ASUS M2N-SLI - 2 video cards.

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • HDTV
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 16, 2009 5:50:13 AM

Hi,

I've a ATI Radeon X1600 Pro today and I've been trying different options to get to use my HDTV
( Panasonic HDTV Plasma ) as an extended or 2nd monitor.

I tried to get a passive splitter to split the DVI signal and that didn't work. Powered splitter
is an option I am researching.

But I've ASUS M2N-SLI mother board which has two PCI Express x16 slots. Is it possible for
me to get another video card and with the DVI to HDMI cable connect my HDTV to use it as
extended monitor ?

Please advice.

Thanks.

More about : asus m2n sli video cards

April 16, 2009 6:25:45 AM

No, if you've got a ATi X1600 your out of luck, Nvidia and ATi use different connectors and technology for "SLI" or "Crosfire". Get a cheap 4550 or a 4670 they'll usually have HDMI onboard.
a c 180 U Graphics card
April 16, 2009 6:25:32 PM

I have an HD3870 and hooked up a monitor and my Sony 32" HDTV. The monitor is DVI and the HDTV uses the VGA input.

I didn't spend a lot of time, but it doesn't appear like it's even easy to use an "extended" desktop if your two screens are different ratios and/or different resolutions.

Any newer card has the hardware, I'm just not sure the software is the greatest yet.

You may wish to investigate whether NVidia or ATI currently have better solutions but either way your best bet is a single card solution as I believe SLI and Crossfire have multi-screen issues though that may have been fixed.

Again, the hardware is there but the software is still lacking slightly.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2009 6:47:30 PM

You cant use SLI but you surely can use a second video card for output. AKM880 is wrong.

The card msut use the same dirvers as the primary though (that is it will ahve to be ATI) if you use vista.

A powered splitter also wont work for anything but dirct cloning. If you want to extend you will need either:

a) a video card with 2 independant outputs compatable with your displays

or

b) A second video card in the second slot.

April 16, 2009 9:04:59 PM

To clarify on few things I missed...

OS is XP / Ubuntu at this point.

On the desktop features, I'm not sure how big of a constraint this is, but to the least I expect to access the desktop from the PC monitor OR HDTV. If this is just cloning, that's fine. If I can't do cloning but the HDTV would act more of an 2nd-extended monitor that's fine too...

The card today has one DVI and one VGA output. I read somewhere that its not advisable to connect VGA to HDTV, that lead to this solution-search.

While I have a PCI-E motherboard and ATI Radeon X1600 Pro card, I'm not into games and so as such, if I'm able to connect my PC to HDTV while "not affecting" the connectivity to the PC monitor, that's good enough.

Thanks for all the pointers & thoughts.how
April 16, 2009 9:12:04 PM

photonboy said:
I have an HD3870 and hooked up a monitor and my Sony 32" HDTV. The monitor is DVI and the HDTV uses the VGA input.

I didn't spend a lot of time, but it doesn't appear like it's even easy to use an "extended" desktop if your two screens are different ratios and/or different resolutions.

Any newer card has the hardware, I'm just not sure the software is the greatest yet.

You may wish to investigate whether NVidia or ATI currently have better solutions but either way your best bet is a single card solution as I believe SLI and Crossfire have multi-screen issues though that may have been fixed.

Again, the hardware is there but the software is still lacking slightly.

How are you connecting VGA to HDTV ?
April 17, 2009 1:38:03 AM

The HDTV should have a VGA in, if it doesn't then your out of luck. Also when you meant another video card do you mean SLI or just stick in another video card?

@daedalus685 I doubt you can run another video card in a 'SLI" mobo, with o xfire or anything.
a b U Graphics card
April 17, 2009 9:31:51 PM

To clarify AKM880, you can use as many video cards as you want provided there is space for them on the MB and the OS can support the drivers for them. The SLI compatibility only makes a difference if you wish to LINK the cards, i.e. run SLI or crossfire. If you were too chose to you could have a video card in every free slot outputting to a dozen monitors if you were to want to.. whatever the reason for that would be.
May 13, 2009 10:52:00 AM

I am also running M2N-SLi mobo with ATI x1600 pro graphics card.
On primary channel I run Samsung monitor, 19", and on the secondary DVI my LG Plasma, 42",.

The driver package from ATI is the CATALYST. You must install this package and run the software. You will find the options to run primary and secondary monitors. It is as simple as drag and drop.
The secondary option has an auto detect function to detect the monitor/hdtv if the hdtv does not sent its id on connection.

Good luck

PS. I used a DVI to RS232 adaptor from g/card and connected to plasma via 5 meter RS232 cable. Plasma had no provision for DVI...
!