Sign in with
Your question

Looking For A BTX Motherboard For Gaming?

Last response: in Motherboards
September 9, 2009 4:26:31 AM

Hi, I own the Dell Dimension 5100 (White and smoked grey case) I love the PC case design and wouldn't want to see it go to waste. It has a very good air ventelation design that has served my Pentium 4 chip silently for the past 4 years. (or so.) I never hear the fan turn.

Now getting down to the serious part, the current Mobo is a basic Dell BTX Motherboard that is pure junk. The FSB on the ram can only hold 533Mhz and it's only PCI-e 1.0 compatible.

What is the BTX to the G31 type motherboards?

Regards.

More about : btx motherboard gaming

a c 156 V Motherboard
September 9, 2009 5:29:43 AM

I think that you will have problems finding one.
a c 435 V Motherboard
September 9, 2009 11:12:48 AM

Ebay has some btx boards for am2 and the Intel 965 chipset, which was the fastest one available. After 965, no more new chipsets were designed for the btx platform. You can also search yahoo, pricewatch, or google. Amazon.com or buy.com may also have listings from venders. Newegg had a beautiful rosewill case yesterday for $49.99 shipped that came with a free 500w power supply. I would suggest a good atx case, such as the antec 300 or one of Newegg's rosewill designs. Then you can use whatever motherboard you desire for all the newest processors. You can also wait for windows 7 to be released next month and buy a new system with it preinstalled.
Related resources
September 9, 2009 5:58:56 PM

Hmm... Damn... Is there any way of modifying the case? For example, instead of it opening from the RIGHT side to enter the case, make it so the LEFT side (ATX) opens. I mean, it shouldn't be that hard.

The heatsink used was awesome. It's a massive one -fanless and it keeps the CPU below 50 when maxed out.
a b V Motherboard
September 9, 2009 6:23:00 PM

Nope, the orientation is completely different. Unless you have the equipment to unsolder, create new holes and new electrical paths then solder them to new locations, I don't think it'd be economical.

Maybe it is time to get a new pc, there have been a couple of builds and suggestions that were made in the forums on creating silent or near silent HTPCs (that could also game).

* Or you could try the reverse of this: http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/the-chop-shop/36273-mod-...
To make the BTX case into an ATX one, it just involves a lot of hackery (with the hack saw).
September 26, 2009 7:08:14 PM

Hi

Fujitsu still make a range of BTX boards:

You should be able to pick-up a 2811A or 2812A - certainly the 2811A is avalible in the UK in singles (as opposed to qty's of 10).

Take a look at:

http://www.evercase.co.uk/Accessories.htm

and scroll down to the bottom of the page - there's also links to the Fujitsu site.

I'm about to order one myself to go in a Dell 9200 case (bit of cutting needed to accommodate the rear I/O panel) + you'll need to work out the front panel wiring re the on button & LED's - I've already done mine as it's got a Intel 965 board in it at the mo. As they are BTX, all the processor Heatsink mounting holes, Card slots etc are in the same place.

The 2811A & 2812A support the latest Intel dual & quad core chips and are based on the G43 & Q43 chipsets respectivly, so can also support upto 16GB ram.

BTW, if you need a new main fan, Arctic Cooling Pro PWM rear case fans are a good fit, you just need to fix the loose yellow wire to the main 4 pin socket in place of the one that's there ***** be warned - Dell 4 pin fan wiring is not the same as the BTX standard**** (but the Arctic Cooling fans are).

HTH

Zaphodbb
September 26, 2009 7:18:30 PM

Edit last message:

The 2811A & 2812A support the latest Intel dual & quad core chips and are based on the Q43 & G43 chipsets respectivly, so can also support upto 16GB ram.

