until the new one came.

When I installed windows on my hard drive it would do the exact same thing as the 500gb would. I have run Seatools on the barracuda using a long test and it detected no problems. As you could imagine, I was very frustrated.

Does anyone have any idea on how I could possibly fix this problem? Is it my hard drive? Do i need to configure something in the BIOS? The drive was detected in the BIOS fine, I don't know what else I would need to do. Is is a motherboard problem?

Anything to help me fix this problem would be very much appreciated. I have been messing with this new rig for much too long. :( 

CPU
i7 950

Motherboard
Gigabyte X58A UD3R

Memory
3 x 2GB DDR3 1600

Graphics Card
XFX Radeon HD 4850

Hard Drive
Western Digital 500GB Caviar Blue
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB

Sound Card
Onboard

Power Supply
OCZ GameXstream 850w

Case
NZXT GAMMA

CPU cooling
Zerotherm Core92

OS
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Monitor
24" Acer 1080p
October 18, 2010 8:49:56 PM

I was hoping for more of a response considering the size of this community.. 50 views without a response is making me lose some faith... :( 

Still looking for help or possible solutions. :(  Thank you.
m
l
October 28, 2010 2:31:53 AM

windows failed to start. A recent hardware change etc...?

is there anything else to this like error code.. does it say anythign like /boot/something.. maybe some more detail on the error screen you are getting and if it is the exact same with both big hard drives.
m
l
!