Thermaltake Frio or Corsair H70?

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Hello everyone,

See my sig for my config, but basically i have an Antec 902, Maximus 3 Formula and 4GB Dominator GT @ 2Ghz. I currently run a Titan Fenrir in the case, however its wideness actually covers the first RAM slot and intrudes somewhat on the second slot, making the stick lean over in the slot (which worries me). I have been looking at the Thermaltake Frio, which has recieved good reviews, however i looked at the dimensions and according to what i have gleaned, the Frio is almost 6cm higher than the Fenrir which almost hits the edges of my case as it is. I would love the Frio as it is a simple air cooling solution that won't impede my RAM slots anymore. Has anyone had any experience with the Frio in an Antec 902?

My other consideration is the H70 by Corsair. I am not new to the concept of closed loop CPU coolers and from what i have seen, the H70 is an excellent cooler. Has anyone had any experience with these? By the way, i know for a fact that dimensions won't be an issue here :).

Thanks very much for reading.

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
The fenrir's height is listed at 156mm and the frio's height is 165mm... a difference of 9mm... if you need a good cooler to clear your ram and its heatsink, you could look at Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme... Its only 150mm high but offers 43mm clearance from its base to the first fin... thats enough to accommodate most memory sticks...

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
What about the Tuniq's width with a push fan? Will that not impede on my RAM sticks from the side? The Maximus 3 Formula doesn't have a great deal of clearance from the CPU to the RAM.

And thanks for that clarification, it looks like the retailer i usually buy from got the dimensions wrong!

duk3

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
I don't like the H70, it's loud, expensive, performs just as well as good air cooling and it can leak.
The Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme already has a fan installed in the middle like the Zalman coolers do.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer

MaxGuerette

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
I have a TT Frio.. Running on a Corei7 930 @ 3.36GHZ . I thought it would work a little better. Idles at about 35-40 and on load is about 55-60. I do run both fans at low setting as it can get quite loud at full.

tx-jose

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010

i REALLY dont think it would FIT on my MINI ITX mobo :lol:

besides Swiftech apoge XT cpu waterblock is in the mail :D