Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Bios version for Athlon II X2 245 Regor on Gigabyte GA-MA785G-UD3H

Last response: in Motherboards
September 9, 2009 12:27:05 AM

Hey All,

I have emailed Gigabyte, with no response yet, I just wanted to know the BIOS version for the new Athlon II X2 245 Regor. I guess that they have not had a chance to update the CPU support list for the GA-MA785G-UD3H motherboard. I bought these as a combo from eggy. The 215 list BIOS F3, and the 250 lists FI. I have not recieved the parts yet, just excited about this build and I am trying to research until the goods arrive. Anyone build with the CPU/MB combo? Thanks in advance.

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
September 9, 2009 2:44:43 AM

I know the 250 has been supported on my Gigabyte board for a while, so regardless of the BIOS that ships on the board, yours should at least start up. From there, I would download and update to the newest BIOS. Don't worry about it. Even if it is not for whatever reason supported yet, I have run my FX-60 on a board that doesn't even recognize it for years and it has always run great. I have a feeling though for your case it was really just an oversight on updating the page. The latest BIOS is so new, it should support your CPU.
September 9, 2009 3:40:33 AM

Thanks for the reassurance. It's been about two years since I have built a system, that I'm probably over anxious. (ya think?) I have been a novice intel builder, but I thought I would try an AMD budget system this time around.

Antec storm scout case
Athlon II X2 245 Regor
Gigabyte GA-MA785G-UD3H Motherboard
8 GB OCZ Blade 800 mhz RAM
WD 500 GB Black 3 gb/s sata drive
2- Sony/optiarc 24x DVD sata
BFG 900 watt PS
Vista 64 oem (with 7 upgrade coupon)

I have a couple of "old" EVGA 8800 GT that I hope to "migrate" to this system, just to see what all the hub-bub about SLI was all about.

Thanks again for the reply.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
September 9, 2009 12:49:02 PM

You can't SLI (NVidia) on an ATI motherboard. You could do Crossfire (ATI), but not SLI.
m
l
September 9, 2009 6:13:33 PM

billbat,

Thanks for the heads up on @Bios, used it on my last build

Enermax Chakra Case
Intel e6850 @ 3.29 ghz
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
8 GB G Skils DDR2 6400
2 LG 22x DVD RW
BFG 8800 GT OC2

Didn't know any better since floppy drives have disappeared. I will use a flash drive this time (FAT 32) and Qflash. Dual BIOS sounds like a safety net, hopefully. I don't know if the nvidia cards and AMD chipset will play nice together, but that is something for the future when I am able to update the video card, and the cpu to a quad core. I have recieved all tracking numbers for the goodies of the new build, and I should have an entertaining weekend. Thanks again for your advice.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
September 10, 2009 2:58:28 PM

I don't know what to think about DualBIOS; it has saved my butt two or three times (twice, at least, due to one corrupted BIOS file, that I foolishly tried to load twice - the flasher read and confimed the checksum with the file as good, but it was actually trashed); the thing simply reverted to the as shipped BIOS two revs back... The whole thing gave me the confidence to use my 'unsupported' 9550 to flash from the shipped to the BIOS with 9550 E0 micro-code support - which saved me the trouble of repeatedly pulling the water-block and swapping in an old cheap Celeron, just to do the flash with a 'supported' CPU! So, I'm happy as a clam with the whole arrangement - but, both here and at TweakTown, I occasionally see people who have trashed boards, making them unbootable, unPOSTable, and unflashable, with few options outside of an RMA - and at least two-thirds of these have something to do with @BIOS - which leads me to wonder, just what's up with @BIOS? I mean, beyond the obvious - having an OS (and a generally kind of flakey one at that) and Inet access between you and the BIOS; why is it if you trash a load with the built in flasher, or QuickFlash, dualBIOS 'kicks in', but if an @BIOS load goes bad, it's 'bye bye board'?

This is one of the reasons that I recommend to everyone to include a floppy in every build. There is a procedure (I believe it comes from LSD over at TweakTown) called a 'blind flash' that will sometimes save these 'flat-lined' boards; it's dead simple, requiring only a floppy that's been made bootable, and auto-loads the flasher and the BIOS, but it only has a chance to work if A, you have a floppy, and B, it's somewhere in your 'boot order' before the disaster - as you won't be able to enter the BIOS to add it, after the disaster... A floppy also makes loading AHCI or RAID drivers 'dead simple', and, I'm a big fan of the <F11><F12> 'store/load parameters to/from CMOS' to make OCing easier. The 'save mechanism' will also store the parameter set to disk, which makes overclock recovery also dead simple, after a crash or a BIOS flash (which erases the 'stored' parameter sets)...