Main difference is that the 2812A has on-board RAID thanks to the G43 chipset.
September 26, 2009 11:26:40 PM

Honestly, you would be a LOT better off geting a new case. BTX boards are uncommon and obscure. Your choices and the values you will be able to find will be limited severely by not going with ATX. I've never used a Dimension 5100 case, but I would be quite literally shocked if it were even close in cooling performance to an Antec 300 or CoolerMaster 690, both of which can be found for around $50-70 new. If you really think the fans, heatsink, etc. are that good and quiet, you can always keep them unless Dell used some weird proprietary parts, but I imagine you'd find that available 3rd party products are much better. For things like heatsinks and fans, big manufacturers like Dell pretty much never use high end parts, because their customers don't know or care to ask for them and would rather pay less for sub-par components. Again, I have no specific experience with this machine so maybe I'm way off base, but I have never seen a Dell case or cooling component that was worth saving for a new build.

What's your budget for this upgrade? A stock Dimension 5100 would need to be pretty much rebuilt from scratch to be a proper gaming machine - you'd need a new CPU, GPU, RAM, hard drive, etc. You're basically building a new system here, correct? I would suggest posting to the New System Build forum with your budget and needs. Mention the Dell parts you have and are thinking about using but leave it up to others to suggest whether you should keep or replace those parts based on your budget. If you're trying to build a gaming rig for $400 then yeah, save every component you can so you can afford a tolerable GPU on that budget. If you can go above $600, IMO, you should spring for a new case at least.
September 27, 2009 3:56:16 AM

solistus said:
I've never used a Dimension 5100 case, but I would be quite literally shocked if it were even close in cooling performance to an Antec 300 or CoolerMaster 690

Aww, if only you knew. Thats why I fell in love with this case and asked for a BTX motherboard to upgrade. The airflow to the CPU was so well thought through, I'm suprised they discontinued the design. It has a huge geniune SUPER SILENT 160mm fan on the front of the case, that sucks in air via its air vent straight onto the heatsink. (PS: It's one of the biggest heatsinks I've seen in my life!! It's fanless, due to the airvent directly blowing onto the heatsink.) I leave the system running for 3 days flat sometimes, and I promise you not, I don't hear a hickup from the PC. It is on my desk, right next to me, my ear, and it just dosn't make a sound, its like there are no fans... It's like its fanless, with a water cooler or somthing. I would one day make a youtube video review just on this case.

If I had the money, I would purchase this design from dell for a few hundred thousand, convert it to ATX and sell it for $199 bucks a peice :D 

solistus said:
What's your budget for this upgrade? A stock Dimension 5100 would need to be pretty much rebuilt from scratch to be a proper gaming machine - you'd need a new CPU, GPU, RAM, hard drive, etc. You're basically building a new system here, correct? I would suggest posting to the New System Build forum with your budget and needs. Mention the Dell parts you have and are thinking about using but leave it up to others to suggest whether you should keep or replace those parts based on your budget. If you're trying to build a gaming rig for $400 then yeah, save every component you can so you can afford a tolerable GPU on that budget. If you can go above $600, IMO, you should spring for a new case at least.

Nah, if the BTX motherboard was not availible (for which it is not) then I was going to leave the idea. (which I have.)

I'll stick with what I have. Pentium 641 - 2GB DDR2 800Mhz (@533 due to the motherboard) and a 8600GTS.
September 27, 2009 11:05:19 AM

Yes, true: it's going to be a major re-build, & you could get a nice ATX based system for the same money but I went BTX for the same reason as Godbrother - the things are silent: I remember the first time I switched it on & thought I hadn't plugged it in it was soooooo quite.....

eBay has a UK supplier selling an older G31 based board (the D2750-A):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fujitsu-Micro-BTX-Board-Intel-G31...

The only other company that I know of using BTX is HP - but the cost of the boards is way too high...

Maybe you should look at a Dell XPS 7xx system? They are BTX & good for gaming.
September 27, 2009 4:09:46 PM

zaphodbb said:
Yes, true: it's going to be a major re-build, & you could get a nice ATX based system for the same money but I went BTX for the same reason as Godbrother - the things are silent: I remember the first time I switched it on & thought I hadn't plugged it in it was soooooo quite.....

eBay has a UK supplier selling an older G31 based board (the D2750-A):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fujitsu-Micro-BTX-Board-Intel-G31...

