Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SMART error, help!

Last response: in Storage
October 16, 2010 9:01:52 PM

hey guys, I recently got a "Windows (7) detects a hard disk problem" error that keeps popping up. I did some research and found out that it was a SMART failure on my C: drive, specifically the "reallocated sector count" parameter. Seatools told me that. The results on the Seagate 7200.12 500gb from HDtune can be seen below.

Now, I have another internal drive that I have backed up everything onto just to be safe. I did a Windows disk check and the results came up with no errors, and I also did a HDtune error check and all the sectors were fine (green).

Can somebody explain exactly whats wrong with my HD? Will it eventually crap out on me?

Do I have to send this HD back for a replacement? It's still under the 3yr warranty so I hope they give me a new one, the question is how long will it take to get?

Thanks!

More about : smart error

Best solution

October 16, 2010 10:30:09 PM

Since it is only one bad sector the drive will probably work for many years without any problems, but I would go ahead and get it replaced under warranty if you have the option.
Think of sectors as sections of the HDD where the information is stored. There are hundreds of thousands if not millions of sectors on a HDD so 1 bad sector probably wont be a problem. The bad sector is usually ignored once found and re-mapped to a good sector, so the bad sector wont be used.
I currently have a HDD that has several bad sectors and I have never had a problem with it for about 3 years now.
Replace it under warranty and dont worry about it, just back up what ever you can until you can get the new one.
October 16, 2010 10:48:29 PM

Is it only 1 sector thats bad? or is it 4095 sectors?

HDtune says "Number of damaged sectors which have been replaced: 4095"

Related resources
October 16, 2010 11:07:31 PM

Sorry I read it wrong it is 4095.
So yes make sure you replace the Drive, but you shouldnt have any major problem. Back your stuff up just in case.
October 16, 2010 11:15:14 PM

Best answer selected by akara083.
October 16, 2010 11:21:01 PM

thanks!

One last thing, A format of the hard drive won't fix my problems will it? Set all the sectors back to zero?
October 16, 2010 11:30:30 PM

No. Sorry, once a sector is bad it is bad.
There is a program called spinrite that is suppose to repair sectors but I have never had any luck with it.
http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

It is better to just get a new HDD.
Good luck and thanks for the BA
October 17, 2010 4:18:07 PM

Hi, I have another question for anybody out there!

I used Seatools DOS mode to try and fix/recover my HD. The HD failed in the SMART test and the short test BUT it PASSED the long test?

I'm kind of confused now since the long test is the important test.
October 17, 2010 4:26:01 PM

I am not sure about that. It could have something to do with the short test testing S.M.A.R.T and the long test just runs a surface scan but Im not sure.
!