You can tell I'm also a fan of 'disaster preparedness'; I've been doing this a long time, and I had a client, back in the late eighties or early nineties actually go out of business, as they refused to listen, and swap alternating sets of backups 'off-site' - had an office fire, which 'ate' ALL their operating records systems, along with the backups! Another thing I've repeatedly seen is people doing pretty religious back-ups, never having once tested a restore - and when the time came to need 'em, found out their backups were unrecoverable. My law - "if you've never restored a backup, you don't have backups!"
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 10, 2009 3:11:13 PM

Good advice. People laugh at me when I want a floppy drive in the system, but they have purposes. Now I only use the pen drives, but a floppy is a small price to pay for peace on mind. I always do it through the BIOS method (not the windows @bios) so hopefully if something goes wrong for me dual BIOS will save me.
m
l
September 10, 2009 10:36:19 PM

Thanks for for the info billbat and EXT64,

I got half of the build today, case, fans, optical drives, ps; got everthings as far as I can go. I appreciate the great explaination about boot options/procedures, I do have an old FDD in the parts bin, but it's white in color. I could use it in a pinch (but I don't think I have any disks anymore...). I have been playing with my other system, I have bumped it from 3.29 to 3.51, and run prime 95 v25.8 x64 for 6 hours. Temps are 27c/47c. I use the F11 function as well, very handy. Thanks again for the very useful info. I am a welder by trade, and I don't have any computer twigit friends. I have to rely on the internet, for help. I made the mistake of asking the guys that drive the cute little cars, ONCE. I will check back when I have the new box up and running, or beg for assistance, if it isn't. Can't thank you guys enough.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 10, 2009 11:07:40 PM

1839917,6,476881 said:
billbat,

Thanks for the heads up on @Bios, used it on my last build

Enermax Chakra Case
Intel e6850 @ 3.29 ghz
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
8 GB G Skils DDR2 6400
2 LG 22x DVD RW
BFG 8800 GT OC2

Didn't know any better since floppy drives have disappeared. I will use a flash drive this time (FAT 32) and Qflash. Dual BIOS sounds like a safety net, hopefully. I don't know if the nvidia cards and AMD chipset will play nice together, but that is something for the future when I am able to update the video card, and the cpu to a quad core. I have recieved all tracking numbers for the goodies of the new build, and I should have an entertaining weekend. Thanks again for your advice.[/quotem

They play very well together ,,am running an 8800gt/and AMD 550BE on Gigabyte UD5P,,real nice..:) 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 10, 2009 11:45:54 PM

Yep, compatibilty wise you are set (ATI and NVidia are fine with each other). Though definitely ask if you run into any problems. Between all of us on the forums, we have personally experienced thousands of problems and would be glad to help. I know several of my recent builds have had minor to serious problems, but in the end got fixed.
m
l
September 11, 2009 4:03:43 AM

Hey dokk2 and EXT 64 I got a REALLY silly question. I have been reading over the manual for the Gigabyte GA-MA785G-UD3H motherboard, and low and behold, I ran across a "Hybrid Crossfire" feature. I don't suppose that ATI and Nvidia play so well together that I can crossfire my onboard with the spare 8800 GT that I aready have. Or am I going to have to sneek into my wife's office and swap HER 8800 gt with a X1650 from the parts bin? Think she will notice? With no research, my bet is I'm gonna have to do alot of house work to get the two 8800 gt's in the new machine. If I can "hybrid" with just one, it sure would save me some extra work around the house. :pt1cable:  Sorry guys it's just late, and this is probably not that funny.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 11, 2009 11:48:48 AM

Unfortunately no. You can only Hybrid Crossfire with the low end new (3xxx or 4xxx I believe) Radeons (crossfiring with anything higher could actually slow the system, so they don't allow it). And unfortunately too, your board is Crossfire only, so you can't SLI your 8800GTs.

