Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Graphic card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 16, 2009 7:07:41 AM

hey all,
i'd be greatful to any one who could help me wid my graphic card.i hav no clue abt Graphic card compatability.So pls help me wid this.i was plannin to buy a GeForce
8800 GTX,768MB one.But i do not know if my mother board will support it.I have a Intel pentium dual CPU E2160 @1.8GHz and 1gb DDR2 RAM.If any one could just tell me if my system could be compatible wid that Graphic card i'd be very thankful.:-)

More about : graphic card

a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2009 7:23:43 AM

What kind of motherboard do you have? And how much are you going to spend on the GTX? You can probably get something newer/faster at a similar price.
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2009 7:34:43 AM

Well from the basic setup, am sure your motherboard can support the graphics card because you have somewhat a recent CPU and DDR2 RAM, which implies even your mobo would be a recent one and nearly all those mobos have pcie slot....But the main concern here would be the power supply that you have...
Give more info on both the motherboard make and model number and the power supply make and model number...
Related resources
April 16, 2009 7:42:10 AM

He's obviously not very educated on cards...isn't that what he said?

Even if he down steps to a card(GTX is old anyways...down stepping from that teir) that would suit his monitor....he would need to either oc his cpu or replace it...he needs ram...and of course he needs a PSU...what resolution is he wanting to go with factor that in on the card choice...well at this point atleast you have a mobo and a case :whistle: 

Does he even have a monitor worth a crap? lcd or a crt? resolution?


ALSO! why op do you take the time to punctuate when you don't even take the time to spell out words *sigh*....wid pls and abt.....hav?
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2009 7:50:24 AM

rewindlabs said:
He's obviously not very educated on cards...isn't that what he said?

Even if he down steps to a card(GTX is old anyways...down stepping from that teir) that would suit his monitor....he would need to either oc his cpu or replace it...he needs ram...and of course he needs a PSU...what resolution is he wanting to go with factor that in on the card choice...well at this point atleast you have a mobo and a case :whistle: 

Does he even have a monitor worth a crap? lcd or a crt? resolution?


ALSO! why op do you take the time to punctuate when you don't even take the time to spell out words *sigh*....wid pls and abt.....hav?

:o  Please go easy on the guy :lol:  He is new to the forums I gues...
First let him try and get what mother board model, PSU model then start ;) 
April 16, 2009 8:01:02 AM

gkay09 said:
:o  Please go easy on the guy :lol:  He is new to the forums I gues...
First let him try and get what mother board model, PSU model then start ;) 

New to the english language? i doubt it :p 

He is best off selling the heap he has and trying to get 100-150$ out of that and build a new rig entirely...we need to know the budget....
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2009 8:27:09 AM

Hmm...but still the E2160 is a good CPU and overclocking it, it can be used 1+ years...
But I doubt he would even try overclocking it...
Maybe he can add more RAM, and the new card would increase his PCs lifespan...
April 16, 2009 8:33:14 AM

I find it hilarious that OC'ing is mentioned whenever someone comes in here and asks something that has nothing to do with OC'ing.
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2009 8:38:14 AM

Vokofpolisiekar said:
I find it hilarious that OC'ing is mentioned whenever someone comes in here and asks something that has nothing to do with OC'ing.

Well I don't find it hilarious... :sarcastic: 
It is just to help the person get the maximum performance out of the components that he has...It maybe that he wouldn't have considered that option before...but with old h/w you can always give a try...
You speak as if only the person asks specifically for overclock, you should suggest that :p 
Why not give him all the options beforehand...
April 16, 2009 8:53:58 AM

That would be a cute correction to the common ill-placed suggestions on overclocking except....there would be no point in buying a gpu from 100-200$ price range and trying to game with that cpu atleast at its default clock....its like buying a 8800gtx right now...it would be pointless

How else would this guy who i doubt knows much of pcs to begin with...start towards the direction of being able to game? with a 1.8ghz cpu he will obviously be limited...or would you suggest we let him get a high power/dollar card in his system along with the 1gb of ram + low clocked cpu and him have no idea where the performance is :heink: 

why don't you bring up the ram suggestion aswell? oh because you think he will need ram and not a + on the cpu? wow your post was such a great contribution....i so want to insult you :( 
April 16, 2009 9:07:29 AM

gkay09 said:
Well I don't find it hilarious... :sarcastic: 
It is just to help the person get the maximum performance out of the components that he has...It maybe that he wouldn't have considered that option before...but with old h/w you can always give a try...
You speak as if only the person asks specifically for overclock, you should suggest that :p 
Why not give him all the options beforehand...