The only other company that I know of using BTX is HP - but the cost of the boards is way too high...

Maybe you should look at a Dell XPS 7xx system? They are BTX & good for gaming.

Hi, well as I said, paying 75 quid for a MB even though for that price I can get a E5200+motherboard it dosn't make any sence to be honest.

This case is wonderfull, no doubt, but I wouldn't bare paying that much just to keep it going. I guess I'll upgrade to a Pentium D 805 and leave it as a spare for the future.

Best I can think off right now. I am planning on getting a Gigabyte G31 + Q8200 + another 2GB of ram (2gb from the dell = 4GB) and walla! Then in the future, upgrade the GPU and PSU.

I have like a million ATX cases, but there are all load with there heatsink/fan layouts etc. O, btw, at one point in this dells life I actually took it apart and i disconnected the heatsink from its bay. I was getting really happy that I could connect that heatsink to an ATX board but I was disapointed right at the end. The pins that you screw in didn't reach through the motherboard, so you need to make some sort of a modification to make it go through, and I wasn't botherd so I left it.

My initial idea was to remove the fan from the vent (not air holes, it has its own vent) and screw it onto the heatsink and walla! :D 

September 27, 2009 6:34:10 PM

Yes - agreed the mobo's are a lot more expensive than the ATX boards, still, as I was given the D5150 (which started me off on this path) C/W Pentium 2.8 HT CPU - but not much else, I didn't mind spending a bit on it...... except I've spent more than I had planned :D 

Most of the new bits have come from eBay, the Intel mobo was £20 (damn good price - and it was new!), the Antec PSU was £50 (new) & the HD4850 was £50 (almost new - guy had bought it to go in his SLI rig, but it wouldn't recognise the second HD4850 as the chipset was too old, so he decided to stick with the GPU's he already had) + second hand RAM ~£20 for the 4GB.
After I fitted all the goodies in, I was unhappy about the GPU card being so close to the processor heatsink & therefore not much airflow around it, so I picked-up a secondhand D9200 case (slightly taller than the D5150 & an extra fan at the front) which helps with the airflow.
I will buy the Fujitsu D2811A board, but this will be the last upgrade (bar some more RAM later & maybe a better CPU if funds allow) as the GPU PCIe slot is one slot further away from the CPU heatsink, so more airflow for the HD4850.

What I could never understand was, why oh why wasn't there another ATX revison useing the BTX format for CPU placement at the middle front :pfff: 

September 27, 2009 11:41:33 PM

zaphodbb said:
Yes - agreed the mobo's are a lot more expensive than the ATX boards, still, as I was given the D5150 (which started me off on this path) C/W Pentium 2.8 HT CPU - but not much else, I didn't mind spending a bit on it...... except I've spent more than I had planned :D 

Most of the new bits have come from eBay, the Intel mobo was £20 (damn good price - and it was new!), the Antec PSU was £50 (new) & the HD4850 was £50 (almost new - guy had bought it to go in his SLI rig, but it wouldn't recognise the second HD4850 as the chipset was too old, so he decided to stick with the GPU's he already had) + second hand RAM ~£20 for the 4GB.
After I fitted all the goodies in, I was unhappy about the GPU card being so close to the processor heatsink & therefore not much airflow around it, so I picked-up a secondhand D9200 case (slightly taller than the D5150 & an extra fan at the front) which helps with the airflow.
I will buy the Fujitsu D2811A board, but this will be the last upgrade (bar some more RAM later & maybe a better CPU if funds allow) as the GPU PCIe slot is one slot further away from the CPU heatsink, so more airflow for the HD4850.

What I could never understand was, why oh why wasn't there another ATX revison useing the BTX format for CPU placement at the middle front :pfff: 

I was about to say the same thing, why did they have to completly redesign a whole new motherboard just to spread the load out. And Why the need for a whole new PC case layout.

I actually wanted to convert this case to ATX, as it should be fairly simple, but I didn't want to mess around with the case for now, till I get another PC.

Dell are so awesome, yet the biggest failers in human history. I hate OEM computers, full stop.

