mussyo

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
i need to know the best most expensive am3 socket motherboard out for gaming, i want everything i dont care if i need it or not, prefer it to be mroe future proof and open but dont mind to much

price is no object

its for the am3 phenom II x4 965 BE

and can anyone tell me if that processor is better or the i7 this is just curiosity as i dont plan on changing it for the i7 :p so dont get into a amd vs intel fanboy warfare :p

thanks for the help in advance as you guys aint let me down yet :)

scippy4848

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
depends on what you want. I'm assuming you want the best built in vga, something that can support a demanding am3, lots of fast ddr3 memory, and lots of pci-e 2.0 expansion slots, but do you want a crossfire or sli board. In terms of brand, I would suggest Asus. Also, it is not as powerful as the i7, the i7 is an 8 core processor, and they are far superior to anything. To get their comparative power in numbers look at these charts (although I don't see you using 8 cores).
cpu charts
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

mussyo

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009

wow i had no idea it had 8 cores thanks for the enlightmen there mate, well im going to be using an amd phenom II x4 955 on this system, now i have heard a lot of rumours and etc but i think i might invest in a gtx 295 but am not to sure. cos atm i have a small 3650 and its not really cutting it if in honest. dunno whether to stick with ati or move back into nvidia again. so from what iv gatherd

i want an intel i7 975 with a gtx 295 or do i wanna stick with amd.... this is so confusing...

shall i sell out my 955 for an i7 :S :( help

scippy4848

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
ok so firstly, speaking of video cards, you want to figure out whether your going with ati or nvidia, so I would do research on these cards. That way you will know whether to go with a great sli, or crossfire motherboard for future upgrades. If you want performance i'd look at the ati 4870 x2, for nvidia the gtx 295. I'd say for performance stick with the 4870 x2, since I believe it's the fastest and all around best single card, then you could get a second, or even third if you had 3 or 4 way crossfire. I'm assuming performance is your primary or only concern. Whether or not you should stick with the AMD depends on what you'll be using this computer for. The 955 should have cores as fast as or close to as fast as the cores of the top i7's, but the i7 will simply have more cores. Almost no application, games, or anything are optimized for 8 cores, it's rare that things are even optimized for 4 cores, so unless your going to be doing some insane multitasking, i'd say stick with AMD. However, many things may be optimized for 8 cores in the future, but by then you'll probably wanna upgrade to the next generation of processors anyways. If you want the greatest bragging rights, you'll need an i7. However as an AMD fan and person on a budget, i'd say save your money, and upgrade when you'll actually use the extra cores on the i7, or get a processor from a future generation. (btw, pretty much anything you get, even a gtx 260 or 4870 will demolish your 3650)

dfecker

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
I'm in the same boat here. But I'm on more of a budget. I do know that I'm sticking with AMD/ATI for video and going with the 4850 or 4870. I've been burned by nVidia too often and most recently have spent the last three weeks trying to get my 8800GT to stop Blue Screening in Windows 7. I've actually returned every component in this new build except the Phenom II X2 550, 4GB OCZ DDR3, and my Antec TP 650 PS. I'm a single GPU person so no need for SLI or anything like that. Just a solid, reliable MB with Video, and other advanced features.

The Crosshair III is the best gaming AM3 board out. Too many pros to list and if paired with a 5850/5870 you will have a monster....

AsusX-Hair3.jpg

the i7 920 is no better than the 965 when it comes to gaming.......

dfecker

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
There's no video on the board, and it's slightly above my price range. Though I would consider it if it was everything I'm looking for or more. It looks like a solid baord, and reviewed extremely well (except for the on board sound).

Of course it has no video, the OP stated that he wanted the best AM3 board.

Tier 1 mobos do not have integrated video.... And if they do, then they are not considered Tier 1 =)

As far as the onboard sound, it does not have any... It comes with it's own SupremeFX X-Fi Audio Card =)

G

dont spend money on i7 975 if you want to move on i7 check for i7 920 stepping DO less cheaper on price and in oc you got close of i7 975

stfinney

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007

Technically, an I7 is not 8 cores. It is a 4 core processor that emulates 8 cores. It physically only has 4 cores compared to the new AMD 6 Core chip that actually has 6 physical cores.