Oh, so you are a fatherly figure giving guidance on topics not asked upon? Stellar. He wants to know if graphics card x will work on system y. Not the z option of overclocking.

The real advice you could give AFTER you've find out about what exactly his system entails would be: I'd suggest a better CPU. Then, when he says that his strapped for cash you could hint towards OC'ing.

Tell me, if he buggers up his computer due to your advice, will you still give him "support"?
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2009 9:08:09 AM

rewindlabs said:
That would be a cute correction to the common ill-placed suggestions on overclocking except....there would be no point in buying a gpu from 100-200$ price range and trying to game with that cpu atleast at its default clock....its like buying a 8800gtx right now...it would be pointless

How else would this guy who i doubt knows much of pcs to begin with...start towards the direction of being able to game? with a 1.8ghz cpu he will obviously be limited...or would you suggest we let him get a high power/dollar card in his system along with the 1gb of ram + low clocked cpu and him have no idea where the performance is :heink: 

why don't you bring up the ram suggestion aswell? oh because you think he will need ram and not a + on the cpu? wow your post was such a great contribution....i so want to insult you :( 


Edit : My bad :pfff:  got it all wrong :|
April 16, 2009 9:10:13 AM

rewindlabs said:
That would be a cute correction to the common ill-placed suggestions on overclocking except....there would be no point in buying a gpu from 100-200$ price range and trying to game with that cpu atleast at its default clock....its like buying a 8800gtx right now...it would be pointless

How else would this guy who i doubt knows much of pcs to begin with...start towards the direction of being able to game? with a 1.8ghz cpu he will obviously be limited...or would you suggest we let him get a high power/dollar card in his system along with the 1gb of ram + low clocked cpu and him have no idea where the performance is :heink: 

why don't you bring up the ram suggestion aswell? oh because you think he will need ram and not a + on the cpu? wow your post was such a great contribution....i so want to insult you :( 


What did he ask? Should I draw a picture for you?
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2009 9:10:47 AM

Vokofpolisiekar said:
Oh, so you are a fatherly figure giving guidance on topics not asked upon? Stellar. He wants to know if graphics card x will work on system y. Not the z option of overclocking.

The real advice you could give AFTER you've find out about what exactly his system entails would be: I'd suggest a better CPU. Then, when he says that his strapped for cash you could hint towards OC'ing.

Tell me, if he buggers up his computer due to your advice, will you still give him "support"?

Well did you even read completely what I had said...
"But I doubt he would even try overclocking it..."
I never asked him to overclock...So what you are saying is pointless...
April 16, 2009 9:13:03 AM

Buying a 8800 gtx would only be pointless if you where paying comparable prices to faster solutions :ouch: 

I thought i suggested ram so thats why i mentioned it as its something he will need regardless

The cpu is only weak at its stock speed for gaming....

btw my entire post to begin with was towards the V guy...no need to get so jumpy

If someone says overclocking and he rushes off and frys his cpu...its for the better...one less person not following the countless guides....so?
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2009 9:15:43 AM

Well cool....Now lets stop these word fights and move on...
But stiill if someone wants to, am ready :p 
April 16, 2009 9:17:22 AM

Is this place full of trolls like him? the V guy?

a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2009 9:22:10 AM

rewindlabs said:
Is this place full of trolls like him? the V guy?

Cool it dude...
Maybe he would have seen many posts that would have got to his nerves I guess... :cry: 
But he should have atleast said it in a proper way... :heink: 
April 16, 2009 9:25:33 AM

Troll? Me? Your the reason Toms Forums has become so mundane. People come here for advice, not your opinion.

If someone asks a question, answer his question and not what you think the question should be or would like it to be.

So why don't you stop giving useless advice cretin and stick to what the OP wants.
April 16, 2009 9:26:20 AM

I was being serious...

So far im seeing COUNTLESS double and triple posts...little flame wars in threads left and right......Im glad i already have a forum i regularly attend...this place seems to be for a younger age/mental group

BACK ON TOPIC....

Edit:lol....having a system that can actually game isn't advice?....its an opinion?....sure your not a troll
April 16, 2009 9:31:41 AM

gkay09 said:
Cool it dude...
Maybe he would have seen many posts that would have got to his nerves I guess... :cry: 
But he should have atleast said it in a proper way... :heink: 


Yes, I'm getting ticked off. Everywhere everyone resorts to oc'ing to resolve/better someones situation which is completely asinine. Like I said, if you want to give advice then give it to the tune of not messing up someones system. There's a point when you can suggest OC'ing, but by then you'd know if the OP is capable or willing. What I see here, is that OC'ing is the start and ending point for most advice.

It's always the case: the cpu isn't good enough for the gcard. Or the PSU isn't 1000W+ and so you won't be able to run this or that.

