Crazy V

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Any idea on the performance of the Phenom II X4 965BE versus the 955BE? Or a release date? Is it worth the upgrade? The Phenom II X4 965BE is 200MHz faster than the 955 at around 3.4GHz - straight out of the box, But is it still limited to the same overclocks as the 955BE? It just an overclocked 955BE?
Any Commits?

Kari

Splendid
http://www.techpowerup.com/97909/AMD_Readying_Phenom_II_X4_965.html
samples are going out next week, doesn't mention retail... maybe a month or two

this post is also pretty interesting
btarunr said:
I'm hearing that the C2 revision-stepping of Deneb can allow making SKUs till 3.80 or even 4.00 GHz safely, maybe the higher clocked ones scraping the 140W TDP mark. I can't confirm this though.
here's hoping they get that tdp down a little

dattimr

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
What. I had to rate up half the posts of this thread (and I still can't save you from the frenzy, Blood Raven) . For Christ's sake. Well, I'm waiting for the 965. I just hope they increase the NB speed to 2.2, at least.

sdf

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2007
Getting back on topic. Is there really much of a difference between the two chips besides the increased multiplier? If that's the case just OC the 955 and save yourself some money.

Being that this could be a different rev or stepping etc, it could also give you 200Mhz on full out oc over the 955, which some people will want. Realize, this is AMDs setup, always has been, where those steps are important, whereas Intels mid and highend chips usually arent bought by most ehthusiasts, as their cost to perf ratio doesnt merit it, where here youre talking 30$ ?

if you own a 955 already, and unless youre just into top clocks, no, most wont buy it over whats available, tho, a few will. What this will do however is bring it that much closer to i7 at stock

At least he got rid of the hand creme (or sanitizer) bottle :bounce:

I gotta admit, I like the green lava lamp. But he can keep the rest of it :D

bige420

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
That was actually a bottle of Germ-X hand sanitizer. Its alcohol content would make in unsuitable for a personal lubricant if thats what you were hinting at.

Edit: who frames movie posters and puts them on their walls?

+1 for the green lava lamp

Is the Phenom 965BE the 'TWKR' ?

It looks like AMD is getting good yields from their 45NMs - with continuing improvements and a few chipset updates (look forward to the new sb800) hopefully they will tum a profit ...

In the next few years :)

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008

That's not going to happen until Orichi hits the market in 2011. Even by then, Intel, with 10 times more money into R&D and numerically superior army of engineers, may present something even better than i7. Unless Intel botched again like they did with Netburst, or AMD is really lucky with their new architecture, we're not going to see FX brand for a long time.

Unless the uncore is able to reach higher frequency with reduced latency to L2 and L3.

Honest opinion? Too little for too much. Therell be some people this will benefit right away, while the vast majority wont. So too little perf benefits for more monies.
Im not saying I dont like the idea of MT, or HT, and dont recognize the need for it. And even Intels turbo, for average Joe, its great, but 12 threads? For work, yes and maybe, for play? Not yet, not for awhile.
Let me put it this way. If someone offered me a 295 from nVidia, I wouldnt turn it down, tho itd be pure overkill for me, but its not as tho a lil overkill would be that bad either. Its just, for most people, they wouldnt even know how to install it, wouldnt have the psu to drive it, and alot of them never game anyways. Same thing with the hex cores.
For some enthusiasts, sure, some not at all, and some, its needed