Aug 25, 2011
Cabinet specs:
AMD Athlon 64 2.0Ghz
BIOSTAR n325a-7 mobo bios
1GB DDR1 PC3200 OCZ
256MB DDR GeForce 6200
Rosewill 500watt psu
Running XP Pro SP1 OEM -> SP2

I have had this problem for as long as I've had XP using a wireless device, video card swapping failed to fix. I've gone to hardcorewear.net and they also failed to fix the problem.

COMPUTER FREEZES SLOWLY (loses functionality steadily) AND BECOMES UNRESPONSIVE AFTER WIFI ADAPTER STOPS SENDING/RECEIVING
-While downloading with many downloads & watching video
-While uploading greater than 30kbs or to multiple clients
-While watching a video (mainly, winamp & video/cam are the causes of freezes)
-Intensive operations that require mass amt of cpu (heavy games, which I don't play)

The board runs stable. Nothing wrong with CPU. Video card is new. RAM is old, test, no errors. PSU is new. Hardware runs well.

I am attempting to narrow it down to software. This problem did not happen while using Windows Server 2003.

-wifi drivers mention XP incompatibility warning before install
-video card drivers
-video codecs
-windows service pack update (I enjoy my PC speed)

I have never beaten this unless I used another OS.

Please consider looking into this,

Thank you.

Solution
Hi,
despite you having an issue with wireless you fail to mention what wireless card it is (make/model)

If windows is telling you of driver incompatibility chances are there's crap code somewhere that is causing your problem. Have you looked for XP drivers for your wifi card?
Hi,
despite you having an issue with wireless you fail to mention what wireless card it is (make/model)

If windows is telling you of driver incompatibility chances are there's crap code somewhere that is causing your problem. Have you looked for XP drivers for your wifi card?

Solution

johnny_chronic

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Thanks for your response, AntiZig. I apologize about leaving out the make/model. I suppose one could say I am merely looking for a yes or no and a direction in a nutshell.

I will either find these XP drivers or switch to another WiFi product.

Last night I tested some deduction against my computer by disconnecting from the net and watching videos offline. The computer didn't freeze. The video appears to work hand and hand only because of it's amount of CPU that is required, or possibly VM.

You've got the solution, it is the drivers, I will replace them.