akara083

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
hey guys, I recently got a "Windows (7) detects a hard disk problem" error that keeps popping up. I did some research and found out that it was a SMART failure on my C: drive, specifically the "reallocated sector count" parameter. Seatools told me that. The results on the Seagate 7200.12 500gb from HDtune can be seen below.

Now, I have another internal drive that I have backed up everything onto just to be safe. I did a Windows disk check and the results came up with no errors, and I also did a HDtune error check and all the sectors were fine (green).

Can somebody explain exactly whats wrong with my HD? Will it eventually crap out on me?

Do I have to send this HD back for a replacement? It's still under the 3yr warranty so I hope they give me a new one, the question is how long will it take to get?

Thanks!

Solution
Since it is only one bad sector the drive will probably work for many years without any problems, but I would go ahead and get it replaced under warranty if you have the option.
Think of sectors as sections of the HDD where the information is stored. There are hundreds of thousands if not millions of sectors on a HDD so 1 bad sector probably wont be a problem. The bad sector is usually ignored once found and re-mapped to a good sector, so the bad sector wont be used.
I currently have a HDD that has several bad sectors and I have never had a problem with it for about 3 years now.
Replace it under warranty and dont worry about it, just back up what ever you can until you can get the new one.

d1rtyju1c3

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
Since it is only one bad sector the drive will probably work for many years without any problems, but I would go ahead and get it replaced under warranty if you have the option.
Think of sectors as sections of the HDD where the information is stored. There are hundreds of thousands if not millions of sectors on a HDD so 1 bad sector probably wont be a problem. The bad sector is usually ignored once found and re-mapped to a good sector, so the bad sector wont be used.
I currently have a HDD that has several bad sectors and I have never had a problem with it for about 3 years now.
Replace it under warranty and dont worry about it, just back up what ever you can until you can get the new one.

Solution

akara083

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Hi, I have another question for anybody out there!

I used Seatools DOS mode to try and fix/recover my HD. The HD failed in the SMART test and the short test BUT it PASSED the long test?

I'm kind of confused now since the long test is the important test.