Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Will my psu suffice

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 16, 2009 3:03:59 AM

my current psu is
LITEON model no PS-6351-2

DC OUTPUT 350W
INPUT 100-127v /10A 50 - 60 Hz
200-240v /5A 50 - 60 Hz

OUTPUT +5v /18A MAX
+5v /2A MAX

+12VB /18A MAX
-12V /0.8 MAX

THE 5V AUXILARY OUPUT IS 160W

i would like to upgrade to a

EVGA 512-P3-N873-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
Model #:512-P3-N873-AR
will this work?

I was going to use
Athena Power 6" PCIE 6 pin "Y" Split to Two PCIE 2.0 8(6+2) pin Cable Model CABLE-YPCIE628 - Retail
Model #:CABLE-YPCIE628
to get the right pcie connectors.

Thanks for the advise.

-Randy

More about : psu suffice

a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2009 3:15:40 AM

Most likely not. Your card can handle a 4670 or 9600GT.
It might be able to handle a 8800GT/9800GT or 4830
April 16, 2009 3:35:08 AM

No, I don't think it'll work for that 9800GTX+, maybe for a 9600GSO/GT. You really need to upgrade the PSU for any upgrading.
Related resources
April 16, 2009 5:28:11 AM

I have decided a EVGA 512-P3-1150-TR GeForce GTS 250 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
Model #:512-P3-1150-TR
Item #:N82E16814130468 instead.
Do you think this card will work with it?
April 16, 2009 5:34:22 AM

Yes, it'll be fine. Those GTS250's draw little less power than a regular 9800GTX+, but you might be losing some performance.
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2009 5:36:27 AM

The GTS250 is basically just a slightly smaller version of the 98800GTX/9800GTX+ and all the versions still needs around 20amps on 12v rails I believe...
April 16, 2009 5:59:00 AM

Only 20amps? I'd think it be more lol.
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2009 6:30:37 AM

AKM880 said:
Only 20amps? I'd think it be more lol.


Wait, but if you thought it needed more than 20amps, why did you give the green light for the GTS250 when he only has 18amps on 12v rails?

*Btw, I think it needs ~24 amps actually
April 16, 2009 6:46:29 AM

Hi,

Since I have the Same question let me add it to this thread.

I have a 4 yr old PSU: Antec Neopower 480w

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/strong-showing,987-...

Looking at these 2 VC's:

Quote:
BFG GeForce 9800 GT Video Card - 512MB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0 [$119.99]
(2) Dual Link DVI, HDTV, VGA Support
*Power Requirement: 400-Watt PSU (with 12V current rating of 26A), One 6-pin PCIe Power Connector

Sapphire Radeon HD 3870 Video Card - 512MB GDDR4, PCI Express 2.0, [$119.99]
CrossFireX Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, Full 1080p Support
*Power Requirement:450Watt or greater power supply with 30Amps on 12 volt with 2x4 power connector recommanded.


PS: Which VC would you recommend for Gaming ?
April 16, 2009 7:37:45 AM

@ BlueScreenDeath, he has 2 12V rails with 18A on each not one........
April 16, 2009 11:25:16 AM

Quote:
@ BlueScreenDeath, he has 2 12V rails with 18A on each not one........


Hi,

Please explain, I need to learn how to read the Spec's for this PSU.

Specifications




April 18, 2009 3:22:44 AM

mobiusrm said:
my current psu is
LITEON model no PS-6351-2

DC OUTPUT 350W
INPUT 100-127v /10A 50 - 60 Hz
200-240v /5A 50 - 60 Hz

OUTPUT +5v /18A MAX
+5v /2A MAX

+12VB /18A MAX
-12V /0.8 MAX

THE 5V AUXILARY OUPUT IS 160W

i would like to upgrade to a

EVGA 512-P3-N873-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
Model #:512-P3-N873-AR
will this work?

I was going to use
Athena Power 6" PCIE 6 pin "Y" Split to Two PCIE 2.0 8(6+2) pin Cable Model CABLE-YPCIE628 - Retail
Model #:CABLE-YPCIE628
to get the right pcie connectors.

Thanks for the advise.

-Randy


That PSU is not sufficient. I would recommend a good quality 400W+ such as Antec Earthwatts or Corsair.
April 18, 2009 3:25:40 AM

AKM880 said:
@ BlueScreenDeath, he has 2 12V rails with 18A on each not one........


No, there is only one 12V rail on that PSU.
a b U Graphics card
April 18, 2009 8:41:18 AM

Jim, your power supply should support either of those cards just fine. I say should because as they age, the do lose some power.

Animal, AKM880 was referring to Jim's power supply, not mobuisrm's.
April 18, 2009 4:10:22 PM

mobiusrm said:
I have decided a EVGA 512-P3-1150-TR GeForce GTS 250 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
Model #:512-P3-1150-TR
Item #:N82E16814130468 instead.
Do you think this card will work with it?


What are the rest of your specs?
April 18, 2009 4:58:44 PM

A 9800 GTX/GTX+ (and consequently, a GTS 250) really doesn't pull more than 11 amps at most.

A 3870 doesn't use more than 8 amps.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-radeon-powe...

GPU manufacturers grossly exaggerate how much power is needed. They say they 3870 needs 30 amps to work correctly, when in reality the only setups that need that much power are things like high end 3-way and 4-way sli/crossfire.
!