AND WTH? - only 20 quid for a BTX motherboard? How?...
September 27, 2009 11:45:01 PM

Instead of paying 75 for a MB and another 50 for a CPU (total 125 quid) I was thinking on just getting a Pentium D 3.4Ghz 4MB cache 65nm (way cooler then the 90nm ones)

It will perform as well as a Core 2 Duo @ 2.0Ghz and the PD's only cost like 30 quid. It should hold me on for another 6 months in the gaming field. I just purchased an 8800GT so meh.

I'm not going to upgrade the PSU either, I'm just going to get another 300W PSU, and connect it directly to the GPU only. (I have one laying around.) I did this before, and it worked :)  No need to pay 50 quid for a PSU either.

Man, I'm so broke right now :D 
a b V Motherboard
September 29, 2009 3:22:48 PM

godbrother said:
Instead of paying 75 for a MB and another 50 for a CPU (total 125 quid) I was thinking on just getting a Pentium D 3.4Ghz 4MB cache 65nm (way cooler then the 90nm ones)

It will perform as well as a Core 2 Duo @ 2.0Ghz and the PD's only cost like 30 quid. It should hold me on for another 6 months in the gaming field. I just purchased an 8800GT so meh.

I'm not going to upgrade the PSU either, I'm just going to get another 300W PSU, and connect it directly to the GPU only. (I have one laying around.) I did this before, and it worked :)  No need to pay 50 quid for a PSU either.

Man, I'm so broke right now :D 

It is possible to make a near silent ATX case, though you'd need to spend on a cpu hsf, silent aux fans and selecting the actual case.

Judging from the size of cooler that is in your case, I think you could buy a 3rd party cooler (for ATX) such as the V8 or Core Contact Freezer and always run it at the lowest setting.
September 29, 2009 9:19:50 PM

Well - good luck with your project :D 

I'll go ahead as planned above..... this one will have to last me a few years as I can't afford to keep pouring more money into it.
At least by the time I can afford to build another one we will have a totally different CPU line-up - who knows, there may even be another board/case type :o 

Cheers
September 29, 2009 9:22:46 PM

'AND WTH? - only 20 quid for a BTX motherboard? How?... '

I was lucky - only 4 people bid on it & I won it for £19 + £5 delivery....... BNIB C/W 2 SATA leads but no I/O shield. Who say's you can't get a bargain on eBay! :lol: 
September 30, 2009 2:40:31 AM

zaphodbb said:
'AND WTH? - only 20 quid for a BTX motherboard? How?... '

I was lucky - only 4 people bid on it & I won it for £19 + £5 delivery....... BNIB C/W 2 SATA leads but no I/O shield. Who say's you can't get a bargain on eBay! :lol: 

Bollocks! ^^ :D 
October 8, 2009 8:00:17 PM

Well, the D2811 is in and...... I spotted a Q9400 for a good price so that's in as well.

It's pretty quick now with just the HD letting the side down, but that will have to wait - totally out of cash now!

I'm going to put the Intel board back up on eBay in a couple of days C/W a 2.8Ghz P4 HT that I had knocking around (but no ram as that's in the new board)
October 10, 2009 1:15:39 AM

zaphodbb said:
Well, the D2811 is in and...... I spotted a Q9400 for a good price so that's in as well.

It's pretty quick now with just the HD letting the side down, but that will have to wait - totally out of cash now!

I'm going to put the Intel board back up on eBay in a couple of days C/W a 2.8Ghz P4 HT that I had knocking around (but no ram as that's in the new board)

Hey. I checked on ebay, and that board is no where to be found, I guess its one of those rare ones. If I can pick up a BTX board for like... 40 quid, I'm happy. But I just can't seem to find any.

Care to help?
October 18, 2009 8:25:45 PM

Well the D2811 is out then (~£106 delivered).

I've been too busy to put the Intel board back on - will let you know when I do.

Cheers
October 18, 2009 8:27:52 PM

BTW I also have the Dell 5150 mobo to put on.
!