obade

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Hi everyone!

I am planning to buy a new laptop, and I saw a interesting bargain, a Clevo computer with a P9400, a 9800GTX graphic card. However, there is "only" 2go of ram (the seller says it g-skill ddr3), and I am wondering if it is enough for gaming, as the other components are pretty"massive", it would be a pity that it slows down the computer.
Besides, would it be possible to add some memory on a laptop? For a desktop I know it very easy, what about laptops?

Thank you in advance for your answers!

obade

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Yeah sorry, the clevo is the Clevo M860TU
- Intel Core 2 Duo T9400 2.53 Ghz - GeForce 9800 GTX - 2 GB RAM - DD 250 Go - Lecteur Blu-Ray, running under XP pro..it is a used computer (proposed price is 1000eur on priceminister), so I am gathering as much info as I can :)
This config seems massive, except the RAM (which is g-skill ddr3 though), that is why I was wondering about the efficiency!

Thanks

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
It does sound like quite a powerful laptop!

1000 Euros is about 1450 US dollars. Looks like to replace the 2GB DDR3 from US sources would run about $65 or 50 Euro. So the price is reasonable.

Windows XP is likely going to only address 3.25 GBs on this laptop. That's the max and it could be a little less, but I don't think that 1GB GPU is going to steal any of it. XP is limited to some number around 3GBs of RAM. Vista would show the entire 4GBs. So it would be unlikely to factory equip an XP computer with 4GBs when almost 25% of it is lost.

And that's what I do on my XP desktop - have 4GBs of RAM and only have use of 3.xx of it - because my only other option is 2GBs.

So no game that runs under XP is ever going to "need" more than 3.25GBs of RAM since it would never find it. And I'm not enough of a gamer to say whether that's enough for the games you want to run - sure sounds like enough for me. This assumes of course that you replace and get the 4GBs. The extra 1.25GBs of RAM would definately improve the performance.

BTW, I was impressed by the detail and quality of the manual for this laptop, seemed to cover everything and step any user through it carefully.

Good luck!