Slim build with full size graphics card possible?

hInstance

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
First time poster, so please bear with me. I am looking for a build slim SFF tower similar to (or based on) an Inspiron slim or a HP Pavilion slimline, since I don't need a whole lot of components and I _like_ the form factor. I know I am going to pay dearly for this endeavor, but I am sure I am not the only one here who is after a specific look and prepared to pay for it.

I don't need a whole lot of oomph, core2duo does it for me, single hard drive, I can even do without a ODD altogether. The only problem, it has to fit a full size graphics card like a GTX 260 and be able to supply it with power (which puts this into the region of a 400W PSU).

I have done a bit of research and I know that there are a whole lot of shoebox type SFF cases from shuttle and others, but I have not come a cross a single slim tower design. I assume this is because it would require quite a bit of hacking to get the system running, the graphics card would have to be mounted horizontally (i.e. parallel to the mainboard) using something like a flex riser and additional cooling arrangements, and if a standard PSU would be used, it would also have to be flipped in a vertical position to fit.

Has anyone attempted to build such a system? Are there any commercial designs out there that work with minimal modification, or am I entirely on my own here and looking at a scratch-build case?

TRENDING THREADS