Some people come here and ask a question for what he has. They don't want all the over the top aspects from someone else unless they ask for it.



April 16, 2009 9:37:19 AM

rewindlabs said:
I was being serious...

So far im seeing COUNTLESS double and triple posts...little flame wars in threads left and right......Im glad i already have a forum i regularly attend...this place seems to be for a younger age/mental group

BACK ON TOPIC....

Edit:lol....having a system that can actually game isn't advice?....its an opinion?....sure your not a troll


You are the troll. Do you see me using LOL and all the gimmick smileys and then claiming to have a little cave elsewhere where I post from which I wish you'd disappear to and give your askew view to someone like minded there?


a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2009 9:40:26 AM

Vokofpolisiekar said:
Yes, I'm getting ticked off. Everywhere everyone resorts to oc'ing to resolve/better someones situation which is completely asinine. Like I said, if you want to give advice then give it to the tune of not messing up someones system. There's a point when you can suggest OC'ing, but by then you'd know if the OP is capable or willing. What I see here, is that OC'ing is the start and ending point for most advice.

It's always the case: the cpu isn't good enough for the gcard. Or the PSU isn't 1000W+ and so you won't be able to run this or that.

Some people come here and ask a question for what he has. They don't want all the over the top aspects from someone else unless they ask for it.

But still do you see anywhere anyone saying him to overclock his CPU ?
And as for you getting ticked off, that is not anyone's problem here...As far as I have seen, I see people giving the overclock as an option only if the OP is comfortable with it...
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2009 9:42:03 AM

EDIT : Double post...Damn the pages dont get submittted properly...
April 16, 2009 9:45:22 AM

Go to the first few posts and then look for yourself where it went wrong. I believe the first two replies was on the right track.
April 16, 2009 9:47:00 AM

Vokofpolisiekar said:
You are the troll. Do you see me using LOL and all the gimmick smileys and then claiming to have a little cave elsewhere where I post from which I wish you'd disappear to and give your askew view to someone like minded there?

I know its anti-me to use an acronym such as lol but there was no point in you posting originally other then to start a little look at me talk to me time :pt1cable: 

And im already there but no one is posting...will you come post with me?

No one specifically told him to oc the cpu thats suggestively speaking as where to start...if he does oc that is his problem and if it results in fried parts it is still his problem...people need to learn to search there is no excuse for reading oc the cpu and not looking out for the dos and donts
April 16, 2009 10:05:08 AM

rewindlabs said:
And im already there but no one is posting...will you come post with me? I wonder why?


The gist of this whole thing is that a.) he has a computer and wants to add a g/card and b.) that's it. He doesn't want to know how well it will run with said cpu. He doesn't want to know if 1GB of RAM will add flavor to such a purchase.

By mentioning OC, you basically tell me that you consider that an option. I believe that OC'ing should be a hobby or the last ditch effort of someone that can't afford above that performance level. The OP still hasn't replied and told us his exact situation, but already you are hinting at him to buy a complete new PC or sell it all for who knows what reason.

Now tell me, where did you fall off the truck? Just because you idealize the use of a PC doesn't mean everyone who comes in here is the same. Some people actually just casually play games and to them a single purchase is enough. Whether it's beneficial to them (in terms of the overall PC) isn't really applicable here. They post once or twice, gets some vote of confidence for their purchase and they're gone.

Look at the OP's post and tell me you gauge this guy as a "hardcore" gamer or someone extremely adept at the technical know how of PC's? He seems more like your avg PC user. Like I said, the helpfulness ended with the second reply by gkay.

April 16, 2009 12:16:36 PM

This thread amuses me.

We do need more info from the OP.

Overclocking could be an option, its certainly easier and cheaper then replacing the CPU for someone who isn't good with computers.
April 16, 2009 12:32:52 PM

Well it's about time things got cracka-lacking here.
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2009 12:34:59 PM

djcoolmasterx said:
This thread amuses me.

:p  you can find many like this here...
April 16, 2009 12:50:09 PM

Many like this? It's the majority and that's like 90%. Be it as it may, I have my reasons for lashing out.
April 16, 2009 12:52:32 PM

Vokofpolisiekar said:
Well it's about time things got cracka-lacking here.


Are any of the other "Otherers" returning to the surface?
April 16, 2009 1:12:18 PM

Nah. Down there it's way more pleasant than here. We even got our own little renaming thing going so you should refer to me as Old Man. The Old Man.

April 16, 2009 1:32:47 PM

It's to warn any unfortunate newcomers that may stumble into that wretched pit of depravity that is "other".

You guys should visit more often.
!