OC'ed it to 3.8, some errors and a blue screen... Help if you can!

mrtoesterman

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
Hey guy, sorry I am posting a lot, it just means I need lots of help! I just figured out how to up my OC past 3.4 and with lower temps. I just want to pass this information with you guys about my specs. I also just got a Blue SCREEN when running Prime95, CoreTemp 0.99.8, CPU-Z, and Internet Explorer; the BLUE Screen is my main concern but I will include all info for better diagnostic.

***Running Prime95, 10min into it. Core#3/4 had a error, message as fallowing, (core3)FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4995227891, expected less than 0.4 and (core4) FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4. As a result of this error, those core auto stopped and 1 and 2 keep going. <~~ Anyone know what this means? and how to FIX it?

CPU Clock Ratio- 20x
QPI Clock Ratio- 32x
BCLK Frequency- 191
System Multiplier- 8.0
X.M.P- Disabled
Turbo-Disabled
C1E-Disabled
E1ST-Disabled
C2/C3-Disabled

*Advance Memory Setting

Performance Enhance- Turbo (has another Option of Extreme) (**this is the KEY for going past 3.4Ghz**)
DRAM Timing Selectable- Auto (Has other option of, Quick and Expert)

*Advance Voltage Settings

CPU VCORE- 1.120v (manual)
QPI/VTT- Auto
PCH Core- Auto
CPU PLL- Auto
DRAM- Auto

Is there anything else I have to tweak or change?

MB-Gigabyte P55A-UDA4P
CPU-i5 760
Ram- G.Skillz RipJaw 9-9-9-24 / 2BGx2 Sticks
GPU- Gigabyte GTX 470 Super OVER clock
Case- Cool MASTER Sniper w/ 3-200mm fan and 1-120mm fan
CPU Cooler- Cool IT A.L.C. (Advance Liquid Cooling) w/ Push and pull effect w/ 120mm
PSU- Anteac 750w

Solution
Dont worry m8, u didnt damage your CPU. 1.32v is pretty high but it isnt at its max voltage and 76C isnt that hot to begin with.

Its normal for an CoolIT ECO ALC-cooled CPU to get during a stress test to those temps. The max temps u should be watching out for are past the 80C threshold. If it gets to 82C then u should decrease the Vcore and lower the BCLK a little and stick under 80C after 8 hours of stress testing.

During gaming sessions u wont get past the 65C threshold for sure. U need to keep in mind u are doing 100% CPU usage stress test on that CPU and during a game the CPU gets to a max of 50% usage. And even 50% CPU usage is high for your processor given the games out there.

My advise:

1. keep the multiplier a 20x

2. keep...

Well, the system is not stable. But then, you knew that. :)

What test is failing in Prime95?

Small fft's failing indicates a problem with CPU stability. Large fft's or blend test failing indicates a problem with memory stability.

mrtoesterman

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
jsc-its failing on blend.

henydiah - im going to manually increase dram volt to 1.65 and et it retest for the night...

uppung the multiplier to 21 and decreasing the bus to 181 let it run 31min until FATAL error.... getting somewhere...

mrtoesterman

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
Haha. I wish I Knew the 60*C rule this morning... I
left vcore on auto n the volt jump to 1.312v.... BAD; temp hit a max of 76*C ... I guess I will work on the dram v in the morning, if not then, then on Monday after the holidays.

sharr

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
Dont worry m8, u didnt damage your CPU. 1.32v is pretty high but it isnt at its max voltage and 76C isnt that hot to begin with.

Its normal for an CoolIT ECO ALC-cooled CPU to get during a stress test to those temps. The max temps u should be watching out for are past the 80C threshold. If it gets to 82C then u should decrease the Vcore and lower the BCLK a little and stick under 80C after 8 hours of stress testing.

During gaming sessions u wont get past the 65C threshold for sure. U need to keep in mind u are doing 100% CPU usage stress test on that CPU and during a game the CPU gets to a max of 50% usage. And even 50% CPU usage is high for your processor given the games out there.

My advise:

1. keep the multiplier a 20x

2. keep the BCLK at 191

3. raise the Vcore to 1.25v (CPU voltage - stress test these settings and if after about two hours everything is working fine, drop the Vcore by another increment to about 1.23 or 1.24. Keep stress testing and dropping (or raising, it all depends on your CPU) the Vcore until u wont get any more BSODs (Blue Screens of DEATH:)

NOTE: IF, when running CPUz, u notice that the Vcore (CPU voltage) is lower than what u set in the BIOS, dont worry, its because of the "Vdroop". There's no point going into what "Vdroop" is. Also, IF, u manage to keep it stable at 3.8ghz with a decent enough Vcore and u think u mastered OCing, dont go for the 4ghz marker without reading more on how to do it! The 4ghz threshold requires a LOT of voltage if u dont know how to adjust the other settings (QPI, VTT, PLL, etc.) and u will find yourself at the 1.37-1.4v threshold in no time!

4. raise DRAM voltage to 1.66 (it will state that intel advises not to go past 1.65v, ignore that message, its ok at 1.66 but if u REALLY cant sleep because of it then go for 1.65 or 1.64 depending on what the motherboard allows)

Hope it helps and hope u get it working. GL and HF doing it :)

Solution

mrtoesterman

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
like what i said lastnight, i was going to test again this morning..... just because i don't want to wait untill monday, nextweek.

I upPED my vcore to 1.750v and my DRAM is @ 1.6v, now im running the P95 test.
I also changed the multiplier back to 20x and the bus was increased back to 191 making it teh same 3.8GhZ.

this is why i justified my 21x and bus 181, the freuency was getting almost to to 16000 , with the 20x + BUS 191. my Ram are to handle 16000. and that was worrying me....

sharr

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
thats very good news to hear. congrats on your (first?) stable overclock. now keep monitoring the temps and the voltage on the CPU and after 3-4 hours if everything runs smooth, u got yourself a nice overclock.

GL and HF doing it :)