Sign in with
Your question

Will a QX6850 OC 3.5ghz bottleneck 2 HD 4870 x2?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 16, 2009 10:43:45 AM

I've always been curious as to my gaming setup. I'm running a QX6850 OCed to 3.5 ghz on an x38 with dual HD 4870 x2. Will the performance of the graphics card be bottlenecked by the CPU?
April 16, 2009 11:36:28 AM

unless 1 of the cores are being used at 100% during gaming i would say no lol.
April 16, 2009 1:23:30 PM

If you ever notice there's a bottleneck while playing a game using that set up, probably the bottleneck is you.

Just kidding. No you won't be bottlenecked with a quad @ 3.5ghz. But if you are...
Related resources
April 17, 2009 11:41:55 PM

Thanks for the replies. I am new to this word "bottleneck" and its kind of confusing because according to the word, in order to get the full potential of the cards you would need to get a faster cpu. Wouldn't the performance gain be from the CPU? I wouldn't know how to tell.
April 18, 2009 2:06:18 AM

No matter what, unless you can balance absolutely everything, One part of your computer will always bottleneck the rest. But with your CPU I wouldn't worry too much about your 4870 getting bottlenecked.
April 18, 2009 5:54:32 AM

unpunished said:
I've always been curious as to my gaming setup. I'm running a QX6850 OCed to 3.5 ghz on an x38 with dual HD 4870 x2. Will the performance of the graphics card be bottlenecked by the CPU?

You should be good. I mean, something will always "bottleneck" something. That word is just stupid, imho... I mean the only relevant use for it is for very obvious issues with component balence... for instance if someone was running a 4870x2 on an old Athlon X2 CPU... now that would be a bottleneck. Now sure, one part of your system (either the CPU or GPUs, but likely the CPU) is probably "slower" than the other, but not to the extent where you'd really call it a legitimate bottleneck. That word is just thrown around all the time these days, and it's stupid.
April 21, 2009 12:12:28 AM

Hey EQ! Thanks for the reply and thanks for shedding new light to that word "bottleneck". The whole issue makes sense to me now and it does get used way too often without any clear and thorough understanding of it.
April 21, 2009 3:30:50 PM

EQPlayer said:
You should be good. I mean, something will always "bottleneck" something. That word is just stupid, imho... I mean the only relevant use for it is for very obvious issues with component balence... for instance if someone was running a 4870x2 on an old Athlon X2 CPU... now that would be a bottleneck. Now sure, one part of your system (either the CPU or GPUs, but likely the CPU) is probably "slower" than the other, but not to the extent where you'd really call it a legitimate bottleneck. That word is just thrown around all the time these days, and it's stupid.

I can see your rig in your sig EQ, it is quite the beast! On a side note, can you post some pics ?
April 21, 2009 4:03:03 PM

well seeing how a 4870 x2 is bottlenecked by a i7-965.........
April 21, 2009 4:35:54 PM

actually toms did a review on a gfx card or something and the i7 965 bottlenecked a single 4870 x2.
April 21, 2009 10:10:42 PM

Annisman said:
I can see your rig in your sig EQ, it is quite the beast! On a side note, can you post some pics ?

Yeah sure.

April 22, 2009 12:34:33 AM

Very nice! I don't particularly love the case, but everything else is outstanding.
April 22, 2009 12:54:21 AM

Annisman said:
Very nice! I don't particularly love the case, but everything else is outstanding.

I'm a big fan of the case, personally... I was debating between this and the CM HAF, but I think black cases with non-painted interiors just look akward... In any case, the 1200 is HUGE! <3 it.
April 22, 2009 3:03:10 AM

EQPlayer said:

What word should be used then...? "Bottleneck", as incorrect as it may be, is a lot easier to use than "will X part slow down the performance of Y part so much that I see a large deficit in performance?"
April 22, 2009 3:14:16 AM

efeat said:
What word should be used then...? "Bottleneck", as incorrect as it may be, is a lot easier to use than "will X part slow down the performance of Y part so much that I see a large deficit in performance?"

The problem isn't that it's wrong, the problem is that no matter what combo of CPU / GPU you use, you'll never get perfectly matched parts. One bit will always be slower / faster than the other bit.
!