Should I update my Bios? EVGA 680i + Bios P33 ???

5abivt

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
Ok here are my system specs.

E6750 core 2 duo 2.66 1333 FSB, 4 GB Mushkin low latency DDR2 800 Ram (4-4-4-12)
Board is obviously the EVGA 680i SLi I have never updated Bios and nor have I overclocked until today.
Zalman cooler on the CPU, Antec p182 w/4 fans
GTX 470 GPU
ANtec 850 Quattro PSU

I just started overclocking my cpu today and got up to 3.3 and it runs stable on every load test. Still confused on how I can get my ram faster etc but i have much reading to do about the liked/unlinked and overclocking memory (any tips appreciated !)

ANyhow I found that EVGA has an updated Bios. Should I upgrade to the new one? is it generally better? I have read many random posts on how to leave the bios if it runs fine. I only tried to up my memory to 850 mhz and i got a long beep with no boot up. I turned it back to 800 and am just going back over all things I can make sure that Im where I should be before I go further.

I've read that the E6750 can go much higher (3.8-4) but It's not my goal. I just want to run faster and comfortable and be able to optimize my $$ memory and the cpu to its potential so Im not bottlenecking the GPU so much.

ANy thoughts or input on anything are appreciated ! :hello:

5abivt

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
I would imagine you are not joking? I was thinking the update would be beneficial if I was going to be overclocking as I am... so leave it as is since everything is working ok ?

There are a couple of things here. First most memory does not overclock well at all, and it is really pretty pointless, as memory is not a bottleneck most of the time anyway. You work at overclocking the processor, while adjusting your memory to keep it at spec. Second, your nVidia chipset is not exactly known for it's great overclocking potential.
Some people have had decent success, but most have not.
Last, unless the new BIOS has an update that is specifically written to fix a problem you are having, updating your BIOS is pretty pointless. But if you are comfortable with doing this, and you accept the fact that if you do something wrong you could end up with a dead motherboard, it might help, it might not, just have to try it and see. However, don't blame us if your board suddenly won't boot. Its a definite risk.

5abivt

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll leave it as is.

With regards to memory one site that had a detailed overview on overclocking almost the same processor (E6700) on the same board says to leave memory unliked, type in the speed of the memory (800) and leave it as is and just crank the fsb on the cpu.

Right now I have the cpu to 3.3 ghz and memory I have it as 850 mhz still with 4-4-4-12 timings (set in there myself because when I raised it more it loosened the timings to 5-5-5-18) that it says on the Mushkin sticks. I had to raise the v +.1 to get it to boot and run fine at 850 but it works fine (2.1V)