Here's a a good post on the subject if you'd like to read more on multiGPU:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/245454-33-crossfire-f...
m
l
September 11, 2009 4:58:33 PM

EXT64,
thanks for the link, I did learn something, though. The only use, I can think of. is a 4 monitor array. I'm just waiting for the rumble of a big brown truck to bring me the rest of the parts. I appreciate all the knowledge you are willing to share.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 11, 2009 5:44:31 PM

Well, good luck and tell us how it goes.
m
l
September 12, 2009 7:29:16 AM

EXT64,

Posted first time. Still have some fussin' and tweekin' to do. I had to take the wife to Best Buy for a monitor to use with her netbook, monitors are the only thing I won't buy online, I hate stuck pixels. I installed a set of ram in her HP desktop, and the WEI on the memory dropped .2. It's an AMD system too. I'm thinking that her memory was unganged and when I populated the last two slots I should have changed the setting in CMOS. I can't thank you guys enough for holding my hand through this. I have learn a great deal. I'm on update 34 of 61 for vista 64. Just out of curiousity, the board had a 2x4 12V CPU power socket. Do I need to plug in both of them for the athlon II X2 (65W)? I have, but does it really need that second 12 V supply?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 12, 2009 1:40:50 PM

I have both the 8 and the 24 plugged in on mine, though like you said, it possibly isn't necessary, but I figure it is safest (spread the current load out, though it is possible for low power CPUs it doesn't even draw from that plug). So in other words, don't remove it. I believe it is necessary and I know it doesn't hurt anything.

Yeah, I agree about monitors, though I did buy my last two from newegg and fortunately they were both flawless. It is nerve racking though.

In AMD systems I think populating the last two slots may slow the ram down a hair, but I wouldn't worry about WEI. If she doesn't notice a difference (like crashes, etc) then it is fine, and if she ever exceeded the amount of ram you had before, she will definitely notice a difference now. I think (though am not certain) WEI is more about ram speed rather than quantity. You want the ram left on unganged for most common uses.

Edit: I don't know if you have read up on the difference in unganged vs ganged, but basically there are two memory controllers, each 64 bit. Ganged they are tied together into one 128 bit line. In unganged they are free to do separate tasks each at 64 bit. In the end, they turn out very close except in certain rare cases. Overall though, I heard unganged is slightly faster.

m
l
September 13, 2009 1:07:32 AM

EXT64 said:
Edit: I don't know if you have read up on the difference in unganged vs ganged, but basically there are two memory controllers, each 64 bit. Ganged they are tied together into one 128 bit line. In unganged they are free to do separate tasks each at 64 bit. In the end, they turn out very close except in certain rare cases. Overall though, I heard unganged is slightly faster.

I had read up a little on ungang/ganged, and the author seemed to think if you have all slot populated then there would be an nominal advantage ganged. but she's running 32 bit so 4 MB was all I installed.

After she saw how dusty and cramped her case was (an HP media center with the silly removable HD bay), she jumped on line and order a Cool Master Nvidia branded case and green LED fans. Looks like I'm gonna gut her HP case next week, and give that BFG 8800 GT some air to breathe and maybe it won't sound so much like a hair dryer anymone. Thanks for the heads up about gang/unganged I will make the adjustment in this new build (I set it to ganged.)
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 13, 2009 4:06:32 AM

Also peer in the fan an exhaust on the 8800GT and see if there is much dust buildup in the card itself. Is is a single slot card, or one that vents out the back? The single slot ones are very susceptible to dust buildup. They are also loud for the amount of air they move.
m
l
September 13, 2009 9:06:24 PM

EXT64 said:
Also peer in the fan an exhaust on the 8800GT and see if there is much dust buildup in the card itself. Is is a single slot card, or one that vents out the back? The single slot ones are very susceptible to dust buildup. They are also loud for the amount of air they move.

I hit everything with a can of air, including the video card. I have used riva tuner in the past, but with windows UAC it's just too big a hassle to set it up on her machine. I finally decided that BFG has a "lifetime warranty" on their cards, so I will just let it cook off, if that's what their drivers want. (Not to mention, it's her card) I have read that windows 7 is supposed to have a "friendlier" UAC, I hope. I am finally happy with new system now. I ran prime 95 for 4 hours. 1 hour shut down, and let it run all night for "break in" of the AS5 paste. CPU ID HWmonitor is reporting core temps of 25c/45c. If I run into trouble swapping cases next week, you may see a new post, Thanks again, I have never used a forum like this before, I am very greatful, I just didn't think anyone would take the time. I believe in RT(F)M, but it's nice to have some one to referee.
m
l
!